Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Nice to see the percentage discounts starting to increase. I got a letter from Flogas telling me my contract expires on 19th of April, be interesting to see what's on offer then. Energypal recommended BG free Saturday or Sunday plan for me, the standing charge on that plan is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

Hi Ginger, the 24% offer is based on smart meter and standard meter plans : https://www.electricireland.ie/switch/new-customer/price-plans?priceType=E

I've just noticed it's on their 'new customer' page, so contrary to my earlier thoughts suspect we wouldn't be eligible. Looks like it's aimed at customers currently with other suppliers. I prob won't bother trying, but at only a 2% difference wouldn't be too concerned anyway.

I will keep comparing on bonkers.ie during the year though, it seems there's no penalty when you stay with the same supplier other than restarting the 12 month contract if you opt for a better plan. It also seems like a decent way to avoid haggling with a customer sales rep, as I didn't get any push back from EI when I opted for a new deal directly via bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

I'm in the same position with EI and have been in contact with them last week (dual fuel). The 24% is only for new customers. I can't find access to the 22% deal. The best they will offer me is 18%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Ginger83

No worries thanks. If you spot anything during the year I'd appreciate the heads up and I'll do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I have electric Ireland, my old rate was

Standard Day Rate: 41.59

14% discount: 35.77

Standard Night rate: 20.51

14% discount: 17.64

Anyone know how to work out the new electric Ireland rates of 8% off? is that off the standard rate? so 41.59 reduces to 38.26?

Are you in or out of contract? Do you have a standard or smart plan?

I have a smart meter and its a standard plan as I only got smart meter in...in contract but only a 50 uro break fee which I am willing to pay if much beter available as I use a lot of electricity

Electric Ireland are offering 22% discount to existing customers on bonkers. It's a standard non smart plan.

Yes I want to ring them and see what they will offer, but I am trying to work out what I will end up with the current drop in price, is the 8% off the standard rate I think?

So it goes from 41.59 reduces to 38.26?

Then my 14% discount from that down to 32.90?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

I will soon move into a new house as a single person that has smart meter (as it's newly built) and has heat pump. I use dishwasher and night storage heater in my current place during night tariff but I don't think those things will matter anymore (as I won't be using night storage heater). I am wondering is it better to use 24 hour plan or a smart plan? My active hours would be the usual, 7 pm till 2 am or smth. And the peak hour rate in smart tariffs is kind of scaring me.

I don't have a reference point either as right now I am living in a small apartment, so my current usage won't reflect the future one. As far as I remember, smart tariffs were ripoff and 24 hour rate was the best but is it still the case?

If in housing estate they will have a community watsapp so ask in that

24 hour rate still looking good.Check on bonkers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Coming to the end of my contract with SSE so doing the annual comparison based on the last years usage of 3,707 kWh Electricity and 5,502 kWh Gas.

Dual Fuel (all ex VAT, unit & standing charge only totals)

Electric Ireland €1,759.72

Energia €1,725.97

Bord Gáis €1,719.62

Flo Gas (Fixed) €1,747.17

SSE (New) €1,830.16

SSE (Renew) €2,013.60

Electric Only

Electric Ireland €1,156.07

Energia €1,110.84

Bord Gáis €1,147.64

Flo Gas (Fixed) €1,155.10

SSE (New) €1,1228.27

Yuno (Fixed) €1,131.44

Gas Only

Electric Ireland €664.23

Energia €641.60

Bord Gáis €571.98

Flo Gas (Fixed) €592.07

SSE (New) €601.89

Total Separate €1,682.82

So I will switch to Bord Gáis or Energia for their dual fuel plan as only the guts of €40 cheaper to take them separate.

For some reason Bonkers isn't showing the % discount as per the Bord Gáis website and is recommending Energia so may be mindful to check against the providers website if using them to compare.

Always good advice to check on suppliers website against bonkers etc

You might be better asking them but my new rates are 0.2984 and 0.1472 including vat

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Worked for me in the past., eg John Smith, change to John Michael Smith. It was the EI rep that came up with the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭4dxc

The idea and the way the made the site is brilliant (energypal.ie)

However, the prices are not much updated, i.e. latest Energia prices are not updated so it`s not really good for comparisons unless the tariffs are updated more frequently.

Post edited by 4dxc on

I think they are, last time I looked it said that prices included the latest reductions announced for the 29th and 1st. The site doesn't do 24hr plans which have seen increases in the percentage discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭4dxc

I was only looking at Energia Smart Plan as I signed up with them last week.

The smart rates on the tool are 33.85, 35.48, 18.13 (D/P/N) and per Energia website it`s (30.47, 31.94, 16.31) incl. VAT. Unless, I am using it wrong somehow it`s not updated (guess it`s still Feb prices).

• Advertisement

That isn't a bad looking plan in fairness, maybe they haven't applied either the rate drop or the percentage discounts. Energia did increase the discount for their 24hr plan I didn't think they had changed the smart plans, nice to see the difference between peak and day rates has narrowed a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Duit

Our Gas & Electricity contract is expiring in the next couple of weeks. We are with B&G. I got a call last Thursday from their retentions team but I told them I needed to think about it. I logged in today on the B&G web and I see they are providing a better offer with a 20% discount on gas ( 8.94 cent per kWh) and 24% for electricity (27.85 cent per kWh). Both prices inc. VAT. I was checking on bonkers and I see that SSE and flogas offers a slightly cheaper price. Shall I wait to see if a better offer arrives or shall I switch once the contract is due? Any views?

Check the standing charge as well, BG seem to have low charges compared to the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭feelings

Cancelled mid contract the moved to another supplier. Current/old supplier called and said they would beat the rates of the new supplier. Excellent!

After 10 mins of rhyming off rates, he couldn't understand that his rates were still more expensive. (as too was the standing charge). 🙃

The highlighted rates are being offered by Bord Gais for new/existing customers.Their standing charges are lower too

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

Check the meter for each period & work out your own figures. I've been consistently 18% night, 17% peak & 65% day rate.

Bonkers calculations use 9% peak, 39% night & rest day rate which makes smart plans appear good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭The Gardener

Kept an eye on my time of day usage after going smart a few years ago (thanks EI!) and my peak time usage is averaging 18%.

I see the energia non smart 24hr plan is the top recommendation for me on energypal, it beats the BG standard smart with free Saturday by €76 over the year. I'm 66% day, 10% peak and 24% night. Even though I'm on a 24hr plan I've started charging the car at 11pm to give a true figure as it's the easiest load to move to night rate if an affordable plan ever arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It's a better site if you're already on a smart plan, the number who'd be better off smart with their current usage patterns would be miniscule. the rest already on D/N or smart.

Need to factor in the change of usage like you're going to do now. Think it used to min 40% night for D/N to make it worth while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

What happens to your credit from the government payment if you move supplier while still in credit?

I have €150 still in account with electric Ireland but am moving to SSE.

Advertisement