Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

thing is it’s more than likely going to be them. So they need to get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,605 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Varadkar, Martin, Ryan.

What a wonderful society you guys are building here.

💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

What a disgusting smack in the face to those waiting on housing lists for years. Nearly 3,000 waiting on housing lists up here but yet they can fast track these buildings very quickly. Honestly, people talk about racism and discrimination. Is this not what is at play here but to Irish people. Xenophobia to the people you were brought up with. Patriotic you aint.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/sligo/plans-to-build-167-modular-homes-for-686-ukrainian-refugees-in-county-roscommon/a1235492684.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Are Irish people on housing lists not being provided with modular homes already ??

This from Feb.19th 2024 IT re modular homes in Galway..

"Tuath, the State’s largest approved housing body, has already delivered 370 cost-rental homes, with an additional 1,500 homes in the pipeline. Tuath Housing manages more than 12,600 homes nationwide, accommodating more than 30,000 people. It currently manages 275 homes in Galway."

Not to mention modular homes/ apartments for social and affordable housing in Cork , Islandbridge ....

While I do agree they have been slow in coming they are providing them . And they have to keep up with provision for Ukrainian and other families as well otherwise these people are costing a lot more to house in hotels !

This is coming from a different fund than Department of Housing .

And if it is not done they will be looking for the same rental housing that our own are putting even more pressure on a tiny squeezed market .

But yes, as Claire Kerrane TD said , not to be informed when looking for housing for Roscommon and Ballaghderreen locals for years and then to read of this in the newspapers is a slap in the face for communities and tds alike.

This government are really a disgrace at this stage I think we can agree .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭combat14

how does not managing our borders work i.e. no borders, how dangerous is that, how effective is that, what does that cost?

some would argue the very security of the state

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Parnell Square attack and subsequent riots are before the courts. No discussion of either is permitted on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

To be honest I don't think the average dub on the housing list would be up for uprooting to Roscommon and the build quality of these "modular homes" leave a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The situation really is out of control.

Thousands living in hotels, huge lack of housing, the planning process being set aside.

A total mess. The Government have copped out. Soft talk about benefits of immigration when they know it needs to be reduced dramatically. Not one party talking about effective deterrents for people coming without documentation. Fcking disastrous abdication of responsibility from the political establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

To anyone reading this who is concerned about the immigration issue:

If you vote for FF FG SF Labour Soc Dems Greens any of the left wing smaller parties like PBP - you will see no change to the current madness, it will get worse if anything.

I beg you to consider alternatives -whether that be independents or smaller parties who are clearly committed to major immigration policy change - things will not change without this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lack of new affordable housing has little or nothing to do with immigration. Most new mortgage holders are Irish citizens - the problem is there aren't enough new houses or the cost of taking out a mortgage is too prohibitive. This is a housing supply issue first and foremost........the immigration angle is almost irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Sorry that's not true, though you are right the rental market is much more effected by immigration.

The government are actively buying up houses both directly and through bodies to house non nationals. This means there is less supply.

Also any stats on the above claim, would be interesting

And if you vote PBP, Sinn Fein and especially Soc Dems their immigration policies are far more lenient than the current bunch. which is why none of them is getting my vote. Soc Dems will do the most damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

But sure Holly said at the party conference all the problems facing the country at the moment can be solved.

Why do you say this?

You give no rational explanation here except your opinion.

At least Soc Dems Labour and SF have promised to do more about the housing and rental market and health which will certainly make things better for a lot of people

Voting for a one topic independent is a sure fire way to waste your vote.

Might get to influence government if they row in with them, on a few minor local issues, as has happened in the past with Lowry and the Healy Raes but not major economic or social policy.

Usually end up languishing on a back bench somewhere or shouting at the govt of the day evety so often.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Ya mean cheap labour for unviable businesses. Or business fat cats taking advantage of it. That kind.

If her talking educated foreign labour yes we need them to sustain economy along with our own workforce

She did. Doesn’t matter she won’t get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

This mentality is the problem. There's only no point only because you feel there's no point. I mean collectively, not you as an individual.

How is anything going to change when no politicians represent the people's will

No.

Independents are worth a shot.

All these political parties need a good hardfigurative kick up the backside.

Well he did specifically mention immigration in the post.

Leftist parties in power would be even worse than the useless crowd we have at the moment.

Only last week O Riordain was giving out the Government used the words "clamping down".

Holly Cairns spent about minute of a half hour speech talking about it at her party conference.

McDonald and her merry shinners nearly run a mile when its mentioned.

That is literally one topic, hot at the moment granted, but to most people just one issue in a number of hot issues.

If there was another scandal about waiting lists / ED waiting times before the next poll, Health would be back up there with Housing always a major issue.

Opinion polls do change from one to the next depending on what is getting people's attention at the time, but the 3 issues that are top all the time will be top for most people looking for a new government.. Housing, Health and Cost of Living.

You would be nuts to vote for anybody that doesn't address these along with your "favourite" problem.

• Advertisement

Ok lets look at housing which Holly did talk about.

She says the SDs would build 50000 a year if they were in power.

Now in my yournger days I worked in the building trade so I do have some idea whats involved and in an industry where at the moment there is a chronic shortage of young men wanting to work in it thats pie in the sky stuff.

Oh and then we have Brid Smith saying we can put the lads with no documents arriving every week building houses, this stupidity needs no further explanation.

I'm no cheerleader for the useless shower we have at the moment but don't you think if it was really possible to build 50000 a year they would be doing it to take some of the heat off with an election coming up?

As said above in reply to galwayguy, of course you must vote for who you think will deal with immigration.. Just don't be disappointed if they get in but then do SFA because one or even a small group of TDS shouting in the wilderness are easily batted aside.

And none of the main parties will take them on except as voting partners maybe fir isdues they agree on.

Hence why SocDems are talking about coalitions, with like minded parties. Whether people like Holly, Mary Lou or even Ivana is neither here nor there.. Vioting for a new government should be based on policies not personalities

Having said that HC has brought a rise in support since she took over leadership and they are taking support from Sinn Fein and FF.

Much more chance of change with parties to the left of centre this time.

I would not be surprised and have said so before, if SF as a populist party, doesn't start throwing some breadcrumbs to those people who are thinking of going to vote right independent before the next GE.

Whats Bríd Smith got to do with anything I said? Never mentioned her.

Hard to engage sensibly with someone who is addng in bits like this.. I never mentioned any hard left politicians and don't intend to.

At least its not delusional and magic thinking... we will vote for somebody who magically" stop immigration. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,605 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Of course Holly and all the other left-wing parties have all the solutions.

They've all been pretty clear about wanting to embark on a huge state program of house building. All the homeless, all the asylum seekers are to be provided with own door accommodation. The bit they won't talk about though is funding it all. Given how expensive things are in Ireland, the cost if supplying the vast quantities of housing would run into the billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Your last point is interesting & something I have wondered.

SF are naturally pro-immigration, but they are also populist and now that their support is waning, will they put populism before politics and start to voice a tougher stance on immigration, in order to claw back support from the independents.

I dont think they will, as it would be anti everything they stand for, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

We need immigrants to support all aspects of the economy.

From Social Care, Retail, Hospitality to Banking, Tech and Pharma.

If we didnt need immigrants, we wouldnt have so many job vacancies.

I mentioned here I think about the modular housing row for Ukrainians in Roscommon and Ballaghaderreen and the political voice that came out against it ( saying it was because they had not been told about it) was Claire Kirrane TD of Sinn Féin.

She was saying that locals have been looking for this housing for years and now look!

Now do you think she will be censored for that? .. Lets see alright.

I think that may be the beginning.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Someone in power is going to have to call a halt on this madness. We are walking into an absolute disaster. Enough is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Do you not find it weird we have 10000s coming into the country and still loads of job vacancies. That should tell ya something for a start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement