Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25% of Children starting school in the UK not toilet trained

Options
  • 04-03-2024 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Interesting survey from Kindred Squared a charitable organisation that works to improve early education and child development

The overall results of the survey are startling and really depressing , so many parents appear to have so little interest in their own children and this obviously has negative consequences down the line for society as a whole..The percentage of children who cannot do even basic things they should be able to do and the fact so many parents feel it's up to the schools and the state to teach them such basica things is quite worrying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Probably starting them too young. Can't wait to get into free childcare system.

Seven is age of entry to junior school in several continental countries I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Should be pretty much done with toilet training by 3, so waiting until 7 would give you 4 more years.

Kids can have accidents at any age, but to not be trained when starting school is a terrible indictment on the parents imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

4 or 5 years old isn't too young to be toilet trained. I can't imagine sending a child off to school still in nappies . Who would think that's ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lazy parenting. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I know one set of parents who took forever - like aged 4 before they eventually got there - I thought that was bad enough - again no issue other than parent apathy to the task

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

Well 7 is definitely too old! Around 2 and a half to 3 is the usual age for toilet training.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Probably don't send them in nappies...

Poor teachers as well as kids.

In Ireland they would not be accepted unless soecial needs with SNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Here now.. I did not say that children should not be toilet trained until 7 yrs age!!

I said that in several continental countries, children start school proper at 7. They might be in kindergarten before that or at home. Of course, you would expect that most would be fully used to using the toilet when they are ready and by 3ish at most.

The point in relation this report and any implications here, is that many Irish parents can't wait to get them started in primary/ national school and in some cases, likely before they're ready in several ways inc toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

First years of primary school in Ireland are equivalent to "kindergarten"

• Advertisement

Our creché requires kids to be trained before they move to the final room before they start after school, and they are setup to handle and expect lots of accidents.

A school is not setup for this level of effort. Certainly you wouldnt be sending kids into school with multiple changes of clothes (as you would in creché)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yep thats muy recollection too.

Although when I started school we were only turning 4 mostly and junior infants classroom had a good few pants and woolly tights drying on the old rad beside the teacher :)

The odd accident is likely when children just getting used to having to wait or put up the hand to ask

" an bhfuil cead agam"...

Accidents are fine, all kids have them, but untrained kids wont be having accidents, they will be soiling themselves throughout the day.

My memory of the first couple of months of the "big" room in creche was collecting kids with 3-5 nappy bags of soiled clothes hanging from each hook. A teacher cant handle this. Ignoring the fact that a teacher would be on their own and would have far more kids than a creche would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Two or three countries in Europe start the kids at age seven so it's pretty rare, they average is age six and in France it's age 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 51,776 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm surprised some of the parents are toilet trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Don't think there is one for Irish people (that I could see), although seeing as everything that happens in the UK eventually catches on here I imagine we won't be far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

I don't think this is anything to do with the UK v Ireland. UK kids start school at 4 unlike here where its more like 5. My UK nephew's birthday is the 24th of August, the eldest of 3 kids and didn't walk until he was 2. Nothing wrong with him etc just not the fastest developer. He was really not ready for school.

My UK niece, who was born at the end of May and is 7 weeks younger than my DD, started school a year before my DD. My April child was 5 starting and not the eldest in her class here.

In the UK children have to start school in the September after their 4th birthday ( I believe there is now an exception for kids born over the UK school summer holidays - mid/late July until end August).

Also the UK school day for 4 year olds is 8.45 - 3 versus 1.30 finish here and a bedding in period of finishing at 12 for the first fortnight in September.

The (extended) ECCE scheme here has resulted in kids being older starting school and being more 'ready' including better toilet training.

But you said it's very worrying.

Worrying for British people I presume you mean.

• Advertisement

• well I would actually suggest that is a load of nonsense. I had a scan but can’t see if they differentiate in the stats what kind of classes the 25% attend?

Point being kids in say ASD Units in mainstream schools and plenty of others may well attend sans toilet training because development is shunted for one reason or another rather than faulty parenting.

Honestly you can’t have children (and definitely not recently) if you have a mindset that a parent couldn’t be bothered to teach a child to use a toilet.

Okay there are absolutely to be a few exceptions but I just can’t imagine most parents would want to change nappies when their child is 5+.

To be frank I’ve changed my fair share of babies nappies, probably at this stage hundreds, now maybe it’s just me but a baby poop to be blunt about it is just not anything nearly as violently disgusting to me as a 2-3 year olds.

It’s disgusting either way and hardly an experience I’m dying to be a part of but it’s far more intolerable at least personally as the child ages and once they’re a toddler it’s insufferable. Me and the Mrs just couldn’t wait for both of ours to learn to use the toilet.

Besides that it’s inconvenient and bloody expensive to buy nappies regularly. Also as the nappy size goes up the pack size goes down and so you’re buying more often as a result if you make no effort to toilet train.

in any case a suggestion it’s “on its way” to us is about as sensible as ignoring the fact these kids probably have very fair reasons if not outright good reasons to not be toilet trained attending primary school.

Sometimes it’s the best way to help a child get on developmentally actually to have them interact with kids their age and at a more appropriate developmental stage.

Biggest concern for Irish children is obesity and the growth of take away junk food that parents buy their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is a few big lads around my area that could use training as miss the bowl completely 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭csirl

Kids here usually start school the September after their 4th birthday, except for those born in the summer months - no different to the UK. Yes, some wait a year later, but 4 is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭appledrop

The introduction of the ECCE scheme and most children here starting school at 5 means that thankfully this is not an issue here in Ireland.

As people mentioned kids start in England even if only gone 4 and dont have a standard ECCE scheme like us.

Ideally they want them trained before they start ECCE.

I wouldn't agree with rushing them though. If kids are trained too young before they are ready have much more accidents and it can put them off.

Between 2 1/2 and 3 usually the ideal age.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Very easy to see how this is happening. You have time poor and convenience seeking parents opting for the easy way out. Cheap disposable nappies enable this. A single disposable nappy costs less than 4c.

A great motivator for getting parents to start toilet training as soon as possible is reusable nappies. Creches hate them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Part of the survey says that only 50% of parents believe it is their sole responsibility to toilet train their children.Surely every responsible parent would say it is 100% their responsibility to toilet train their own children.

That backs up the other aspect of the survey that says 25% are not toilet trained as both figures indicate a lack of responsibility on behalf of the parents surveyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

I disagree, the only kids starting school September after turning 4 in our school are September- December in the main. Our school has a 1st May cutoff and there are literally no feb-April kids who are only 4 starting. You may get the odd Jan child.

this is the norm since the ECCE scheme was extended

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That could be a misleading quote. It can't be 100% the parents responsibility if the children are in crèche and the crèche refuses to facilitate training. Toilet training in the home has to be backed up with training in crèche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I actually would be interested to know how this compares with 10,15 or 20 years ago.

50 % of parents didn’t think it was solely their responsibility to toilet train. That is a shocking stat. There is a massive trend towards parents expecting to abdicate their responsibilities to the state.

Kids should be toilet trained by 4 the only exceptions are SEN kids or kids with medical issues and plenty of SEN kids are toilet trained by 4.

Thankfully the ECCE scheme should prevent this happening here.

Advertisement