Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Yeah that 2005 was a sweet one and if I recall it was Sean Boylans last game at the helm...

Hoping for a win this weekend just to cement our place in all ireland series than anything

Not too fussed on a race for promotion

O rourke won't like to make it easy for us and again it's hard to see either team finishing with 15

Hopefully it'll go ahead and our momentum will continue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

The snow is still lieing on the fields. Doesn’t seem to be melting. I can’t see the game going ahead tonight. Podcast thought tomorrow but I think that’s even looking unlikely at present.

I remember back in 2018 I think it was the game got delayed a week and Meath offered Pairc Tailteann at the time. The Meath supporters were grumbling when Cavan CB said no but it was a bit of cute hoorism. They can’t have ever expected Cavan to give up home advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Game ON !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

It’s on if it doesn’t rain any more which is a possibility, there’s another inspection at 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheGadfly

Where did ye hear this info. If true, that's great. Bitter cold though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

ALL SYSTEMS GO.........

Following a pitch inspection this morning Cavan County Board v Meath GAA will go ahead aslong as the weather does not deteriorate. 

A further pitch inspection will take place at 2pm

#AllianzLeagues 

#GAA

Sent out after 10.

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Well I'm going throwing snowballs at Meath fans, might put a stone into them for old times sake.

Ryan Brady named to start. Conor in the subs. Oisin Kiernan (Denn) drops out.

• Advertisement

Any word on the inspection at 2 pm yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

2pm inspection complete and game still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Fermanagh Armagh game has been rescheduled to 2 pm Sunday, subject to a pitch inspection in the morning. Cavan could be top of the League tonight. And then hope that some calamitous climate disaster stops any more games being played.

Forced Postponements (Allianz Football League Only)

• If, due to forced postponements, the games programme (including the final) in a given Division is not fully completed by the weekend of March 30th/31st, league positioning at the end of the last full round of fixtures played in that Division shall be used to determine final league finishing positions for the purpose of ranking and qualification for the 2024 Senior Inter County Football Championship and Tailteann Cup (as outlined in Rule 6.12, T.O 2023)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Ryan Brady for Oisin Kiernan only change. Carolan goes to FB line. Conor Brady in subs but no McVeety or Oisin Castlerahan

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Terrible first half from Cavan,only for a few bad wides from Shane Walsh Meath would be a lot further ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very very poor. The shot selection is terrible and the wrong people shooting. Meath lightyears better in that half. They should be ahead by 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Much better this half but still a lot of wayward passes. Just got the equaliser.

Atrocious game. Forget any thoughts of Division One. We’d be cannon fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

We are impressively sticky and grinding out results after leaving ourselves with work to do is a laudable.

Lots of aspects of our play was below par. Handling and shooting in particular. How many wides did we kick tonight? 10?

Tiarnan Madden needs to start, so does Cian Reilly.

• Advertisement

How many times in the first half did we continue to kick the ball into Paddy Lynch when he had two men around him at all times?

Meath could have been out of sight in the first half with decent shooting.

The chance that Gerry Smith put across the goal at the end - was it too tight an angle for him to fist it over?

Very luck the Meath 5 hit the post at the end. I thought that was curtains.

The Meath goalie Brennan was impressive from frees.

Ah lads and lassies, I Don know what to say about that. First half was just dismal. No other word for it. It was a hard watch. Second half we were much better.

The excitement was just unbelievable towards the end of that game. Meath crowd are passionate. I was very impressed with Cavan support today aswell though. We didn't let them down.

The draw actually doesn't do us much harm as regards promotion though (am I right in saying that?) Win the last 2 games and we are in Division 1?

I was all for promotion before today but on that showing I'm actually having second thoughts now. We need to regroup and up the standard or we'll be hammered above in Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hard to know how to feel about that…almost the same as TheGadfly above, at halftime if Meath got there misses…cavan would have been banjaxed at ht, second have a lot better from cavan but after the Meath black card Meaths other players seem to step up and content with the fact it’s 14 men, you wouldn’t think cavan had to extra man at the time as tall… What about to 2 cracking saves from Gary in goals aswel…apart from the 1 kick out on the sideline…great game from him!

Folks we got the l draw against a decent meath team

Did we deserve it... Yeah... No

Depends on what side u are lookin in from

7 points should see us into all ireland series

Armagh fcucj them why should we fear them let's go for it against them and see. What they are made of

So many mistakes tonight so many turnovers so much silly stuff it local Derby but a point is good

That isn’t a decent Meath team. They lost to Offaly in championship last year.

Why should we fear Armagh? Because they’ve been playing at a higher level for years and accounted quite easily for us last year.

They also absolutely hammered that Meath team we drew with tonight.

OK so a team that wins the tailteann Cup isn't classed as decent... What's the point of 2nd tier competition is the team that wins it isn't respected?

Armagh everyone jumps on the hype wagon for what reason? Playing AI series? losing ulster finals? any other county would be ostracised with mc geeneys record ... Our lads are every bit as good as them and hopefully we'll have a go at them this time instead of watching them play for 50 mins... Time to maybe start respecting our lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

meath have improved ten fold in the last year or two , the set up they have is huge , they are getting a serious tune out of the team they have bar the armagh game , they have been solid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Post edited by Sonny678 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Our lads weren’t as good as them last year when Armagh made a show of Cavan in Breffni. Armagh were within a kick of the ball of beating Derry in the Ulster final and within a kick of the ball of reaching the All Ireland semi final while Cavan were again getting embarrassed in Breffni by the mighty Down. Maybe we will be better this year, time will tell but as things stand we are well behind Armagh imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Agree here, If we turn up like we did in the first half yesterday evening and the same as the first half in Ardee…we may aswel go home at HT against Armagh…it’ll be worse 😪

looking at the Meath team yesterday evening they are a very well drilled side….some cavan lads physically couldn’t take them on in a tackle and cavan had to resort to resetting the ball which resulted in groans from the stand…understandable as cavan should be making ground and trying for scores when needed…one time I remember was when the ref blew the whistle at half time…cavan had the ball on the 20/30 meter line but Meath where man to man.

On the last two weeks performances, we are well behind Armagh and nobody can deny that.

Fingers crossed the week off will help them prepare.

Advertisement