Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Casement Park watch.

• 19-02-2024 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

19 February 2024.

Work begins to clear the site, even though there is no contractor hired to build the new stadium. As one commentator said, it is like taking the furniture out of a room to get it ready for painting. Unless the building work begins this year, it won't be ready for the 2028 Euros.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-68332197

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

No chance that the stadium will be done for the euros. The cross community goodwill simply isn't there. There ll be a stadium built but it won't be available for the Euros. Most Northern Irish football fans want nothing to do with it.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

And there's Northern Irelands problem in a nutshell. One side always looking for one upmanship over the other.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Off topic, but what might seem to be unlikely things can happen. Armagh are putting their new £10 million training complex in Portadown. Another report says it is a 26 acre site.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0212/1431890-armagh-gaa-begin-work-on-new-training-complex/#:~:text=Work%20has%20begun%20on%20the,art%20strength%20and%20conditioning%20facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It's really bizarre that a derelict GAA stadium was chosen for Euro 2028.

I assume that at some point around 2027, Belfast will be replaced as a host city by an extra city in England or Scotland who have a stadium ready to go.

• Advertisement

20 February 2024.

The Dublin government pledges €50 million to the project.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0220/1433351-50m-pledged-to-fund-casement-redevelopment-by-state/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭celt262

• The two governments don’t seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet on this it seems. Chris Heaton-Harris warning today that UK government funding may yet be pulled on the project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,437 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Advertisement

Cheers for that.

Hard to know what to make of that. I can't see them not funding, but who knows with the Tories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They only care about England. They won't want their voters scratching heads about funding a "foreign" stadium.

Also it's collapse means the addition of another English stadium to the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Maybe, but unlike Supervalue Pairc the new stadium in Casement is being guaranteed ulster finals whereas in cork they weren’t even guaranteed a football or hurling championship game from one year to the next let alone a final when it was built

21 February 2024.

Ulster GAA say that the stadium is expected to be ready in 2027, but not soon enough for the 2027 Ulster Final.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-68354653

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭celt262

I see your point but it doesn't justify the spend especially with the new format making the Provincial championships less meaningful and who knows what will happy with them in future.

It's also feck all use for Nuetral Championship games unless it's two Ulster teams playing. Cork has this issue also both are isolated from rest off the Country.

A competitive provincial championship is attractive in its own right and so long as it exists (which for the foreseeable future it will) you'll have large crowds and a bumper crowd at Casement for the odd semi final and ALL finals

Clones is the looser in this to an extent, but, with the new championship format they will likely get some neutral championship games and the odd Ulster semi final

I'm not sure if Casement is all that bad for neutral games either though. If theres a right bunch of Ulster teams in the last stages, then they can play at Casement, or if you have a Dublin v Armagh/ Derry/ Tyrone/ Donegal game (likely given so many Ulster teams in the mix) then its not far for the Dubs and easy to get to, and for the Ulster teams its no worse than Clones.

The crucial difference between Casement and Supervalue Pairc is that Casement will be more football focused for filling it and will have the Ulster council and croke park as fixture makers for neutral games who can send games to Casement with little room for counties to dissent, for the Pairc they rely more on Hurling games where theres home and away arrangements plus counties have sway/ vetos to send neutral (/forfeited home) games to the more convienent Thurles than the Pairc.

What could become a farce though is access to Casement as they are planning a park and ride system to placate locals, and I have my doubts on how good this could possibly be after a game to get 1000s of people all at once from a stadium to a car park miles away in 50 seater buses. If this blows up there could be as much dislike for having your county "sent" to Casement as it is down south to the Pairc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

The planned park and ride is about a mile away from casement, in the old days I have parked down where the park and ride is and walked up, the flip side I have been to a concert in boucher and the walked down, its not too bad a walk.

thats no problem so. I imagine OAPs will use the bus and the rest be glad of a stroll.

The British government literally just handed over GBP 3.3 BILLION to encourage the MLAs to get back to work.

50 million or so is small beer

28 February 2024.

A UEFA delegation did an inspection of Casement Park. Declaring it a nice bit of land.

https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2024-02-28/uefa-delegate-says-lot-to-do-during-casement-park-visit

• Advertisement

• Jaysus, rumours now suggest that the cost could be £300m+. I can’t see the Tory government coughing up the shortfall if this is anyway accurate.

03 March 2024.

The stadium has permission for something like 26,000 seats and 8,000 places for standing spectators. But the latest plan is to make it an all seater 30,000 for the Euros. And then go back to 26,000 seats for subsequent GAA games?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-68459160

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Francis McM

+1. And the new GAA president did the Campaign for a new Stadium at Casement serious damage during the week, by saying the GAA will only cough up 15 million of that.

• I think if this current plan falls through, then Casement Pk needs to be redeveloped as a GAA ground only and an appropriate level of investment should be given along the lines of what Ravenhill and Windsor Pk got.

That's what will happen. There will be a stadium of some description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Are parts of the stadium being recycled does anyone know?

Because I remember when the Cusack stand was redeveloped in Croke Park, loads of the old seats were put in Parnell Park.

--

If they do get a cross community multi sport stadium built it can only be a good thing for Belfast and NI in general.

Instead of the usual divisive symbolism that you normally get up there, this could be a shared symbolism if done correctly. I am sure the colour scheme will be well thought out etc!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

They should forget about casement for the Euros.

The additional infrastructure required for eufa compliance is light years away from the needs of a Gaa stadium. They need bigger reporter areas, corporate areas, food differences ETC. Once the euros are over it won't be used to that level again. Waste of money.

Give the euros to another GB city. Build a stadium suitable to GAA.

• Another update according to BBC NI. Capacity to be 30,000 for Euro 2028 to satisfy the all seater requirement for that competition. Then raised to 34,000 (26,000 seated & 8000 standing) thereafter.

Thats not really an update. The costs have gone through the roof and the British taxpayer can't be expected to fund the vast majority of it. I think the Irish government if it was serious could have offered a 100million of the 300 predicted and the UK government 150 with the GAA contribution upped to 50. None of that will happen now anyway.

Just an aside , iv been living in the UK a decade now and contrary to the propaganda the regular British person values Northern Ireland and knows just as much about it as my neighbours in Clare and Limerick back home. It's a myth that they don't care about Northern Ireland and indeed Ireland as a whole...shur so many of the British have Irish connections. I vote Conservative and there's aload of Irish in the local branch aswell...another myth busted.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just an aside I also loved in the UK for 10 years and they don't know it exists. Not a fuking clue who the DUP were and not a clue that parts of the UK didn't have abortion or gay marriage. They might care down the local Conservative club because it's a politically minded association but the general public don't care. Also there is no myth or belief that there isn't Irish Tories so no myth to bust.

300m is nothing for the Tory party who gave about 1 billion to Eton buddies for fake PPE.

Your talking pure **** to back up your Conservative leanings.

And if the British taxpayer don't want to pay up for Northern Ireland then maybe suggest at your next Tory get together that they give it to people who do care.

As another aside, you appear to be living in Great Britain, probably in England? People sometime say UK when they mean GB. Including journalists. I heard one of them reporting that the Prime Minister would be visiting Belfast, and returning to the UK the next morning. Another part of the UK which may have some influence on the future of NI is Scotland. Have your friends in GB got a view on that nation leaving the UK?

• I honestly think the GAA's heart isn't in this and they are just waiting for the plug to be pulled. Once Jarleth Burns said last week that it was "unfair" for the organisation to be expected to stump up more than the £15 million they initially promised, that was a pretty big red flag for me.

Yes I live in Great Britain . Thats also the UK so saying I live in the UK is correct also. Like people in Scotland ,England and Northern Ireland can say they live in the UK.

My friends and I would like Scotland to remain in the UK. I think that's fairly secure at the moment after the SNP implosion and the controversy that resulted in Sturgeon resigning. Northern Ireland is fairly secure in the Union aswell by the looks of it but things up there are really improving politically. I'd like to see Casement being built but like a poster pointed out, it's in a very Republican area and it's not really a GAA city to top it all off. Might be better for everyone if a smaller stadium does get built and the GAA do up Clones .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Tje big problem is the make-up of the Euro bid.

Had the UK not invited the ROI to join then there would have been no need to invite NI to join.

They could not politically have had a bid that excluded one part of the UK while including another country.

Had the bid been kept to England, Wales and Scotland then Casement would get built to a decent sized GAA standard for Ulster finals, neutral venue games etc.

Instead it's a white elephant that's going to have to be built to UEFA standards or not at all.

Well equally you couldn't have Scotland ,England and Wales and leave one of the UK nations ie.Northern Ireland out.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

Why do people say the Tory govt wont pay for the stadium? Sure whats it go to do with them? By all accounts and predictions they wont be in the next government so will be up to Labour to decide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭threeball

Take the €15million, try to get another €5 of the government, maybe €5 of the assembly and build a nice 7.5k capacity stadium to a really good standard with a Croke Park level pitch then move on. All this boll0x talk of euros and 34k stadiums for a geographical area with limited use for neutral games and 2 low attendance teams is absolute guff of the highest order. Just highlights everything wrong with this country.

• Piece in the Irish Times this morning saying that the UK government "will not discuss" funding until it knows the final cost. NIO spokesperson saying there are "wider public sector funding challenges".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

I really wonder what type of an individual you are when you are away from your keyboard.

You have a nasty habit of accusing people of talking bulls#it or telling lies, which you have been called out on at least once.

You need to reign in that attitude a bit as you most definitely are not as much of an expert as you think you are.

Typical keyboard warrior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You absolutely could.

The obvious reason being that there isn't a stadium suitable enough in NI.

But once the republic were invited it became political.

• Advertisement

If the majority of NI supporters don't want casement getting the money and won't set foot in the place then they can go to the 'mainland' to watch the game and funding can be given for a more suitable stadium at a reduced spec.

Probably England alone couldn't have won this bid seeing as they hosted the semifinals and final of Euro 2020 (played in 2021 due to COVID).

So they included new venues such as Ireland, Wales and N.Ireland giving it the impression of being different to 2020, spreading the game etc..

Now that they have been awarded the event, they don't need Casement Park, hence they aren't too bothered about funding it. If it's not ready by 2028 then so be it, plenty more stadiums around the UK.

Yeh, you easily could. These were the venues chosen for soccer at the Olympic Games 2012

Hampden Park, Glasgow

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Old Trafford, Manchester

City of Coventry Stadium, Coventry

St James' Park, Newcastle

Wembley Stadium, London

It would be a nice one in the eye to the NI politicians if they missed out due to all their squabbling.

It should have been a stadium for all at the Maze but squabbling over H-blocks will mean that there will be 3 stadiums that are completely useless beyond their current remit.

A wasted opportunity. Instead of a single shared space we continue with segregation.

If you look at it though, the 'squabbling' emanates from one quarter. Everyone was in favour of the Maze but..........

Everyone but that quarter is for Casement and the obvious benefits for all.

Geographically, symbolically the Maze was the best location. Everyone was on board until SF talked the UK gov into creating a museum on site.

The DUP were scared that this would end up being a shrine to republicanism there.

The plug was pulled and here we are. Gregory Campbell I think was the minister.

A centre about the conflict would be a huge money spinner if don't right. However, NI politicians have proven time and time again incapable of doing so. They might be a bit more mellow now than back in 08, but the chance is now gone.

Everyone was on board until SF talked the UK gov into creating a museum on site.

This isn't what happened.

A 'Centre For Conflict Transformation' was proposed for the site from the get-go when Edwin Poots was in favour of the project. His party where divided on it though.

Martin McGuinness and Peter Robinson actually agreed on plans for that 'centre' and it was the objections of the Orange Order that turned the tide and it was Sports Minister Gregory Campbell who ruled out the project in favour of separate stadiums for Rugby, Soccer and Gaelic games.

Okay. I was typing from memory so yeah there a bit more to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

I think you are misunderstanding how much of a GAA city Belfast is, there are clubs in all sections of the City including loyalist East Belfast. There are 28 GAA clubs at senior level in Belfast alone (possibly more). The nationwide Lads and Dads hurling program was started in Belfast. So you cant say that Belfast is not a GAA city. The GAA has probably the highest playing numbers of any Sport in Belfast.

No one is discussing the economic impact this stadium could have in Belfast, We don't have a venue big enough to attract big concerts, finals of major European football tournaments. Casement park will allow that really the cost is going to come back into the economy, local workers getting paid. Local companies providing the building materials.

There are thousands of children who have never had the opportunity to set foot inside Casement never mind play on the ground for their schools or clubs.

If this was Windsor Park there would be no complaints from the Unionist parties or the people who vote for them. There is one reason for the outrage and that is pure sectarianism.

Ah come on now. The costs are through the roof. There's plenty of criticism of the project on here from people besides me and I'd be fairly certain they arent sectarian.

28 senior clubs. I have to tell you that I didn't know that and Iv lived on the Ravenhill road for a few years. That's healthy but I'd be fairly certain association football would be the biggest sport in Belfast.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
Advertisement