Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Milne has made some impact.

Leinster have also started playing far more direct this half and Cardiff can't handle it. Seems like they're tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

Leinster are a lot more direct this half and a lot more patience in attack.

The masses yearn for Prendergast.

Ross has played alright today. Took the ball to the line a few times a put a runner through a gap in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Turner should get mom

• Advertisement

Oof.That try is on Prendergast falling off a tackle in midfield.

Would want to look at the Turner tackle near the line as well. Seemed high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Lots and lots to work on in defence for the young ones

Decent second half performance and an encouraging win. Ross Byrne looked better than last week. Took the ball to the line a few times and we looked dangerous.

Osborne also played better than last week despite him winning MotM. He's such a good runner and has a massive boot. Noticed how we essentially used him as James Lowe tonight. Kicked from 22 to 22 to clear the lines.

Hopefully Boyle's injury isn't too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Milne was super tonight.

Real statement performance.

Looks to have trimmed down a bit and looked really physical.

I wouldn't want to lose Milne, Boyle or McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Leinster's pack were amazing in second half. Just unbelieveable at relentlessly picking and going.

Osbourne looks pure class. He isn't physical enough yet at breakdown or in defense to be a true current contender internationally yet for me. Our centres are like extra back rows and i'm not sure osbourne is there yet.

If you told me nothing about prendergast at all and there was no hype i'd say he looks like ben healy but more advanced at the same age. Same weaknesses and strengths more or less. Probably less athletic than healy was at same age but def more advanced short passing game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭typhoony

O'Flannagan the outside centre for Gonzaga is the best that I've seen this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

newest protocols allow for call back before the restart. but agree that everything else after that was a load of bollocks. There was no clean an obvious angle shown that was enough to over turn the on field decision.

suspect this TMO would have awarded the Scottish try against France.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ref calls try so must have seen a grounding. Didn't ask the TMO as I could see. How can he interject to say he didn't see anything either and disallow the try?

Nobody cares when it's not a match decide but it's a terrible look when the rules seem to change randomly from one game to the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's so many that it's hard to remember them all. There is a lock with Monkstown that was impressive but, on a weaker side. He could be a live wire with a bigger school. Pretty good sized player too. I like the hooker that kicks the field goals! He's a good kicker too!

Somehow, I think that some of the players are underage and will be eligible again. Some pretty small props and locks playing this year.

Any of the four match officials including the TMO can make a referral. If the TMO sees video angle that might disallow the try before the match resumes then they're correct to call a review. At that point the referee becomes the lead decision maker again.

Based on the extra video angle the TMO found it looks like Mike Adamson should have referred it himself.

I think the real issue here is commentators and pundits who don't actually understand or explain the TMO Protocols properly muddying the waters all the time. In some cases they're just using them as an excuse for a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Ross Molony to move to Bath confirmed by GT in the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Was relatively pleased with the performance at the weekend. Far from perfect but it was a decent run out in terms of a team that tried to attack our defensive system; the more exposure we get to that, the better. Cardiff looked to repeatedly get in behind us or beat the rush through the boot and we generally dealt with it fairly well with some superb covering across and corner flagging from the opposite winger or McGrath.

On second watch yesterday, there were some real stand out performances that flew under the radar somewhat on first watch. Clarkson was excellent. His defensive showing was really strong with some excellent linespeed for a tighthead. Jenkins was very similar and both of them had some influential moments (combining for the opening try, one notable example). Ross Molony was generally excellent around the park and ran a good lineout. Will Connors was very good in the loose, some really great offloads.

On the flip side, Harry Byrne was mediocre. Had a good moment with the intercept and 50/22 but his defence was poor. No influential misses but could see him being beaten on the inside repeatedly in the first half. He was starting to become more influential as the second half wore on before coming off but won't be thrilled with his night. His brother looked much better, missed touch aside. RB took the ball to the line repeatedly and put people through gaps as well as one very nice half break and offload to Molony in the first half. His halfback partner was a mixed bag. Some brilliant defensive plays and his passing was probably improved but still had some errors. Killed Osborne with a pass to his toes that led to a charged down clearance. Boyle spilled one he should have caught but the pass was dying a death as it reached him. McGrath also had some brilliant moments though including a tackle and poach when we were stretched in our own 22.

Milne looked like he really wanted to prove a point when he came on, some very effective tight carries in our own half to get us on the front foot. No idea what is going to happen at loosehead. At this point, I'd only offer Healy a deal if he is willing to play exclusively as a tighthead next season in the URC.

Thought the wings were both very good with Turner looking excellent in particular. It was the sort of performance that makes him look like a proper option in that role in the future.

Milne looked bigger than I remember. Almost like a chap who could play tighthead.

He looked huge. He played tighthead originally in schools and started a game there for Ireland at U20 level but, at 25, it's potentially a bit late to swap him back across.

Milnes scrummaging wasnt upto scratch at TH.

• Advertisement

Sad to see Molony go, but the emergence of McCarthy and pending arrival of Snyman has pushed him to fourth choice lock. He's right to be looking elsewhere for gametime and probably a bit of extra cash.

Great player on his day. His performance against Toulouse in the 2022 Champions Cup SF was incredible. Used as a link man in attack and was untouchable. His lack of top end physicality is the one real weakness of his game. Always meant his starting place would be in trouble if an athletic brute came around. Now we've two more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭PMC83

This is a shame, but the timing is right for him I guess, and Bath wouldn't be the worst place to hang your hat. Best of luck to him!

Post edited by PMC83 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Looking at the second row options for next season, and I am a huge Moloney fan and love those 1 club players

Ryan - 27/28

Big Joe - 23

Deeny - 24

Synman - 30/31

Jenkins(Leaving)

Spicer - 20

Baird - can play second row - 26

Moloney is going to be 30, he is prime for second row but with the lineup above will play the URC games, so I doubt he can command a big wage. A 3 year contract as reported with Bath will be a decent payday and he still has time to impress, move back to Ireland and play in a WC.

Leinster will need to give more game time to Deeny and Spicer next season and Synman is really just replacing jenkins. So I would say it's Deeny/Spicer taking the Moloney position

Spicer isn't in the academy yet and, based on his U20 showings, will potentially be given another year in the sub-academy to develop physically before being taken in. He started for UCD at the weekend so I'd say it's unlikely he's going to be regaining his spot in the Irish team for Friday night.

Conor O'Tighearnaigh will probably be involved in some capacity having already made a couple of appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Spicer is 18, he won't turn 20 until the tail end of the 24/25 season. COT is surely a lot more likely to see senior gametime next season.

Yeah Spicer isnt even in the academy yet.. COT was a 2 year starter for the 20s and will be ready for pro minutes next season

Conor O' Tighearnaigh maybe but Spicer is in no way, shape or form ready for pro rugby.

Edit: should probably read the full thread before replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Spicer has looked good during the U20's 6 nations. He still has alot of learning to do and needs to throw around his weight more but he is a big ball carrier and if he can raise his level, he is going to be a good player for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yes and he will need to get some URC game time next season, if the plan is to keep Deeny as well then getting game time for everyone will be hard so moving on Moloney would make sense, also if the player is getting a nice payday

Still young enough as well to progress and come back to Ireland to play for Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Still young enough as well to progress and come back to Ireland to play for Ireland

A 3 year contract as reported with Bath will be a decent payday and he still has time to impress, move back to Ireland and play in a WC.

You'd wish Ross Molony all the best, but with the best will in the world, I'd say any chance of a senior cap is now behind him.

Advertisement