Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

5th time using the machine today, good size bag of bottles and cans, logos and no logos and still no problems. Inconvenient but working well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭airy fairy

So, as of yet, there is no impact on littering from the introduction of deposits, people don't care about littering, price increases or getting money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sandz066

That's a fair leap of a conclusion you've made from my comment. I didn't say that was the case at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Used the RVM for the first time the other day, had a bag of cans and bottles which I never paid a deposit on. Got €1.80 back. Very therapeutic experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

the sale price of it before the logo bottles came out on the shelf was 30cent. but they've often been relatively low for the past couple of years, usually between 29c-50. january it was 65cent. some of the other flavors have gone up since then to 69c i've seen. But to see something go from 30cent to 65c is quite the massive leap in price.

edit: thats excluding the deposit, including the steep deposit, its 90c. making it even more of a massive leap. even if it were from 65c its still a leap. the deposit is like almost half of the price of the product itself. this is insane.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Well you don’t have to say it but it’s very clear from your post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭airy fairy

But you said you made money from collecting bottles/cans that you found while picking up litter? The conclusion I've drawn from this is that these bottles/cans have only been disposed of over the last while due to you being able to get deposits from them. So people aren't bothering to return said bottles/cans for deposits. It's a poor start for deposits at this early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sandz066

What's very clear from my post is that litter hasn't been completely eradicated in the 1 month since the scheme went live, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

This situation reminds of the early days of enforced checkpoints for drinking and driving. Big blitz, many are caught and the Gardai clap themselves on the back, see what a great job we are doing. Few months later when the amount of checkpoints decrease by half or more, less people are caught, THE message is working see,but but, people being caught are way down-just maybe because less people being tested?

WIN WIN for masters of spin. Reports of people collecting littered items-system working as devised. Reports of little or no bottles being collected-see our system is working, less litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

I tired to return plastic bottles with the return logo on them and the machine rejected them. Do I need to go to another machine to return these bottles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I don't drink that stuff to be honest but doubling of the price is pretty bad alright

You can get the 25c back so it's in fact only 65c

• Registered Users Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Big bag of "returnable" bottles... only 2 accepted by the machine. 50 cent returned.

This is a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Possibly a bit early to identify an overall trend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Did you try the bottles more than once? I had a bottle that was rejected initially but when put in again went through fine in the same machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Sat down for a sambo in in a supervalu yesterday. Got me an innocent juice.

There was a machine in the shop, but I didnt use it as i'll never be near that supervalu ever again as i was just passing. And even so, there was nowhere to wash the bottle even if i was going to use it. So off i go bringing a bottle home on the bike with me so i can get my 15c back instead of just being aboe to throw the bottle in the green bin at the shop.

What a joke of a system. More hassle and expense to people already recycling is all it is.

As someone who recycles everything, im getting to the point now where if i ever get any bottles or cans that a machine wont take im just going to throw them out on the road, just to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

This also happened me at weekend. Initially rejected. Tried it again straight away and worked.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

• Claire Byrne interviewed two retailers and the ceo of Re-Turn. A holy mess atm. CEO is blaming the retailers. Not a good look overall as things stand. There’s big room for improvement, may happen, but just at the minute I remain sceptical.

• Don’t do that but maybe put them all in black sacks and dump in the CEO’s front drive 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Awsome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

You could have just put the bottle in the recycling bin and forgone the deposit, im beginning to feel thats what they want us plebs to do.

When you actually sit down and think about this new system its all just a bit mental. Who actually asked for this new system?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭jj880

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The two retailers were quite restrained you felt in terms of their criticism. Privately they'd likely tell Minister Smyth & Mr.Foley to take their scheme and shove it up where the sun don't shine.

Foley then comes on afterwards, was he asked to debate with them live on air and declined? Anyway, all sweetness and light according to CEO Foley. A few little teething problems but he has 2 million containers collected in first month. Claire gave him an easy ride and barely raised a few of what was most likely an avalanche of complaints from the public.

One chap wanted a machine installed at sports club for young people. Mr.Foley purred and agreed and then a minute later poured cold water on it and advised them to get a bin, then queue up at some existing machine.

If there was a way to bring back the public stocks, he'd be prime citizen for same and let the public let him know what they really think.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

For those out foraging, it would be interesting the % of what they collect is plastic, aluminium can beer and aluminium can soft drinks.

My experience is from doing litter picking and clean ups.

Just top of the head because I never actually compiled figures I reckon about 50/50 cans and plastic on the soft drinks.

Beer cans mostly turn up in places where people congregate to drink rather than one offs.

Sometimes you'd come across a beer can on the side of the road and kind of hope it was a passenger rather than a driver 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

just came back after being out today, one thing i've noticed is that not all machines accept the same bottles. For example the one your mentioning, and also tesco's orange water don't seem to be accept by other machines (maybe they need updating? idk) and the biggest problematic bottles for me for the most part seems to be the small tropicanna bottles and the small fruit shoots bottles (both containing the logo and undamaged) never seem to be readable by most machines. Tropicanna worked in tesco today. i'm gonna have to dig through my pile of receipts to look for the fruit shoots deposit and follow it up, as machines don't seem to be taking them.

as for the bottles you're talking about, 65 cent would be okay if any machine accepted them, and not just the tesco machines. i've tried aldi and centre and dealz and dunnes, no luck. i have yet to try the tesco apple elderflower and the other orange bottle in a Lidl's machine. in a weird kind of way it feels like some sort of scavenger hunt to find which machine will accept a tesco return bottle (which should be accepted everywhere) other than tesco, seems like a case of "return to sender/bring it back where you bought it" kind of deal.

i wonder who has access to updating the machines, can re-turn do it at the touch of some buttons? or must they come out and install some sort of update manually onto the thing?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

i would like to retrieve those black sacks for.... educational purposes. Is his address deemed public knowledge? XD

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement