Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Problems with this:

1. Marie Farrell
    2. For two and a half decades, AGS have been pursuing Bailey as their man to the point that some members of the force looked at corrupt approaches to get a conviction. It was the AGS dossier (which wasn't really worth the paper it was written on) which secured a conviction of Bailey for Sophie's murder in the French trial. Do we really expect AGS to turn around and say to the French that they were wrong and to get some man to provide his DNA?
    3. Marie Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Put a DNA sample into a large enough database and even if there’s not a familial match you’ll get an indication of geographic background Shirley, no less the possibility of a distant cousin match? Or is it unlawful for forces to access such databases such as Ancestry etc?

Saying that, just because there’s DNA present doesn’t mean that person had anything to do with the killing but japers it’s not a loose end I’d like to leave untied .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was thinking more to do with the quality of the sample also, if it was usable in that manner, that's a question from me, not a statement.

I did a quick google and seems like even using DNA for ancestry is illegal in France!

I'm going to guess matching to the level of cousin etc is a no no in the EU, but am guessing here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeah I think there is some sort of legislation in place just not sure what though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Here's what I think about Marie Farrell.

She wanted inject herself into the story for whatever reason, some people are like that.

If you listen to the West Cork podcast she talks about 1997 as being great, reminiscing about a fun time, the time she was playing this game with the Gardai.

Anyway she wants to inject herself into the story.

So she rings Gardai, as herself, saying she saw a man watching Sophie in the town and then say the same man on Sunday morning as she drove to Cork.

The first part I don't believe, she may have seen Sophie but not the man.

The second part is true, she saw Bailey on his way back from Murphy's on Sunday morning.

She puts these two things together and decides that's her story for the Gardai.

But what she didn't anticipate is that the Gardai would take it seriously, so she then rings up as Fiona and says it she saw Bailey at Kilfadda Bridge and she was with someone.

Remember by now Bailey's name is circulating.

She eventually gets found out and that's when the fun starts with the Gardai, she enjoys the game of trying to catch Bailey out and bringing the Gardai on a wild goose chase about who was with her in the car.

And she keeps this up until 2014 I think.

The Gardai never corerced her into identifying Bailey, she did that herself, and she told lies about him for years, ones about him stalking her years later that Frank Buttimer easily demolished.

That's eventually when she gave up, said she never saw Bailey and then blamed it all on the Gardai.

• Advertisement

No worse than a lead called Ian Bailey 🤪🤪🤪🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

There's a big difference

A Frenchman who looks like Marie Farrell photofit and knew Daniel is not a new lead

I suspect that the film maker will have a little something extra about a supposed motive for the murder .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Marie Farrell? Seriously? She's still being given credence now?

Seriously though.

Do you put your fingers in your ears and go "na na na na" when people bring up Bailey and the

Broken alibi

Telling people he killed her

The scratches

The bonfire

The walking the roads at night

The whiskey drinking and how he acts after it

The violence towards women.

The circumstantial evidence against Bailey is far greater than any lead from a movie maker based on evidence from Marie Farrell.

And I expect your next retort to be something like "well the DPP didn't think so".

We all know there was not enough for the DPP, but that doesn't mean he can't be the main suspect.

If there was not enough for the DPP to put forward Bailey then right now there certainly isn't enough to put forward anyone else

Well let's see if Sheridan has more behind the story than just Marie Farrell... but we'll probably have to wait for the new series of the documentary for that. If it is just MF that won't be convincing / will be dubious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I will never understand why a prosecution wasn't brought against her. Its one of the great mysteries of the case. There was one rogue garda allegedly involved with her, but the DPP showed independence from the gardai at the time.

She went around (mostly voluntarily) making stuff up, with impunity and completely derailing the investigation, while also making a prosecution against Bailey or anyone else impossible. And was allowed off with not so much as a warning.

And also I don't believe Bailey ever sued her for defamation, although he threatened to.

Discounting Marie Farrell

We have a Frenchman who knew Daniel !

Definitely needs more than than that to constitute " a new lead for sure "

That’s all you have? After 27 years investigation? A few whiskeys some scratches and a bonfire? Yes he beat his partner but that doesn’t indicate he murdered someone.

And you’re asking me why I’m not vehemently advocating on a discussion forum for Bailey to be prime suspect, especially at the expense of so many other lines of enquiry that could have taken place in the early days of this investigation had the Gardai not been so incompetent ? 🤪

"The Gardai have his DNA and they have a blood sample found on Sophie's shoe. All they have to do is check Ian Bailey's DNA against it and it will exclude him.

"I would like the Gardai to use this sample to either rule in or eliminate certain possible suspects.

"I am going to start a Petition and ask the public to sign it calling on the Gardai to also do an ethnic breakdown on the blood sample and this will also help find the killer.

😁

Ya have to laugh if this is a genuine quote

He'll make a few pound from the gullible I guess

While it won’t necessarily exclude Bailey I think at this stage if there is actually an unidentified DNA sample, the Gardai should put as much of this information into the public domain as possible - if there’s DNA there then there’s every possibility it’s the killers DNA- it’s not definitive but it’s a hell of a more of a lead than whiskey drinking

Sheridan is being ridiculous with his statements . Can't you see that below ?

"The Gardai have his DNA and they have a blood sample found on Sophie's shoe. All they have to do is check Ian Bailey's DNA against it and it will exclude him."

The whole investigation has been “ridiculous” - Sheridan can do and say as he pleases as far as I’m concerned - it doesn’t look any more comical than what we’ve had to put up with to date

at the expense of so many other lines of enquiry that could have taken place in the early days of this investigation had the Gardai not been so incompetent ?

But this is where you are making up your own facts.

What lines of enquiry could have taken place but didn't like you claim?

We don't know to what level the Gardai looked at other lines of equiry.

It's not a given that they didn't pursue other lines of enquiry just because Bailey became the main suspect.

The absence of other suspects is more than likely down to other early suspects being ruled out for good reasons.

That's what happens in criminal investigations.

All we know is that one suspect emerged and there is a list of circumstantial evidence against him.

And the reason why we don't know is because those pages in the Jobs Book were deliberately destroyed. That is not what happens in properly run above board criminal investigations.

So "good reasons" - highly dubious.

Nah he's more comical

A public petition to get the gardai to establish ethnicity of blood sample ffs

• Advertisement

There's lot of bits of evidence disputed or otherwise pointing to Bailey

I'm seeing practically nothing evidentially pointing at another suspect.

Posters are stating as "fact" that there's more evidence pointing at ANother but are continually omitting to backup their assertions

The missing pages are unfortunate but I don't think their absence means that every other possible line of enquiry was ignored.

If there was another viable suspect we would have heard about them long ago.

Why not? The Gardai have wasted millions of public money on this investigation and have ended up looking completely incompetent - I don’t include the current investigations team in that comment and reserve judgement for the time being but I think if there’s a sample DNA there, and especially if ultimately it’s considered to belong to a non-Irish person and indeed, potentially pointing to a French person or someone with that background then questions do need to be asked around just what have Gardai done about that and to what degree are authorities in other jurisdictions helping or hindering the investigation

Notice how quiet it has gotten here about Alfie and Shirley since the alleged poster called Bridget brought into question the "fact" that Shirley was allowed to drive through the cordon unaccosted to the dump with a boot full of potential evidence.

That's a bit of a leap there. Why does their absence means that every other possible line of enquiry was ignored?

We don't know what other viable suspect(s) were out there if some number (X) of other lines of enquiry were not followed up on properly.

We don't know how Bailey came to be seen by the Guards as their viable suspect, as Guard(s) tampered with that part of the log.

Did the Guards give serious consideration to the possibility of a morning murder (as the article by Bridget Chappuis questions)?

There doesn't appear to be much information pointing to that from what information has come into the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭bjsc

I'm not an "alleged" poster because I do actually post!!!!!

Oh and incidentally the facts come from statements by both Shirley and the officer who took the sacks from the car so not sure about the inverted commas.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There's lot of bits of evidence disputed or otherwise pointing to Bailey

There is nothing other than innuendo and presumption pointing towards Bailey, all of which have been dismissed from a legal perspective.

I'm seeing practically nothing evidentially pointing at another suspect.

Were other suspects looked at in as much detail and with as much conviction than Bailey?

Posters are stating as "fact" that there's more evidence pointing at ANother but are continually omitting to backup their assertions

Who has said there is moe evicence pointing at another? What I think was said was probably that there is nothing on Baliey (despite what you'd like to believe) and there is nothing on anyone else.

That gardai couldn't even protect their own evidence for the case shows how flawed the investigation has been. We don't have an idea who killed STdP but what we do know is that certain members of AGS deliberately tried to alter the record so that it pointed towards Bailey. Why was this? Given the absolute lack of evidence presented to the DPP (repeatedly!) to send Bailey for trial, why were AGS so determined to present him as the murderer. Now, he may have been responsible but nothing AGS presented to the DPP supports that belief!

As for another potential suspect would have come to light, again let me remind you of Joanne Hayes. Stop making naive assumptions here!

Notice how quiet it has gotten here about Alfie and Shirley since the alleged poster called Bridget brought into question the "fact" that Shirley was allowed to drive through the cordon unaccosted to the dump with a boot full of potential evidence.

1. Why do you persist in trolling bjsc?
    2. The previous suggestions were that the gardai may not have looked at the bags forensically and that surely the car shouldn't have been let head off without being checked. Do you have evidence that the bags were checked forensically or were given just a quick glance if even?

• Advertisement

Posters have stated there's more pointing at others than bailey

I'm not going back looking for it

Advertisement