Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The bulk of Sinn Fein's support is from working class communities - but these areas are the ones who are showing up in opinion polls as being anti-immigration. This is a bit of a conundrum for them. Labour has had similar problems in the UK and is now being accused by many of being an openly right wing party for its stance on immigration, Gaza etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

It seems like the well off who are sheltered and own business and are the most for immigration because for them, it's a source of cheaper labour. It's all well and good walking down a street with a placard saying "Everyone is welcome" when they won't be in competition for social housing or buying houses in well-to-do areas. They'll take their placards home and have a nice sleep in their own homes in lovely areas, not having to be in competition for work, housing and schools and so on.

You do have high skilled immigration which should be welcomed like doctors etc, but the government likes to muddy the waters by saying that the ones on rafts coming into Europe are also doctors and engineers, That is not that case. At the end of the day it is the government that is at fault and the cause of these issues and working class areas bear the brunt. All people want is a decent living, even the ones coming here, but there does need to be limits because if not you'll have that social cohesion break down.

We should not be letting people get multiple appeals when they've been found out to be not genuine, as they're taking up much-needed space for people who actually need it. Sinn Féin's support is mostly working class, and you'll have these small far-right parties trying to eat into their vote. They popped up just in time as SF is/was beginning to grow and their links with British Far-right and other elements would have me wary, I don't trust them or their motives. It'll help keep FFG in power by splitting the votes and taking away from SF and going to smaller far-right parties. The Labour Party has betrayed the working class and now runs on imported culture wars.

Post edited by Scipri0 on

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Interesting to see the latest poll. 10% drop.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'll agree with a certain amount of what your saying, but you think what gets missed in a lot of this is that it's extremely difficult to stop immigration.

Countries have spent billions and the boats keep coming. It's very difficult to deport people in a lot of cases, simply because a country has to be willing to accept them.

It may well be that O'Gorman etc have gone over the top with some of their publicity and tweets, but I think people will try to come to Ireland anyway. (As they did during the last boom)

On paper we're a very wealthy country and look like a very attractive place to live.

I think the focus needs to be on things we might be able to improve here, such as health and housing, rather than spending further billions trying and failing to stop immigration as other countries have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

so that’s it we let everyone and anyone come.? regardless? we give up. it’s cheaper and less hassle?

how about we start improving health and housing for irish people? worry about problems closer to home.

Or spare a thought for the hard pressed irish taxpayer who ultimately will pay for all this.

If your suggestion and apologies if it’s not is to not have an immigration policy, well then this country would look totally different in ten years.

• Advertisement

It's not really about stopping all immigration, but there needs to be checks on who is coming in. The guys taking the boats off the North African coast and travelling through various European countries to find one of their choosing are not doctors and engineers like some out there want us to believe. Skilled immigration should be welcomed, We need more doctors etc and so on. We don't need more people who'll hog resources like benefits and housing while given hardly anything back.

Countries have spent billions and the boats keep coming

The fact here is that they don't really want to stop it, and i include but left and right parties in that. Business wants more consumers and a cheaper workforce. You have the German government funding NGOs to pick people up off the coast of Northern Africa and ship them to Italy. What should happen is that the ships should be seized, and the crew arrested and charged for human trafficking, The NGOs should be raided and find out which groups and people are funding them, I think you'll find a lot of governments among others who are funding these.

The housing situation which the government enables here is driving people against one another. We need a massive building project and limit immigration to skilled workers. During Covid, we were all locked down and supposed to stay home, and yet we had people being shipped into this country to pick strawberries. Immigration can be tackled if they want to, but they don't as there's too many vested interests.

I don't believe the Far-right parties either when it comes to being anti-immigrant, and those are funded by wealthy interests as well. At the end of it i think it's for a source of cheaper labour but also to keep people divided and fighting among each other. This harms working class areas while the ones in control of business and capital benefit.

"New UN migration chief says private sector ‘desperate’ to take migrants despite negative narrative"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Bear in mind that the Govt has committed to training enough doctors and nurses domestically, to meet with a WHO Code of Conduct on international healthcare staff.

So eventually, we should not need to hire from abroad.

Mind you, we're a long way off that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭Damien360

Couple of things there. Committed is not a guarantee or legal so I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

The health service is a mess. It's not wages that is driving Irish staff away but the service itself. So unless we change how it's run, it's always going to be tough to keep up.

Its been a few years but I had to do a job in the royal college of surgeons. Must be 5 years ago now. What struck me was the sheer number of foreign students. At least 90% based on the central foyer area. It's a vast money earner for the college and I am lead to believe that won't change. I had only the staff as contact but they told me most will go into the Irish system to get their experience and then move on. You can gain good experience much faster here than other jurisdictions and move up the ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Half a million non nationals are tax payers - 20% of the entire workforce (I'm slightly puzzled that you would think only Irish people pay income tax in Ireland).

• Advertisement

Oh yes the magic money tree and budget surplus that’s burning a hole in our collective pockets.

But yet we read in the paper every week a shortage of something. School bus places. Not enough school places for autistic children where it’s left to parents to have to tell their story to in a national paper. Not enough school places for secondary school kids in some parts of Ireland. Never mind the national debt - ah shure we’ll sort that out later.

I get you have a strong views on pro immigration, I just can’t agree with them when we have so many things wrong in this country. And I know your views are entirely your!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭star61

If we have all this money then why do we have so many children with scoliosis who are on waiting lists for surgery. Why can’t we sort this out. It’s being going on for years.

because we are to busy saving the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Neale Richmond at it again . A Government minister has said he wants asylum seekers to be able to work after two months in Ireland once they’re “completely verified” and fit to do so.

How can we verify people when such large numbers are arriving without documents at Dublin airport after flushing them down the jacks?

Talk about sending out then wrong signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

In the sindo,enough said.media desperately trying to bury the elephant in the room/country on behalf of ffg

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's hilarious

Basically that boils down; trustworthy if they support anti immigrant views. Untrustworthy if they dont

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Well, that's where the government is wide open to criticism, not prioritising certain services even though they have the money. But to say they are are not spending money on these services because of asylum seekers would be very misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The IPAs dont have eligibility to work immediatley, but once the opportunity to work is granted, it is often taken up.

As an example, almost 20,000 Ukranians are working full time in Ireland.

And thats just the IPAs.

People coming from the EU or on work Visas etc are essential to keep our economy going.

As an example, almost 50% of our doctors are foreign born. Without them, half the medical services doctors provide across the country would not be delivered.

Yes, it has been very evident that SF voters are the most anti-immigration of the major parties, but SF themselves support immigration in all forms, which is why they stay largely quiet on the subject and prefer to just sling mud at the govt.

I still cant see SF changing course on immigration though, as it would alientate their core support and would cast doubt over their left wing foundation.

More likley that they will continue to deflect and not answer the question as to what their immigration policy is.

Perhaps more of their voters now see that they are not offering a different path towards immigration management vs the current govt and this realisation is likley contributing to their fall in support, amongst other factors.

Tbh I just don't buy the idea that it's vested interests that are keeping asylum seekers coming.

It's getting a bit conspiratorial in fairness and taking a few huge assumptive leaps.

I strongly suspect the reason people are trying to rescue those crossing the Mediterranean is just to save human lives and the lives of innocent children.

If some NGO's in this area have received German government funding I'd imagine it more likely due to political will, as a lot of people are shocked and horrified by the numbers dying trying to cross.

After that, simply why would governments and big business bother going to these efforts? If they want more cheap labour they can just issue more visas for unskilled workers. As seen throughout this and other threads, very few people object to visa migration.

• Advertisement

The better off folks are still impacted by IPA immigration.

If they run a business in a small town and the local hotel is housing IPAs, well thats less revenue for the business owner.

Someone earning a high salary that wants to rent in Dublin (and can afford to do so) is competing against the govt who frequently rent out new apartment schemes from private developers & repurpose them for social housing.

These estates then house IPAs/ people earning under the social housing limits, so the high earner is frozen out as they dont qualify for those homes - even though they could have afforded one on the private market if the govt hadn't interjected.

These schemes should be mixed developments, with some accommodation available for everyone and all budgets.

Overall though, I think your point is fair in that poorer communities are probably more impacted by IPA immigation, but it does have an impact on everyone.

Many folks accept that there is a duty of care to help those less fortunate and so dont have an issue with IPA immigration.

But perhaps more of those folks are from well off backgrounds.

What is the profile of a typical SF voter?

In the cities, it is likley to be a working class person as you say, but SF have a lot of support in rural communities also.

What is the profile of a rural SF voter?

But think of it the other way. Do you think they really care about their own people and yet somehow will care for these incoming people? The thing is that western nations are desperate for more people, as in quite most western countries you have population decline because native people don't have the time or security of having their own home to raise a family.

You have these business folk go on about the free market and how wonderful it is until it goes against them like when it comes to raising wages to compete for a small selection of workers, instead they lobby governments to increase immigration and grant more visa waivers.

The thing about the German government funding NGOs that were picking up North African off the coast of Africa and taking them to Italian ports is correct. A lot of NGOs worldwide are being funded by governments and groups. Which is why i think we should know who funds what when it comes to NGOs, and then you can see finally their interests. I'm sorry, but i do have a hard time believing that the governments truly have these people's interests at heart when they've no problems neglecting their own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@tom23 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

How many non-nationals are living in Ireland?

Out of the 500,000 working here, how many are in full time employment?

How many of the above 500,000 are receiving working-related welfare assistance, HAP, Medical cards, etc... to the tune that their tax contribution is dwarfed by what they receive?

How many non-nationals (and in particular those from other EU countries) are here living in social welfare and on jobseekers allowance? But apparently we need more coming here to fill those never seem to be able to be filled job vacancies. Here is a prime example why: Judge questions why someone on €570-a-week disability payment would return to work to earn €433 | Independent.ie

Some immigration into Ireland is warranted for skills in demand, however we are not getting alot of that now as the housing supply is crippled and rents are exorbitant for the one step short of slums offered. So savvy migrants with good skills are going elsewhere.

When Michael O'Leary is buying up houses for his staff it should set of alarm bells.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement