Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭jos22

not to the general public, retailers were issued excel sheets with all the product codes with and with out the logo that have the fee

• Registered Users Posts: 82,321 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

FFS, if the plastics and cans are mixed that's going to require a whole additional cycle of processing to separate out and then crushing them prior to transportation to Limerick will make it even more complicated. I thought the idea of us bringing the cans and bottles was that they would be seperately sorted simplifying the recycling.

This whole thing needs a serious audit done of the resources going in to it against what was a simple process with the green bins that just needed a can and a bottle bin added at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I have yet to see one product that has the infamous logo on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Of course,keep things locked behind a NDA

The modern way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

lol, lemmings keeping going the way we're are, don't question. What private company is making the profits out of this scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Ah sure this sounds like a made up story!!! 😎

Well done and great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Thanks for the complement, but unfortunately it's real. maybe i shoulda took pictures or a video, that may have helped. But then again doing that in the property of a private business and then uploading it to the internet against their wishes is more troublesome then being called a liar by someone online lol.

The legal way around this would be standing outside some distance away from the entrance, avoiding being in anyones way and hoping to catch the right angle at the right time while the worker is still at the machine. a tripod and a proper camera would be the right equipment needed for the job, but i'm looking to make money here not spend it. i'm open to anyone donating a camera and a tripod for this purpose though. i could be the boards . ie recycling scheme investigator if it were a paid job, and bring visual content relating to the deposit return scheme to this thread.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭nhg

I was chatting to a friend in Aldi yesterday near the RVM machine, while there 2 ALDI staff members arrived with a hand pallet truck upon which was a large metal square box lined with a plastic bag, which they slid off to one side, then opened the machine and removed a similar lined metal box which was about 3/4 full with flattened cans & bottles all mixed together, and lifted it onto the pallet on the pallet truck and shoved in the empty box & closed the door on the machine again. They proceeded to the door on the right hand side of the RVM machine where you can put in the rejected cans/bottles and firstly picked up the cans/bottles that hadn’t landed in the bin inside the machine (appears to have been shoved back to far in the machine) and replaced that lined metal bin with an empty one.

Seems silly the the cans & bottles can’t be segregated to 2 separate bins within the RVM machine considering it can read a barcode it should be able to decide ‘left hand bin or right hand bin’. I can understand this with the rejects but not with the others.

When at the checkout, the manager was on the till and he was telling the people who were purchasing items with the return logo / deposit collected that those bottles were returnable which I thought was helpful.

I have been segregating all cans & bottles since 1st February (no deposit has been paid on them) to get the family into the habit of putting them into a shopping bag in the utility room but will most likely just put them into our recycling bin once 1st deposit is paid on something and start afresh with ones for RVM.

I always rinse everything going into the bag so no smell or spills to worry about (bit ocd that way)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Every shop gets a yellow wheelie bin that Re-turn comes to collect. Each shop will have a set day (or more if required) every week that they'll come to collect the bin. Exactly the same as the regular waste collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Yes, each shop is responsible for fixing the machines. Have to sign up to a service contract which costs about 1k a year per machine.

• Advertisement

yes that was one of the more unfortunate and disappointing things i've found out about. it just feels more and more like a recycleables cash grab at this point. Who knows maybe return sells the bails of recycleable material overseas and the buyers of these have to sort through them to separate and recycle them, or perhaps they have a machine that does it. i'm just hoping it does'nt get incinerated at the end of it all.

Either way i feel extremely mislead as i had always been alluded to believe with this scheme that if we present our clean containers to the machine they would be separated by the machine as soon as the container go in and get recognized by the scanner. that seems to be the case in big supermarket machines like aldi, however i have'nt yet seen the inside of an aldi (or other massive) RVM being emptied. i'm just hoping they really do separate them and not just have the separate chute thing for a misleading visual effect. Reminds me of the things some coffee shops used to do in the early days of having recycle bins with regular waste bins built in beside eachother and all going into the same bag.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/subway-recycling-restaurant-food-waste-b2025032.html

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Have yet to see anyone use or even go near these machines in a fairly substantial sized supermarket in my local town. I wonder what % of items will be recycled through these machines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

I reckon the retailer wanted to tell the fool to eff off

nah the worker was enthusiastic to see people using the RVM and more than happy to answer questions about it. Infact at one point he even complemented me after seeing me with 2 giant black bags (or made a sarcastic remark depending on how one interprets it) saying i deserve badge for all my dedication, and also noting that this is'nt the first time he had seen me there this week. And then joked about having to keep emptying the machine if i'm gonna keep coming back, to which i joked back about it being his job anyway and that the store is getting paid for it by making money off of each thing i recycle, which at that point things had kind of began to get sour as i had touched a nerve being too confident and cheeky lol.

But still though all went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭crusd

The whole system seems to be working quite well from the consumer point of view. I also happened to purchase a four pack of an imported craft beer and noted I was charged for the deposit ( Tesco). When I looked at the cans there was no return logo and thought there is 60c I will never see again. Took them along with me anyway when bringing bottles to Lidl and machine took them no bother. €2.85 from returned bottles and cans. Deposit paid on the purchase on the same day €2.25

Post edited by crusd on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Like most people I was surprised to hear cans and PET mingling in the same container, I had assumed the machine segregated them.

But, I am just guessing, it's probably a very easy, fully automated job to separate two and only two distinct materials at the processing plant, and easier to do that then maintain separation and keep double capacity right through the return chain from RVM to plant.

Is the €2.81 a typo as the deposits are .15 or .25?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Its not complex and there would have to be an additional sort, becuase different coloured PET are sold separately. clear and coloured PET have a different value.

Being a bit pedantic here and not knowing a lot about the actual recycling processing. Would I assume plastics at least are washed at some stage so why is the consumer being asked to wash before into the bin. A needless waste of water, no? And water we are told is a priceless commodity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭SteM

They don't need to be rinsed, they just have to be dry. I'd imagine most people will rinse them if they're storing them in their home just to stop smells etc. If you're storing them in a shed then you might not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The cost benefit analysis on this is going to be fun in years to come. I wonder does it come under the remit of PAC seeing as it is a national scheme mandated by government.

There's very obviously a LOT of people/organisations making money out of this scheme, either directly or via anchillary requirements.

There's issues with people claiming back deposits which they have paid, for a number of reasons.

There are some retailers who are operating outside the Ts and Cs of the scheme (which is expected in my opinion)

There is no sign of any method of supporting people who get their groceries delivered.

There are cost increases that producers are applying to their products, up to ten percent, that are not the "deposit".

There are significant numbers of people (based on this thread) who will continue to use their recycle bin for some of the reasons mentioned above.

These are all verifiable facts and as such, one would have to ask, how likely people are to engage/contine to engage with the scheme bearing in mind all of these issues.

Excellent points made and as always, you and I the consumer will pay over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cushtie

First go at bringing items back yesterday to a Lidl RVM.

Large selection of mainly cans and a few plastic bottles. Rejected a couple of 2.0 litre coke bottles, so I chucked them in the recycling bin on the way out. I think I had checked the bar code on them on the checker previously and thet were OK, I didn't have the initial receipt obviously so wasn't sure how to go about getting back the 25 cent for those.

Fairly painless experience, had a good few curious onlookers, looking to see the machine in operation. I was getting a bit paraniod about the amount of Bulmers cans going in 😁😁😁😁. Nearly forgot to hand the voucher to the guy on checkout when paying for my shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah I've noticed some in Dunnes.

Club Rock Shandy for example has switched over to having the logo.

Pepsi seems to have changed the packaging in general, not just the logo added.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Used an RVM for the first time yesterday outside my local ALDI, it's enclosed apart from the doorway. The stench of stale beer was incredible, the place is going to be full of wasps in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Don't buy 5 litre bottles, charged the 25c but literally impossible to get that back as the bottle doesn't fit..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭SteM

Complain to the place you bought it, there is no deposit on containers above 3 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I thought they were exempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The places you shop must keep immense amounts of product on-hand.

My local Lidl has basically nothing without the logo now; ditto local Centra. Work canteen is the only place I'm still seeing most stuff without logo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement