Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Who in their right mind thought United would get anything from that today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Everyone knew it was highly unlikely but there is still an obvious annoyance from Pool fans in here.

Why else would a pool fans be online at 10pm on a Sunday night talking about Utd?? They are pissed and I get it. It's 1 less game City could slip up in gone.

Thinking it'll happen and hoping it'll happen are different things.

This thread is full of Liverpool fans who are furious and trying to hide it as "being objective about Utd" or whatever excuse. You wouldn't be online at 10pm on a Sunday night talking about a result unless you were annoyed about the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No annoyance whatsoever. It's a football thread - general premier league thread actually - so fairly obvious why we are on it. Your posts are silly, are you sure you're not annoyed at your own teams performance (or lack of one)?

Lol not at all. Activity on the thread because serious nonsense been posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sancho, Mount, Hojlund, Varane and Casemiro never played for him. How much did they cost? North of £300 million?

I'm well used to these performances, don't worry about it.

There's nothing silly about it. Post after post from Liverpool fans crying about how bad Utd are. Then trying to act like ye aren't bothered 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The manager has the final say with regard to transfer dealings so all of those are Ten Hag's men and four of them are expensive flops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Ten Hag's biggest issue is his lack of a plan B.

All the great managers can adjust to adverse situations such as an injury crisis etc.

Ten Hag is lost without his first eleven executing his ideas to the letter, even at that his sides haven't been great against top opposition.

All season Ten Hag has been beating the injuries drum, well tough sh1t Erik that's the job suck it up and set your side up properly.

United have been a basket case for a decade, hopefully with INEOS that will be coming to an end but it will take a couple of years to realise that. Ten Hag won't be the manager when that time comes around, regardless of whatever assurances the new bosses are giving him and he's naive if he can't see that.

Glazers Out!

Show me the documentation you have to prove that statement about the manager having the final say or link me to where somebody from Manchester United said he has the final say please.

If you don't have any of that then don't state things like they are fact if you have no proof.

• Advertisement

So its all Ten Haag's fault and then you say United has been problematic for a decade. Which is it?

°°°°°

The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

The club has been mismanaged and Ten Hag is currently a symptom of that himself.

Not sure why you think it's an either/or situation.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Pfft, only seeing this now.

Essentially reads like "highly sensitive internal documents or GTFO". Bloody hell.

Glazers Out!

Or a quote from somebody at United. And yes, gtfo if you are making a statement of fact which is not a fact.

If he's a symptom then you can't blame him. If the club is going to get back on track then you should give him time to prove himself.

I predicted he'd do well his first season but that the poison at the club could become a problem like it did for every other manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The people who are bad at recruiting did a bad job recruiting the manager. He’s a symptom of the problem, while also personally adding to the problem by being a symptom of the problem.

Better people need to be in charge of bringing in better people, including better managers.

Well I don't think he's a bad manager, he's just been stuck in a bad organisation. You cannot perform at your best without the right people around and I'm not just talking about coaches and players. Those involved in football higher up the chain have to be found good work as well.

Nobody has any idea if Ten Haag had any input into the signing of Mount or Sancho. Two England internationals is what a club likes to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You didn’t answer my question :(

ETH can have time with a “new proper board” but if they let him get more of the players he wants it seems like an objectively bad thing for Utd.

As to the rest, seems a few of ye really dislike Utd being discussed in the main thread! But make no mistake, we’ve been expecting City to win the league all year. Yesterday didn’t change anything.

The very fact he's previously coached most of his signings would suggest he has the first and final say

• Advertisement

Three out of ten is not most of his signings and that's not including the five or six loan signings all of which he never had anything to do with prior to his appointment as United manager.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sancho is before ten hag.

Hos in game management and his squad management in terms of resting players , last season more so when he had options, has baffled me.

Yes the organization is bad, but he he's been poor too

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think it’s pretty obvious that signings have been at the discretion of the manager at United for years. They’re squad is a hodge podge of previous managers targets even if they’ve already had players for that position.

Regarding ETH, while it’s clear that the general dysfunction at United hadn’t helped, there’s very little to suggest that he could take them forward if Ratcliffe sorts that out. His signings have been poor especially considering how much they’ve spent, and there’s no discernible style there, certainly nothing like his Ajax days.

He did well last season, 75 points in the league and a trophy was a great first return. But I think he was blessed to have the Ronaldo situation to deal with. An obvious bad egg in the dressing room, having him to cast out and stamp his authority galvanised the team, specifically Rashford.

This season though, he tried the same thing again with Sancho, but it had the opposite effect, and he’s not really been able to do anything about it. The whole season has been at best flashes of form, but zero consistency and a massive regression from last season. Can’t see him lasting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Looking at a good few United games this season and they could probably be 10 points worse off than they actually are. They've been putrid in a few games, completely outplayed and someone pops up with a moment of magic. Unfortunately that isn't sustainable and results will eventually follow performances.

The big question is what INEOS does with ETH. He has one season left after this season, do they give him an extension or let him go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

ETH previously coached Amrabat, Onana, Antony, Martinez and had tried to sign both Malacia & Mount at Ajax before eventually they signed for him at Man Utd.

ETH's agent, the same agency where his son works, was brought in this summer to 'oversee' some transfers in and out of the club. This included Amrabat, Hojlund and Zidane Igbal (who was sold to a a club ETH previously coached) who all have the same agent. There is another high profile player who has this same agent and only this week has publicly said that ETH tried to sign him for Man Utd - Cody Gakpo, who also used to play in the Dutch league. There was strong links with Man Utd wanting to sign Hojbjerg last summer and yep you guessed it, ETH previously coached him.

There are far too many examples for it to be coincidence.

• Advertisement

What would lead you to believe that INEOS would run the club the same as the Glazer family did?

Everyone knows Utd have been operating with an outdated transfer strategy for the last few years. It was between the manager and a couple of suits who really should not have been having input into the deals. They had a wait-and-see approach to the transfer window instead of having a clear plan for what player profiles they would be targeting ahead. It was a mess because those above the manager were not competent at their jobs.

Klopp and Pep have been successful in their squad building because the teams behind them are also best in class for the most part. Klopp didn't identify all the players that pool signed for their squad and apparently, he wasn't that hot on Salah. But he had a team behind him who pushed/helped him to make better decisions.

• Had Pool not had the correct staff behind Klopp to supplement him then Klopp would have got nowhere near where he did.
    • Had Klopp or Pep signed for Utd in 2016 they would not have got Utd to the levels they got City or Pool.

So why would we think ETH can pull those things off without the correct setup?

What it could suggest is that those above him were so incompetent at their jobs that they pissed away summer transfer windows and then panicked and put pressure back on the manager to find a player.

ETH is not a transfer scout. He would have knowledge of players obviously but it isn't his job to find players for the club to sign largely. He should be advising the player profile he needs and then working through a list of players who fit that profile with the transfer team.

Like every other top team in Europe has been doing for 5/10/15 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ten Hag is a good coach and it's not worked out. He looks like he knows the jig is up himself. The fact he can't get a tune out of Antony who was his marquee signing and should be his lieutenant on the pitch is very bad.

Other things like sticking with Garnacho game after game for the full 90 when he's not at the level yet and the team are not scoring. Allowing the team's 2nd biggest goal threat in Bruno to play anywhere other than close to goal. Doing nothing to reduce the distance between attack and defence so leaving a highway right through midfield.

They are actually above their xG and below their xGA despite being in negative goal difference and struggling to beat even the worst teams in the league. A clean break is needed as it has not worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well again, the desire to try and place ETH on Klopp / Pep’s level is understandable, but misplaced. Pep and Klopp had run winning systems at the sharp end of the game for multi season stretches before they arrived at City / Liverpool, respectively.

Ten Haag won a few titles in the Dutch league, but we have seen that not translate before (for both managers and players). His team threw away a CL semi final to Spurs which was his one strong run in Europe (and his CL effort this year argue a case for him being out of his depth tactically against elite competition).

He doesn’t have the pedigree United fans are so desperate to assign him. As such, the nature of his performance in the job this year should be hugely concerning. The board and owners don’t dictate tactical setup; they don’t insert themselves in all of his individual conversations with star players; and they are right to supply him the players he says he wants. The owners had to go and the current United squad isn’t good enough; but a more able manager is clearly needed, if you just focus on his own inputs.

I think you can safely let this guy go tbh, it’s not going to be a “what if” moment, his best days are not ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I agree that not having great people above you limits the potential ceiling of success, but if you need that perfect situation above to be able to exert the influence your job requires upon those below you, then you probably shouldn’t be in football management.

First and foremost irrespective of what’s going on elsewhere in the business, your job is to get your bunch of professional players to do the things you want them to do. If you can’t manage your own players into a cohesive tactical plan, then you’re not doing a good job.

You mentioned Jose and Van Gaal before - neither had the success they’d have wanted, but both very much made the team look like one of their sides. I’ve still no idea what an ETH team does. I don’t think he’s an idiot or anything, it just seems this step was perhaps a bit too high for him. I’m sure he’ll do a decent job at a lower level again.

• Advertisement

While all that is true, and I agree with you that the transfer decisions should have been taken out of his hands. Obviously have some input, but not be the main voice. A proper set up provides recommendations or advice and then manager can have a say. A recruitment team is better than a recruitment person in most ways.

But isn't it also true that the chief scout at Man United had lined up a deal for Pau Torres in 2022 and ETH refused to sign him, got his way and Man United singed Martinez instead? One of his first signings and throws his weight around like that. it sets the tone really. Can the scouts continue to recommend players with confidence after that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yes, i get you.

but City take absolutely no risks in possession of the ball. there are multiple times in a phase of play where a pass could be tried, and it's nearly always rejected until the perfect opportunity comes along. I know that's in part to do with how exposed they are on the counter if they do lose it, but Pep has already neutered Doku for instance. He was just about the most exciting player in the league when he came, but now his take-ons have dramatically decreased.

it's perfect, riskless football by the best group of players in the world. i don't begrudge them it. it's successful. it's just not fun to watch.

There have been many stories over the years (long before ETH came in) of players being identified by Utd scouts and then the club not moving on them. There is a massive disconnect between what the scouts are doing and then what is happening with what they are feeding back. Again, it feeds back to the same problems at the club.

That first summer in particular I think the club leaned on ETH more than it should have and that was likely because we had not prepared the correct transfer targets for him to change the squads style of play. It looked from the outside that the club did feck all before he officially started.

I can understand under the circumstances why ETH would go with the player he knew could do what he wanted from his CB.

The second summer amazingly we somehow didn't get it much better - a shocking level of incompetence really

This is one of INEOS biggest challenges really. They have to drag the club into the modern day after so many years of falling behind everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

His win % is obviously good but with so few draws, how does the loss % hold up?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I can understand one 'transformative' signing where a player is drastically going to alter the team to fit into the desired style of play of the new manager. And by transformative, I mean more stylistically than quality. Pep brought in Claudio Bravo to keep Joe Hart away from the team. Brendan Rodgers brought in Joe Allen into Liverpool. Chelsea has had lots of examples with this via Conte & his wingbacks, Sarri brought in Sarri & Kepa etc. So I can understand the Martinez signing, and to a degree Onana. Onana was a bit weird as his pass-centric style seemed to be ditched early into his Man Utd career.

The problems is sometimes this leads to a big head with the manager thinking that they have full control, even though they should not. Conte is famous for his big bust ups over transfers and it was a contributing factor to Rodgers being sacked by Liverpool with his Benteke/Firmino demand.

Managers like Klopp & Pep appreciate that there is dedicated recruitment people at a club and are willing to work under that set-up. Not all managers are willing to work under this structure, and giving them some power and trying to take it back again can prove costly as they are unwilling to relinquish power again.

As you said, getting in a DOF/Sporting Director to oversee the recruitment is the biggest decision that INEOS have to make and it's bigger than the decision over the manager IMO. Irrespective of whether ETH stays or goes, they need to tell ETH, or the new manager, that the new DOF has full control over the transfers. If ETH stays, he needs to be told that he cannot recommend more Dutch / Dutch league / ex-coached players. He clearly has a blind spot that is affecting recruitment. I don't think any of his signings have been a success, but Hojlund can be one. It's his first season, and he's very young, so he cannot be judged fairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arsenal had an early red card in that game. Backing Arteta has worked out for Arsenal, that doesn't mean every side should back every manager in case it works out for them too.

Do not like this. The CL has lost some of its magic now that you can't watch it without paying anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If you have to release a video explaining how a cup competition works then you have made it too complicated.

I agree 100%. We need a manager working with the team above him. No doubt about it.

ETH had this at Ajax and it worked very well for him so can't see him being against it now. If anything I can only imagine this would be his preferred outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I am not a Utd fan, was just interested in the loss % as they have lost a lot of games this year, very few draws.

Utd probably need to stick with someone for 4/5 years rather than keep changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

It’s horrific to watch. They suck the life out of almost every game they are involved with. Sterile and boring and repetitive.

Guardiola has made top level football almost unwatchable. Death by a thousand cuts, in every game.

No fan could enjoy watching that week in, week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Apparently the last two times a Manchester United manager lost 12 games in a season, they were fired. This loss was Man Utd's 11th this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

What bothers me about Pep ball outside of the joylessness of it all is it exploits referees not cautioning players just because they foul high up the pitch.

I’m either bored senseless or annoyed at seeing Rodri foul with impunity while he stops another opposition attack from starting.

If refs actually booked players consistently at least there’d be a risk to that style of play which would make it worth watching.

A league table works because everyone who is in it must play everyone else.

You wouldn't look at the PL and La Liga at the end of the season and crown a winner based on who got more points from each league. It doesn't make sense.

So using a league table to place teams who haven't played against the same teams doesn't make any sense.

For the results to have sporting integrity they must be compared within the same conditions.

It's just baffling how they came to this being the best option.

If they want more games then maybe making it one big European competition knockout all the way would be better but that puts their biggest names at risk so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

And to make things even worse, the moaning about it is going to be endless!

The European rugby authorities turned their exciting group stages into a borefest using a similar structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Same as the rugby, I don't understand why people thinking changing structures will make things better.

This new CL structure looks like a load of bo**ix!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Why are Arsenal and Brentford getting punished for Tierney's error is more my question🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Its awful sh**e, even though UTD took the lead and looked somewhat resilient. Has there ever been a more predictable outcome from a game?

The last exciting game I watched with City was their 2-1 win against Liverpool from a few years ago. That was one of the best games of football I've witnessed. Both those teams were brilliant and we're at their peaks in that game. It was intense, high-octane stuff.

City don't seem to play with that kind of energy at all anymore, I don't know if Pep decided that style wasn't for him or what changed. But I remember at that time, Augero was such a wonderful player, but he was seeing less and less starting time as Pep didn't seem to fancy him anymore. And City have gotten more and more reserved at the years have gone on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement