Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41 new ICR centre cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Yeah, in the timetable as 7 piece ICR, as is the 6.35 from Newry.

29s operate on the Sligo line most days, and as far as Sligo semi regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Current plans put 13 half length battery DART units in Drogheda from 2025 (so read 2026) that would eliminate any 4 car 29k operations at peak and release that 7 piece ICR to better work, the 29k's released go to Maynooth and Docklands to strengthen services and release some ICR's as well, there is another batch of half length battery DART units due 2026 so Drogheda Dublin could go entirely electric by 2027, leaving the Dundalk Dublin as 29k

As above the issue becomes platform lengths very quickly if you want to increase capacity on a network which is mostly single track

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they should do whatever required at dundalk and allow the battery units to operate those services as well.

unless they just serve it with the hourly belfast but i suspect that would be a service cut to there.

better then keeping a few diesels around just to serve it specifically though.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the long term plan is to fully electrify the Dublin to Belfast line (and Cork, etc. too). Once that is done, they would likely replace the Diesels commuter trains with a mix of the new electric Enterprise replacement trains and a new long distance electric commuter train.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was thinking about this and now I'm wondering, have the new DART's been spec'd to run on 25kV AC in addition to the 1.5kV DC ?

I know the new Enterprise replacement will be bimode 1.5/25, but I'm wondering about the new DARTs. If the DARTs aren't then they will have to do one of the following:

• Electrify Drogheda to Dundalk as 1.5DC rather then 25AC
    • Upgrade the DART's to 1.5/25 bimode operation when they remove the batteries if this section is 25AC
    • Buy new trains which are bimode, perhaps more suited to longer distance travel (but not quiet intercity).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

When the first batch of new darts arrive can 29ks be transferred to the Phoenix Park tunnel service's, I know there top speed limits them on that line but I'm sure they would be fine as far as Newbridge and at the very least Hazelhatch.

Drivers might start complaining about having to learn to drive new trains if that was to happen. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DoctorPan

They aren't fast enough to match the running times required for the sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You would have to have a massive training programme, as none of the Heuston drivers would be type trained on the 29000s.

• Advertisement

kildare itself would be a problem granted but within the 4 track section the faster boarding allowed should get them over the line surely.

i'm not a regular user of the kildare services at all but when i have the ICR that operated it didn't go very fast anyway but maybe i was unlucky for whatever reason.

Two days training, and another out with a competent driver. Some of the lads would only need a refresher. Be grand.

i don't know if it could be done that quick but certainly it can be done that is for sure.

they would do it if it suited them you can be guaranteed of that, just like a lot of their operational methods and requirements, subject to change if it suits/they want it to/whatever.

I doubt anyone in Heuston has a driven a 29k within the timeframe that would allow them just a refresher at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It’s not a massive changeover actually and can be done easily enough. It’s not a refresher, but they are not like driving a loco versus ICR. They’ve been there before and units have moved around over the years.

Also, not every driver would need to sign for them.

However, the 29s should only be used to Hazelhatch only. They can’t keep up after that as they go plus 70mph which is what they are limited to.

Certainly scope to use them Heuston side.

I was joking about the refresher, as some Heuston drivers would have driven them back in the day.

Maybe we should have a discussion of bringing back the 2700 too. 😂

christ no, the sooner those heaps of **** are burned the better.

why are they holding on to them, they aren't coming back so they should just cut them up at this stage.

Yeah, just taking up space. Maybe they’ll shift them to make way for the new Darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

I've been wondering this myself. ( also why the 2nd spare Enterprise Set isnt out and about either )

There isn’t a second spare Enterprise set.

There is a single maintenance spare set consisting of one DVT, one first class, one buffet, four standards and one EGV, which allows one set to be completing an exam at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Based on what I read about Ryanair and their orders of new Boeing 737 aircraft, they seem to be in revenue service weeks after arriving from the USA.

Yet these ICR coaches have taken nearly 18 months.

I still can't understand that.

One of the largest airlines in the world, who has the advantage of using just one model (sort of) of aircraft. Lends itself to an industrial line like process for bringing new aircraft in.

Having said that, there have been massive delays with Boeing actually building and delivering aircraft and of course massive issues with getting them approved for safe use. From this perspective there are years late getting to Ryanair.

Also look at how relatively fast new trams are ordered, built and brought into service on the Luas. That is the advantage of using standard systems and being able to buy off the shelf, versus our heavy rail network which has so many unique elements that complicate things.

They were bought to have 7 on the road and one in the shop , not have 25% of the fleet not being used.

There are only 4 Enterprise sets, not 8 so I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Three full sets are in daily use, and one is the maintenance spare.

With only four sets in existence that means the utilisation % is inevitably going to be lower. It’s a meaningless statistic in the context of a microfleet of four trains.

Sorry - my mistake. I was referring to the Dublin-Cork MK4s. 3 out and 1 in maintenance is fine.

There are six in daily use on Dublin-Cork. I think seven out of eight would be ambitious especially with no overnight heavy exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Speaking of the Mk4s, I see on Irish Rail social media that they're refurbishing the 1st class cabins. They look nice, leather seats is a good choice but such a light colour must surely make stains more easily visible. Can't believe they kept the blue tinted windows - who wants to sit on a carriage designed to deter heroin users from finding the veins 😂

• At least it shows they might be planning a midlife refurb for the MK4.

Realistically, if they are around for a good few years yet, they could just purchase a fleet of electric locos and they'd have a Cork-Dublin electric fleet, but by the time they get the wires up they'll be quite old coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

*checks Mark 4 build dates*

*looks at the recent announcement that VIA Rail will absolutely, positively, not kidding this time, retire the 1940s/1950s long distance rolling stock by 2035*

I guess it depends on what you mean by old. But modern trainset construction, materials and electric/electronic fit is not tuned to half century or longer lifespans.

• Advertisement

But thats how and what they were bought for. I am aware there are only 6 in use. 7 sets were happily in use for years, and IE reinstating that level of service would allow the timetable go back to full MK4 and fill the empty gaps in the timetable. Would also free up the 22s for proper use elsewhere ,try getting to Waterford after 1835 or Galway after 1930

Advertisement