Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

It's more like arguing that you (the electorate) shouldn't step out into the road (pass a constitutional amendment) without looking up and down it for oncoming traffic first (understanding the potential consequences).

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Bookmark your thoughts, pending results from next Friday. The enemy of the family, marriage, woman and motherhood in plain sight here.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

I can't read the paywalled IT article but I read the Mary McAleese one which contains her belief and hope that a Yes vote will open up more discussion about care but she provided no actual clarification on what changes voting Yes will make . Interestingly she refers to the outside agencies such as the UN:

"A large majority of national and other commentators, including United Nations Treaty Monitoring bodies over recent years have regarded it as anachronistic and no longer suited to an Ireland anxious to promote gender equality"

I wonder in the 40 years of it's existence did Ireland ever have a representative on the CEDAW? If so it would be very interesting to know who that was. And I wonder who will be selected by Ireland to be on the committee if the referendum passes? It's a great incentive to call for a Yes vote for anyone interested in a juicy UN committee position or indeed for a position with any of the "other commentators" who have for years been saying the Article is no longer suited to Ireland? There are plenty of *female TD's who might be interested.

*I say female because despite all the calls for gender equality, inclusiveness etc there is only one man and 23 women on the current committee!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You are partly correct IMO as taken as a whole the idea of the two referendums is to -

1) Negate the status of marriage

2) Put other vague relationships on a similar or nearer footing to marriage

-

However, on the other hand it does negate the positive status of non-working women or the mothers contribution in society for the common good within the family.

As most single parents are women it leaves the mothers from a lower socio-economic background (who are less likely to be in employment) with less protection in that sense.

My view on it is these are referendums with strong class based undertones. It is being driven by the higher professional woman. That is who wins on both counts.

No need for married relationships can be explicitly more vague. Also such women do not have to face uncomfortable questions about their level of care in the family home, when their child is predominately raised in private child care.

Whereas Those of a lower socio economic background are often faced with a choice of working with high childcare costs. Or being a stay at home mother.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I remember one particular line from Justice Marie Baker (in the recent Irish Times Article I posted.

It seemed to sum her attitude and whole viewpoint. Baker was asked is it just symbolic?

Her answer was telling “I would not say symbolic it is about values’

-

I recommend anyone to read the article no matter which way they are voting. Because it really said a lot beyond what was just written on the page. You can read between the lines as well,

-

The other part that struck me was Baker was very blasé about those who raised concern about disability/children’s rights.

She said it was a referendum on “the family” and “care” within the family not about the care received! The concerns of people could be addressed later in other referendums etc,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

It's probably more like arguing one shouldn't cross the road in front of traffic, just in case the drivers decides to accelerate and run you over as you are crossing.

The major basis of the No side seems to be "this might let more refugees into the country." The rest of the arguments seem to be based on tax issues or inheritance issues, which every individual should very easily be able to determine what any outcome of a successful. On a wider scale the rest of the argument for a no comes down "I dont want other people getting the same tax breaks that I do." Not everyone is motivated to vote to ensure other people "loss out".

Why? Which scenario do you think is more likely once the right of mothers to stay at home to look after their families is removed and the subsequent removal of the right for a qualified adult payment to be paid to families is removed unless they are available for work.

Single parent families will be allowed to continue to be paid to stay at home to look after their families until the youngest is 7 and a similar payment will be introduced so that married or cohabiting spouses will now also be able do so? or

Neither single or married or cohabiting parents will have access to state payments unless they are available for work?

It would stop the government from only focusing on forcing single mothers back into employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That doesn't make sense - single parent households are one of the most at risk groups of poverty in this country and are one that are likely to benefit from constitutional recognition as durable relationships.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Hmmmm. In the 90s we had the "hello divorce, goodbye daddy" scaremongering now the scaremongering is "they'll abolish child benefit"

Terry Pratchet

So you are supporting it so that it will force all mothers back into employment? That very much contradicts the post you just put up which says: "Not everyone is motivated to vote to ensure other people "loss out".

You are the one who is saying single mothers and their children aren't a family and don't deserve any constitutional rights.

Exactly! Wealthier women who are not dependent on state support will still have the choice to go out to work or stay at home looking after their family.

The only person who said anything about child benefit is you!

No, because I don't think it will or can force women back into employment. The proposed amendment widens the groups that the government would need to endeavour to support, it doesn't exclude women from that.

Since you think the government are doing this force women into employment, do you also think they will force people with a disability into employment and remove disability benefit if there is a No vote?

What part does not make sense?

You reference the ‘Durable Relationships” but single parents by the very nature of the term ‘single’ are not in “Durable relationships” / unless they have a partner living with them in which case it is not a single parent role family.

What would change for single parents living on their own is the status of marriage as the foundation of the family would be removed. Symbolic nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This now reflected in Boylesports odds

https://www.boylesports.com/sports/politics

Family referendum 8/11 to pass

Care referendum 8/11 to be rejected

The proposed amendment takes away the obligation of the state to support women (and men) who choose to not join the labour force but to stay at home to look after their family. The Article will be deleted - it will no longer exist - the right to stay at home will be gone - for all but the wealthier section of society.

There isn't one non state funded carers organisation in the country that thinks this will be anything but detrimental for disability rights.

What they particularly object to is the fact that the government will be putting all the onus on care onto the family instead of pledging to improve accessibility, transport and other issues that prevent disabled people taking up employment and living outside the family as part of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Whatever about the outcome voter fraud is way too easy here.

Without trying I have 3 votes on Friday, with a small effort I would have 4.

None of the registers have a record of my ppsn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I wouldn’t be surprised if one or both of these referendums fail on Friday. They’ve been low key, and seem rushed, and having two on the same day is confusing not just for people but people in the media. Anton savage tripped over which was which at the weekend, which wasn’t a great sign, and one texter said if they were that important, they shouldn’t have done on the same day.

I still think they will pass though but it won’t be a landslide. Also the parties on the dail bar Aontu are supporting them both but they won’t be straining their voices in their support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Thing is, it would be incredibly difficult to achieve it at a level that would impact any election or referendum.

Good point plus it is the same people at the (a lot of the time at same tables) year in year out the voting centres. If you move and still happen to have a voting card from that area, it could just require a quick flash of the ID. Not really looked at.

But there is no obligation on the state to support women(and certainly not men, given they aren't even mention in the Constitution under this section). The current Constitution states the government must "endeavour" to support women in the home. That's not a right.

I don't see how it can be detrimental to disability rights. It certainly won't improve them, but in the current Constitution there is nothing that says the government must improve accessibility, transport or any other issue impacting them. But I do understand why they aren't supportive of a yes vote.

Has there being any big polls taken yet?

Or have the politicians gone off them as they might not be accurate/could influence undecided voters?

--

Edit - found an answer - but was a few weeks old

"The limited polling so far suggests that both will pass. The most recent, in last Sunday’s Business Post, suggests that 52% would support the Family amendment, 22% would reject it while 20% said they did not know and 5% said they will not vote.

On the Care Amendment, 56% said they would support it, 20% said they would not, and 19% did not know.

But there are many caveats that go with that, not least that it was carried out two weeks before polling.

A similar Red C Poll by the same newspaper one week out from the 2013 referendum to abolish the Seanad, suggested it would pass - with 44% saying they would vote ‘Yes’, 27% would vote ‘No’ and 21% undecided. The undecideds swung the vote to a defeat, or what then taoiseach Enda Kenny described at the time as a "wallop" for his government."

--

Political Scientist at University College Cork, Dr Theresa Reidy:

"When we are talking about turnout it's really about who is more motivated to go out and vote. For a long time it was felt some of the ‘No’ voters, conservative voters, were more motivated," she said.

"But there is definitely a broad liberal turn to the electorate. Two-thirds of the electorate now have liberal views and liberal values. So, if it goes really low that will favour the No’s. But if you go above 30% and approaching 40 - it will probably be more finely balanced," she said.

--

No politician would say that though (even from the left leaning parties) it would cause uproar.

Just on the disability rights argument -

I believe the one against the care referendum because it implies that all care is provided by those within the family. It should have been framed in broader societal sense. Like the Citizen's assembly cleverly did (IMO) referencing "family life" not just "The Family"

The second more broader argument is that there should have been mention of groups in society such as the disabled, that they have the "right" to care. Yet instead we have this "strive to" wishy washy statement based on care within the family.

--

The proposed care referendum is not conducive for disability rights because it does not provide anything. As opposed to what could have been proposed instead.

Why are you assuming durable relationships is exclusive to people in sexual relationships?

Terry Pratchet

Which care organisations are you referencing exactly that are advocating a No?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Because in the proposed amendment states "Article 41.1.1° “The State recognises the Family, whether founded on marriage or on other durable relationships"

--

It at the very least means intimate relationship in a non-marital context - civil partnerships cohabiting etc.

That is what 'The family" would be recognised as.

If that was not the intent of the wording why is it listed as a direct alternative to marriage on the same line?

Advertisement