Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I really think it's worth sending a second string side to Prague this week. Rest some of the key players for Sunday and I'd be reasonably confident we can turn around the EL tie at Anfield if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah, I'd take the risk as well.

Could get a reasonable team

Joe? Quansah ???? Tsimikas

Clark Endo McConnell

Danns Nunez? ????

Really hoping for some Mo news. Even a late cameo off the bench for the City game seems less likely now.

Sobo understandably looked rusty/rigid when he came on. I wonder whether the medical team thinks he needs more minutes or needs to be managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,180 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Even while there is a midweek game again this week, having a break from Saturday to Thursday will feel like a full week to the lads at this stage! Obviously the Sunday game is more important now. I'd take a 5 min cameo from Salah to let us know he will be ok for 30 on Sunday at this stage. He's been 'touch & go' for a while now.

There could be a couple of 45 mins job sharing roles at CB & CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Completely agree but maybe 20/30 mins in the legs of Nunez/Szobo might not do them any harm,Szobo looks very rusty and has hardly no football played since Christmas. Suppose the medical team will have the final decision as to whether they need those minutes in their legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

I agree with the above posts, I think it will be a younger team with a "job-share" approach and then some of the senior players on the bench to get some mins into them

Kelleher

Bradley Quansah VVD Tsmi

Mac Gomez Clark

Elliot Gakpo Koumas

Kounate for VVD at HT, then last30 mins for Salah and Sobo.

Mac has to get a rest imo. I'd rather throw Endo in there.

Hadn't thought about the Sat to Thurs break mentioned above.

Shame City have such a dead rubber at home to Copenhagen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Having a quick look there at minutes across Liverpool and City, and basically on average City's first 11 have played 4 extra games each this season. So, 44 extra first team players available if you take it to an individual game/position level.

We are absolutely blessed to still be in this race.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

We have to really gun for the Europa League. It has to be the priority.

The idea of beating $City$ to the title is a total fantasy, and we would kick ourselves at the end of the season if we missed out on a real chance of European silverware through some hair brained chase for the league. Top 4 is the priority there, get back into the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If he's fit enough I'd start Szobo mid week, maybe only give him 45-60 but I think he needs some decent game to shake the rust off if we want him starting vs City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,548 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

11 games left and leading by a point?? Focus on the league for now, pull in case of emergency in the EL secind leg at Anfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Any sanction of City is a political decision, such is the state of UK govt relationship with Saudi and Mansour. Legal process will be used to forestall any meaningful sanction of city and there will be no intervention.

If we were leading by at least 7 points ahead going into the game against City this weekend I'd be saying we have half a chance, and even then I'd only feel slightly confident if we beat them to extend it to 10 points (and even then I'd be saying 50/50). 1 point ahead with 11 games to go? Laughable to think City won't win the league by at least 5 or 6 points.

Also - If we do beat City this weekend, the false sense of hope that it's going to generate will be off the charts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think you’re overdoing the caution to be honest. Yeah, they’re still favourites of course, but it’s hardly laughable to suggest being within touching distance this close to the end…

It could genuinely be years until we are are leading City with 11 games to go and a chance to host them at Anfield to extend or even just maintain that lead.

Every other season it's been a proper race we have been behind them at this stage of the season.

I think ultimately it will be too much but we'd be mad not to go for it.

A result on a Sunday and then another 2 or 3 players back for could set us up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If we draw/lose on Thursday we can make up for it in the second leg. If we draw/lose in the league there's no way to ever get those points back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Thought these were interesting. Wouldn't have thought Liverpool had this high a chance for the league. I really can't see anything but a City win at Anfield tbh. Liverpool have been very, very lucky in the past few games not to concede several goals. City won't be as profligate.

If offered at the start of the season, getting to March with a 99.98% chance of CL qualification with the League cup in the bag and still in Europe and FA cup, I think most of us would have taken it.

Source: https://www.squawka.com/en/outright-markets/premier-league-title-odds/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

At the moment City are the favorites, playing well, full XI, kind CL draw and traditionally the time of year they put the foot down.

There are 3 possible scenarios for next Sunday.

1. We win, and put a 4 point gap in place. I think that would move the odds to 50:50. I wouldn't make Liverpool favorites in that scenario, but if Arsenal then beat City I think we would be.
    2. Draw game on Sunday, Liverpool stay one point ahead Honestly I think this is quite likely as neither team wants to lose. Odds stay the same, maybe shorten a little.
    3. City win, and go 2 points clear. This would be a big blow and take it out of our hands. If this does happen, I can see them beating Arsenal as well. However, even in this scenario, I wouldn't rule us out completely - we'd need a team to do us a massive favor and go perfect ourselves.

City have been the great rival of the Klopp era, and they've won more, both in terms of trophies and head to head games, including at Anfield.

However one final tilt at them (in the league anyway), at Anfield, in Klopps final season.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We have to go for it, when Klopp finishes in the summer, there's going to be a dip regardless of who takes over, so we're unlikely to be in this position again for awhile. City are strong favourites to win the league and I expect us to fall a little short, but, if we avoid defeat against City at the weekend, they have to play Arsenal who are in great form, so not beyond reason that City drop points in that match, we'll also be getting players back, so I think we still have a decent chance.

• Advertisement

If we draw with City, it hands the advantage to Arsenal. Who then have to play City also.

Have to go for the win, really. It would be a massive psychological boost/blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

While I agree with what you're saying, I'd bite your hand off now for draw! I just can't see us getting win here, we have coughed up so many chances the last few weeks due to selection issues, that you just know, if presented to City they will punish us hard. I can't see Arsenal beating City either, so 2 draws in both those fixtures would be absolutely ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

As a standalone match I'd ordinarily agree that I'd take a draw but, in the context of the league itself, I think the difference between a win and draw is so massive that I wouldn't. If we draw I don't think we can win the league, if we win we're in with a chance. So no thanks to the draw, death or glory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Wow!! I thought I was a pessimist but this is madness!! I also have said all along that I think city will win the league but if we went 10 points ahead of them with a win this weekend we would have the league in the bag ya mad yoke, never mind 50/50. Has your account been hacked or summit? 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Fairly confident Spokety is just having a laugh. I'd be very surprised otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Ah ok. That makes sense. Wooooooosh!! Went straight over my head if that's the case, which as you said is pretty likely.

• Advertisement

A patched together side running on fumes with a game every 3 days has been coughing up chances.

Hopefully with some of the more senior players returning to the starting line up, and the Anfield factor, we will see some magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Fingers crossed, especially as I'm going 😋

[Cough cough, humble brag 🤣]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

we have NEVER thrown any league title away under klopp get real . Am dying for him to get that second title considering the injuries we’ve had this year whatever happens the boys done good , whether it will be great we wait and see .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yep. In the 70s and 80s our best league win had 30 wins, i think a couple of times we got 28 and many of our league wins had 26 wins all in a 42 game season.

We had 30 wins in 2019. That's an insane season.

Football has been destroyed by the state owned clubs. City have turned the PL into formula 1. A procession. Klopp has managed to keep the joy in it but they are relentless.

• Advertisement

A little, but I'm kinda serious.. it's mostly a bit of self preservation.. but I honestly can't see anything other than City steam rollering to the title, again.

Well one things for sure, if we draw with City next week, Arsenal will likely go top on goal difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭brevity

I know Kelleher has been very good but I just worry about the caliber of players he has been up against versus the ones City have. His saves have been good, his reactions in the Chelsea game were impressive it's just Haaland I guess.

We will need a whole load of luck for the rest of the season in order to win.

Desperately need players back. Is this the longest Salah has been injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Dear Premier League.

Imagine my disgust to discover that the Darwin Núñez goal against Brentford has been nominated for February's goal of the month. I must point out that the sublime chip over the goalie was the incorrect decision by the Uruguayan and has no place in your contest.

Sincerely,

Nigel Bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

The problem is it’s a patched up squad with returning players as well as they’ve had almost no game time at all to get that sharpness of playing together and still key players out unlike arsenal or City . The lack of updates on Salah fitness for the game is a worry , him being fit to start would be a huge lift but it’s beginning to look like very doubtful each day passing with him not training . Elliot has done admirably well in his place but is run into the ground and someone is much rather off the bench vs city.

It’s been such a grind with the depleted squad while City and arsenal are playing such dominant football . That loss at the emirates seems to have kicked arsenal up to level I’ve not seen them before. We need the performance of season next weekend or even a draw and we may not see top spot again.

A draw against City would be a great result, Sunday is all about the result, performance is secondary. City have to play Arsenal, so one or both are going to drop points in that match. It looks like Arsenal are going to end up with a far superior GD than us, so we'll have to finish ahead of them on points.

Realistically, for us to win the league we need to avoid defeat against City, then win our remaining matches and hope that Arsenal and City draw., fairly long odds on all that happening, but, not impossible either. I think there will be plenty of twists yet, hopefully we emerge on top.

Munich talking to Alonso according to Sky (or Sky in Germany)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,535 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Embarrassing if Bayern are talking to their rival in title race, I doubt Alonso would do that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Up to their usual tricks trying to unsettle a title rival

Not cool if we don't have the use of Salah, but Abu Dhabi do, he really should not be going on the next international break, but Egypt love to milk Salah and play him injured or not in pointless games. The last thing he needs is 8 hour flight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭ratracer

Watching Pitalugia in goals for St Pats again tonight…..he won’t be coming back to Liverpool as a ‘keeper!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think you might be forgetting just how horrendous Kelleher’s record was at that age. Conceded 10 in 2 matches at one stage. Pointless to be too harsh on young keepers.

Arsenal with 7 wins on the bounce , most in the PL this season, I FEEL we need to do the same now to beat both City and Arsenal off , we have 4 on the run now, but next 3 league games are at home, 3 homes games in a row next, so a chance for 7 in a row. In fact 4 of next 5 league games are at home. A good time to have these .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Kelleher XGA since he came in has been unreal, his cup final performance by said stat is one of the best keeper performances on record by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

That was reported 2 weeks ago. There's strong indication that Alonso will be there next year...He was recently speaking about his admiration for Bayern, and how they in particular cultivated him into the manager he's now.

Also, who in the right mind wants to be the manager to come in after Klopp??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Reports as well that Chelsea are sniffing around De Zerbi and Amorim 😬

• Advertisement

Arsenal could yet turn out to be the biggest danger, they are banging in the goals for fun and have a nice enough run of fixtures. The outcome of the City v Arsenal game will go along way to determining who wins the league, if there's a clear winner in that fixture it'll probably propel them to the title, a draw would be the best outcome for us, as long as we look after our own business.

Advertisement