Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Not nice for anyone that’s already ordered one but not surprised. BMW need volume in that sector. I still think €10K off is not enough for what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Where do the 530e and 520i go then to be attractive? 60k?

Or still at price parity with i5 and take your pick of them?

Overall it's good news and many of us saw it coming. VW, BYD and Tesla moved the markets here and anyone not following must be losing out.

Budget brands, MG, BYD, small cars, sub 30k

ID3 and competition, 35 to 40k . Cupra born, Megane, Tesla 3, astra etc...

ID4 and competition, 40 to 45k. Enyaq, Ioniq 5, ev6, Tesla Y, Toyota bzrx, etc

Premium small SUVS 50-60k ish, Q4, ix1, EQC

Premium saloons 55-75k (not that there are many or likely to be). Up against the BYD Seal here big time

Premium SUVs 80-85k, ix, Etron, ipace, EQE SUV

Taycan and Etron GT and the like, performance cars, 100k+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

530e and 520i should be below the i5 40, which is below the i5 60. This is always the way, a 520d costs less than a 530d for instance. It wasnt that long ago that base 5 series started below 60k btw

Yep, I've owned plenty. The one that stands out to me was the €67,000 e60 523i 2006 reg I had, I remember thinking how the hell did anyone pay that for a car that was slower and thirstier than a 520d at 20k less back then. And 400 more a year to tax.

Wasnt a great car, nice spec but thats about it. I bought it for buttons around 2013.

I think the market will accept a 70k i5 40. How low would they go with the 520i and 530e though, will they go back as far as 60k if they have to?

I suppose they still have profit margin at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I think 70k base for the i5 as it needs some options fitted and 65k for 530e would sell especially if they reduced apr on finance as that’s how most are sold

• Advertisement

I only owned 2 535d from the e60/1 era, personally. Most of the 523i that ended up here were imported from the UK where it was more economical to own a 523i vs a 520d unless you were doing high miles due to their fuel taxation.

I think 70k start for i40 and 90k start for i60 was what I was expecting and I would agree that is reasonable. Ultimately, the amount of folk reporting being contacted by dealers on sales calls would suggest they need more sales and thus prices may drop to that level in time anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

Do the manufactures have emission quotas they can’t exceed in Europe that are getting tighter? So they really need to shift a number of zero emission evs to bring their overall numbers down?

If so, it may help force them to reduce prices to shift them (in addition to fact it’s overpriced and ppl don’t see any value anyway in buying!)

bmw sales guy on to me again. Clarifying that the price reduction is not actually a reduction on the m sport .

They are introducing a new sport spec that works out about 10k cheaper than m sport he said. He admitted the i5 not selling but said 530e has lots of orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

ok so that makes sense - they aren't cutting the price but introducing a poverty spec "sport" with less features.

that won't work. they'll probably end up doing that with the 520i and 530e - introduce an SE spec like they used to have.

Yes but they can sell i4, ix3, ix, ix1 etc to meet the quota. Looks like they are trying to price people into buying the 530e here if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

At this rate they will probably introduce a less powerful eDrive 25/30 i5 to bring the entry price down. Reminds me of the days when a 518i and 316i were introduced to the Irish market because of our tax regime at the time.

Thats where the 320d/520d came from too!

They were successes, good cars though, arguably the pick of the bunch from the last 20 odd years

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

BMW can’t fulfill orders for the 530e - they may have orders but people ready to walk from deals - 5 months I’m waiting next week and still no sign !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Is this the G60 530e?

There is some issue with the cars at present- many like my own finished production in dec 23 - some are in Ireland others haven’t been shipped - be interesting to see how many will be registered for feb 24 - unless they all get released next week or something I suspect it will be very low

Can the sales man not explain what exactly the issue is? For an €80k+ car I'd demand better communication.

My neighbour picked up his new 530e the other day so they must be available for deliveries now.

have to admit I was more impressed than I thought I would be with its appearance after having looked at them a while back.

loads of kit on it and still a chunk cheaper than basic i5.

m sport pro In oxide grey. It’s a very big car now though on the outside anyway.

Yeah one of our neighbours has a black pro msport - not sure if it’s 530e or 520i yet.

called into Franke keane naas road yesterday to spec one up and price and I was told none of the sales reps had time to talk to me haha

anyone have recommendations for bmw dealers within an hour of Dublin? Don’t care about reg plate so if I can get a better deal buying new off one I’d travel down to Wexford or up to Dundalk etc

Reg plate will be your own address no matter where you buy it if it's brand new. If already registered then you take what you get.

I'd just ring every dealer, there's not that many of them around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,139 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just go to any country dealer reg will be your address no theirs,

much better service in Audi Wexford v south Dublin for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭joe1303l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Saturday can be a terrible day to go car shopping. More tyre kickers and those with lots of time to kill only browsing in showrooms on Saturdays. Generally less staff working on weekends too. If you can get in on a weekday then you tend to be taken more seriously.

i thought that. i actually just need to take the 520i for a spin to check it and double check the B&W system is still €2k extra and then i can order over phone from a dealer later in the summer

I tried three country garages when changing my bmw . The difference bettween the most and least expensive to change was a whopping €6000. Exact same car . Worth the drive for me and can always get it serviced a little closer - definitely shop around .

Just shows the margins they have in the car and whatever your trade in is.

my friend traded in a Land Rover for a BMW. They gave 25k and I saw the car for sale two weeks later for sale for 36k.

it was sold in a week.

it needed a valet and some small cosmetic fixes when traded in.

In that segment, for every LR that sells, theres another that sits for 6 months.

My point wasn’t really about it being a Land Rover but the size of the profit margin on the trade in. They also made money on the BMW that was purchased.

explains how there can be such disparity in trade in deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Woodie40

Advertisement