Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I can't see a 19 yr old getting minutes with Leinster when there's a 21 year old with more experience available. Not knocking Spicer, but he's not close to where he needs to be. C.O.T is older and fitter and has a good bit of experience.

Spicer may not make the academy. Corrigan is the same age and looks at a higher level. I'd get them both into the academy tbh. It's also a possibility that Mikey o Reilly makes the academy.

All the best wishes to Ross on his journey. I hope he's getting good money. Shrewd signing by Van Grann.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Will Deeney make it long term? I don't see much in him, be it strength, athleticism or handling but he may be a decent, cheap 4th choice lock for a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Always enjoyed Molony’s partnership with Triggs, odd times at Leinster but they seemed to have a good partnership going.

I think the more exposure he gets the better he'll be. He's going to see a lot of minutes and he's got the ability. Deeny is fairly big and he's more of a workhorse. Replacing Molony is difficult, as he is very much needed for leadership. Deeny won't be expensive and has still got potential to improve. I reckon Deeny will become a solid operator for Leinster. It will be interesting to see if Soroka is retained and seen as a 2nd row. Between them, there's reason to be optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Maloney is a stalwart but as I mentioned before there is a financial tightening going on at all the provinces and someone like him as a 4th choice lock is probably too expensive.

Also at some point you are blocker of minutes to up and comers who “might” make the grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Sorry to see Molony go, but he's too good to be the bit part player he was likely to become next season. It's not that long ago that Crusaders were showing their team videos of Molony's ball handing and passing skills as a way to unlock defences. He's obviously not a top tier lock in his own right, but he has a unique blend of skills that make him a top tier squad player. Excellent leader and expert set piece operator with the ball handling skills of a centre.

This is a very astute signing by Bath. Finn Russell should be able to maximise all of Ross Molony's qualities as a link forward in their attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Yep good signing for Bath, he is English qualified too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's a very interesting soundbite from Murray Kinsella in today's Rugby Weekly podcast. He's been speaking to a member of the Leinster camp who says Leinster have completely changed how they view the league season.

Previously they strive to win every game and get as good a seeding as possible for the playoffs. Now they view the regular season as a warm up for those fixtures and aren't as gung ho about placing as highly as possible. Very Springbok mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Harper Whispering Police

I'd hope Leinster are still looking to win every game, but I sincerely hope the mindset is changed enough that we don't leave any more knockout games in the hands of jokeshop referees. No more second strings, don't care what's coming up the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

How can you find the schedule and watch the schools cup

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

only 2 games left

premier sport 1 tomorrow at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The @LeinsterBranch Twitter account is good for info too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sounds like pure nonsense to me anyway. Leinster used to absolutely coast the league season and now they can't coast it any more. The notion that they take it less seriously now than they used to is hard to fathom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Gemma Repulsive Liquor

Id say they where alright

"Hey sam whitelock and scott this is the goal"

How's Molony England qualified?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Will be sad to see Molony go but the need for the likes of him to bolster the squad is not as strong as it was in the past.

There are fewer games played during international windows and with the WC out of the way the top players should be back reasonably early into the season this coming year and they reassess what a world post Snyman looks like for when guys are away with the Lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I'm kind of surprised it took leinster to hire a springbok to tell them that you can only win trophies in the playoffs. Was that like a one page powerpoint or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Why? You don't win anything for topping the league after the regular season. They're still aiming to win the league. If you're clearly superior to everyone else during the regular season you're kind of showing your hand too early. Now they're aiming to peak when it matters most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sharks are definitely testing the upper-limits of said strategy this season.

Doesn't sound like nonsense to me - seems like coaching 101 given their circumstances.

Ignoring all else, even from a pure player mentality perspective for this season it would make sense to frame it as a season long effort to the team, as they are learning so many new things.

You shouldnt/cant dump everything on them at once, you want them to build on what they're learning over the season with a goal of peaking by the knockouts.

This is even more important when the core of the squad wasn't there during preseason and missing a big chunk of time now - they're going to at times take steps back during the season and you want them not to get frustrated and to continue to be forward looking. You want them to be ok with making mistakes now if it helps them to be are ready later.

Their goal is still to win every game, it is just the messaging that is different.

You can win the league and win the regular season just fine, and that should be the goal with the squad Leinster have. Leinster's problems the last two years have had absolutely nothing to do with "showing their hand too early".

Also, SA's supposed approach has not been mind blowingly effective in the RC or domestic competitions. Three consecutive 1 point wins in the World Cup does not suggest a flawless, winning strategy. There has been a huge element of luck in their success.

Nah, I'm with awec. "viewing the regular season as a warm-up" is nonsense. Also, if they genuinely don't care about where they finish they are morons. An away semi final in SA is an entirely different prospect to a game in Dublin and you'd be a fool to not care which you got.

Do you really believe anyone in Leinster 'genuinely don't care about where they finish'?

Feel you're getting worked up a little too much about a third-hand paraphrased comment. We've seen them actively push for late wins and bonus points celebrate them. There is zero evidence they do not care.

I don't know any element of life where you're learning something new and treat every test as the final exam that must be as close to perfect as possible. Not only is it not achievable but it is also mentally exhausting. Every sport talks about 'peaking at the right time', I dont see how this is anything different, though potentially poorly worded here.

No. For clarity, I think if Kinsella really did report it as "Now they view the regular season as a warm up for those fixtures and aren't as gung ho about placing as highly as possible." then his reporting is nonsense or poor framing.

Not sure what the issue is then.

Leinster have never gone 100% to win every game in the past so anyone framing it like it never happened before is wrong.

It isnt the worst thing in the world if there is potentially more discussion this year about losses not being the end of the world during the regular season, given the huge change and disruption they faced so far this year. There is no evidence they are purposefully dropping points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Will be sad to see Molony leave, he’s a fantastic player. Mad he hasn’t been capped at all really.

Had heard he was going to Chicago with Nick McCarthy, Dave Kearney and Adam Byrne last summer. Obviously Byrne retired instead and Molony got the offer from Bath which will be a far better move for him personally. Think he’s good mates with McCarthy and Mark O’Keefe who’s already over there so it kind of made sense when it was mentioned but he’s far far too good for that American league.

Advertisement