Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I believe when this was pointed out to Mark McCarthy, he more or less admitted he was wrong, confused Sophie with the actress in the RTE reconstruction or some-such rubbish. He also made a statement that he witnessed scratches on Bailey's arms at the Christmas swim. He was a friend of Jules Thomas' daughter and no friend of Ian Bailey!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah we’ve discussed these so called “witness” statements ad nauseam on this thread - aside from the “90% sure recollection” of an introduction to Sophie, all of the others are simple hearsay and as you pointed out, all many years later - anyone continuing to believe that these pieces of information could be possibly classed as “evidence” no less compelling and convincing evidence, really needs to stay away from jury duty if ever called.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

All roads lead to Bailey...??

Review team strengthening the case against Bailey...?

Complete and utter tosh!

They didn't have a scrap of evidence against him 30yrs ago, and neither have they today.

Spare me the 'Oh yeah, I remember now' brigade - It's embarrassing.

There is absolutely nothing placing Bailey at the crime scene - Nothing! There was no specks of blood or fibres found at Bailey's residence or car he had access to - Nothing!

But what we do know as factual is this:

Pages were torn out of the jobs book

Gards supplied drugs & money to stooges to extract a confession out of Bailey

The Gards spead the word among the villagers that Bailey was the murderer, and he would kill again.

This is an iron clad case of gross negligence on the part of the Gards - It stinks to high heaven of corruption.

If people cannot see that - I feel sorry for them.

The facts are not pointing towards Ian Bailey... Quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Had it been shown that the searches have yielded nothing

This seems to be another creeping "fact"

that certain posters are misusing here

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭bjsc

• Advertisement

The recent searches

Posters are stating as fact that the searches yielded nothing

Is this the case as I haven't seen it

Subject to you stating that you are in a fact a criminal lawyer

I will hazard a guess that these statements are in fact possibly an exception to the heresay rule as miss du plantier is dead

Happy to be corrected by any criminal lawyers posting here but not by Google

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I don't see how it matters if IB met Sophie T du P;

Even if they had met briefly at a previous time, does that mean they "knew each other"??

There are neighbours in this very street to whom I've been introduced, but I've never had a conversation with them and wouldn't even be sure of recognising them. [True fact, I swear]

Does that make me somehow more likely to have murdered them (just supposing...) than a person who knew them better? I really don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As I've said before, it is nowhere near opening the door at 3am level of familiarity.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭bjsc

Do you mean the searches of Bailey's flat and electronic devices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Gards supplied drugs & money to stooges to extract a confession out of Bailey

Never been proven, all that came from Martin Graham.

In the picture of the bag of drugs it's never been proven that it was actually drugs.

In the West Cork podcast the producets are very careful to say it's a picture of Graham holding up a bag which contains "what looks to be a block of hash".

They are not willing to say it was hash, it's never been proven it was hash.

When Graham decided to go public with it all for the Sunday World the recording device he had inexplicably failed and there was no story.

And it was Graham who approached the Gardai first about Bailey, not the other way around.

I don’t believe Bailey met Sophie- he’s denied it from the start which would have been a dangerous thing to do had he met her, considering it was a small enough place- someone would have seen.

It matters in the sense that he denied meeting her- had there been a confirmed sighting of both of them together, it would have undermined his credibility on this matter.however no confirmation has ever been truely determined on this matter.

In terms of the likelihood of him murdering her had he known her a little or a lot, it’s probably a rarer occurrence of someone murdering a person they hardly knew -I posted an example a number of pages back of such a serial killer in the US- but it’s much more common for someone to be murdered by someone they know reasonably well.

You’ve been posting for the last few pages as it Gardai have made major strides in this case since Bailey has died without one shred of evidence- it’s becoming incredibly annoying now and it’s completely derailing the thread with fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If there was an award for worst post on this thread this would be it, albeit with stiff competition.

When was this forensic search of Baileys house and car for "specs of blood and fibre" done as a matter of interest?

So Sophie's neighbour who knew both states he was 80-90% sure he introduced Bailey and Sophie, and a judge ruled in a libel trial that he was likely telling the truth, but an internet randomer 20 years later who knew no-one related to this case thinks they never met? You couldn't make it up!

There is no one else the gardai are looking at because in 27 years no other credible suspect has been found. There may be a completely unknown suspect out there, but unless some new evidence comes to light, its not an avenue they will pursue.

The outcome of this cold case will either be to exhonerate Bailey or confirm him as still the most likely suspect.

Sophies family rightly or wrongly think Bailey is the perpetrator and with his death are satisfied to draw a line under it.

I’ve no doubt he was telling the truth - doesn’t mean he was correct. The very fact he’s only 80% sure is a clear indication he’s leaving the door open for reasonable doubt- as a result that testimony is as useful as a glass hammer in supporting a case of murder against Bailey.

"Sheridan stands by his assertion that prime suspect, the British freelance journalist Ian Bailey, who died of a heart attack in January of this year, was not guilty of the crime.

“For 27 years, this man was blamed for the murder with no actual evidence. The trial in France was a trial of a file from the Irish police that our director of public prosecutions said shouldn’t even allow him to be charged,” he said.

“I’ve done a lot of in-depth on it which you can’t get to do anymore in the newspapers because of the financial structure of the newspaper world now. Documentaries have replaced that in-depth reporting. I just wanted to get justice for Sophie and to a certain extent Iain Bailey. I don’t think he did it.”

Sheridan confirmed recent reports in the Irish press that he is going to bring a new suspect into the frame in the film, the emergence of which led to a reopening of the cold case by the Irish police in 2022.

The director acknowledged that Bailey’s death made it easier to proceed with the project, because of the complex nature of his private and public persona, linked to accusations of domestic violence.

“It makes it much easier because he was such a complicated character. It was hard for people to empathize with him, especially when the images of him with the domestic violence were forefront in your mind,” said the director."

Reporter seems to imply that the emergence this new suspect was the reason for reopening the cold case, which I doubt somehow.

Who's this new suspect ?

Is it the bantry garda , the guy who died by suicide or someone else ?

Suppose he has to fire up something "new"

• Advertisement

Mostly correct , although you're putting a slant on what i'm posting

1. I believe it's "likely" the gardai are focussed on Bailey and strengthening the case based on media reports

2. I don't have any evidence except media reports

3. It's not a "fact" that I am correct on point 1

4. I'm careful with the use of the word "fact".

Facts are thin on the ground in this thread we're mostly working off opinions and beliefs and likelihoods.

Let's hope there is more to go on than just Marie Farrell with this angle.

It is understood the individual had connections to Sophie’s former late husband Daniel... Sheridan said he knows who the man is and the name was given to the gardai by another person in an affidavit. He has called on the gardai to track down the man and get his DNA to see if he was the killer. He was identified after a photo-fit was drawn up in co-operation with witness Marie Farrell, who made a statement to gardai saying she saw the man following Sophie in Schull, Co Cork, on December 23, 1996.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/director-jim-sheridan-focus-new-31989279

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Well thanks at least on confirming that it’s your own opinion and not based on fact that Gardai are making strides in this case.

There are no reports in any reputable newspaper that I have read around significant new evidence in this case - yes Gardai are continuing their investigation- that’s not news- but no one outside the Gardai actually know what if any new evidence they’ve uncovered- they may well have solved this case but that’s doubtful at this point.

If you read my posts yad know it was an opinion

I believe there are probably reports in reputable newspapers

Can't recall right now and I'm not going looking

What'll the mob here to do with one ?

New alternative suspect based on Marie Farrell assisted photofit

I'll be interested in hearing the evidence linking this new suspect to the murder

Anything more than he looks like the Marie Farrell photofit and was an acquaintance of the husband

It’s a lead for sure. However the DNA angle is wishful thinking isn’t it? Do we know for sure that there is an unaccounted DNA at the scene? I know there’s a “splatter” of something on her shoe I think but was DNA obtained for that?

If there was DNA obtained, then it’s very likely Gardai know the likelihood of its origin in terms of at the very least, what country this person came from and if Irish, the county of their family roots.

If there’s unexplained DNA at the scene, which obviously isn’t Baileys, then it’s pretty clear that’s where the investigation should head towards in my view

Can you expand on how's it's a " lead for sure"

Anything at all to back that up

I know the sample on the boot was identified as male and not matching Baileys.

Other than that, I don't know if there was sufficient data obtained to make such calls as to ethnicity etc

https://www.reddit.com/r/MurderAtTheCottage/comments/vraf9q/forensic_tests_on_the_body_exhibits_and_crime/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A lead for sure.

Really?

A new suspect brought to you by a film maker who's commercial interest is to keep the narrative that it wasn't Bailey going as long and as possible.

And this new suspect is backed up by a photo fit from none other than Marie Farrell, the long discredited witness in this case.

Yea, that's a lead for sure.

Advertisement