Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭straight

He said he was dealing with solicitors letters. What a grabbing kunt she sounded like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Yea but no mention of dna and no doubt the alive brother was scared or worn out and didn't fight for proof. We've heard of all them cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Jack98

Plenty stories like it all over the country my great grand father made no will my grandfathers sister was married away to another farmer he pushed her to contest my grandfather farming away the land after their father passed ended up selling the whole place, my grandfather managed to buy back just less than half of what he was farming drove him half mad and he died a young man. Caused a lot of divide in that generation but a valuable lesson for the following generation.

Seen similar in our family 3 or 4 years ago. Still happens but maybe not near as much. It's headwrecking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Heard of a case where a married woman contested a will of a bachelor farmer who she used to visit. The bachelor had red hair and her child had red hair. She remained happily married through everything. When there's land and money involved. Everything and anything does be on the table for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If you watch from 19.00 he says that the women wanted some of the brothers hair. The interviewer asks him why she wanted the hair and he said that it was for some sort of test.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Very sad case going on here locally. Don't want to give details, but a will was made and relatives that got nothing are going to contest it. This means bringing it to the high court. It's a small farm so the resulting legal fees would mean that a big chunk of the land would have to be sold anyway to defend it. The guy that it was all left to, has been advised by his solicitor to sell the bulk of the land to keep them happy.

He worked the land all his life and they did absolutely nothing. If it was me, I think I'd go through them for a shortcut.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭visatorro

What was the point in making the will?

The solicitor gets paid to make a will. Another solicitor contests a will. Then another solicitor advises a sale from which they'll get money from aswell. Never trust anyone in a suit basically.

Is it just the fact that if you have money you can contest anything

A will isn't as legally binding as you think. I always thought it was, but this case really opened my eyes. You can contest a will for example, under the 1965 Successions Act. Under that act a spose or partner is entitled to 1/3 of the estate.

"A spouse or Civil Partner has rights under the Succession Act 1965, s111/A. They’re entitled to one-third of their partner’s estate."

Overview Of Contesting a Will |Probate.ie | Probate.ie

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Sorry. I remember that bit now. Fair play 👍🏿

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭divillybit

Ah I think if there's a big enough estate and there's several family members that would have a strong claim to the estate if the Will was challenged then it's recommended by some solicitors to remember them in the Will and leave about 5k to each of them minumum so that they have been reasonably provided for.

Regarding the the 2 old fellas in the video, I was thinking if the land was registered in both their names as joint tenants then the surviving brother would be entitled to be registered as sole owner of the property upon the passing of his brother. If they were tenant in common owners of a half share each for example then she might have a case if she was actually his daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

That was a tough watch about the two brothers. Poor chap looked heartbroken when he was saying the dog was more faithful

I don't know why everyone is so condescending about those 2 brothers. Plenty of the old generation were like that. Hard work and a daily routine filled their day. They may not have a great formal education but they were wise enough to survive. Those types were great crack too, when you got to know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

There was a solicitor near here and in his waiting room there was a painting of a cow and one man had her the tail and another had her by the head and there was a third fella sitting down milking her.if that didn't tell who wins in these things nothing will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You can find everything on the Internet, from a needle to an anchor.

The 2 buyos in the middle suspiciously fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Odelay

I think the woman was right to ask for her share. Her father (the eldest brother) didn't provide anything for her as best I can make out. All the second brother offered her was a "kick up the arse". If she wasn't a daughter then the last thing she would have wanted was a clip of his hair as that would have proven her wrong.

"She had fifty years to contact". Was she meant to start making contact from the day she was born? Probably took many years to find out who her father was. And if she did make contact, would she have been given a warm welcome or told she'd get a "kick up the arse" like the younger brother offered?

Lads can't be dropping kids and then not supporting them. More money was spent on a loaf of bread than she ever saw from her father until she stuck her oar in. She'd have far more rights to the older brothers share of the farm on his death as his daughter than the younger brother had.

There is a romance about the land, but people cannot ignore the fruit of their own romances. He knew the facts of life and how breeding is done. What did he expect when he slipped it in? A DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Given the time period wouldnt the women the brother had the child with of in all likeyhood ended up in a magdalena laundry with the child adopted/sold by the nuns?

Was a nasty act back in times to pull a one nighter on the man's part and walk away when the above happend and not marry the women in question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Watching farmer Phil lasted episode pushing back in the brash from the hedges. Fcuking looney law that I can’t burn it. He’s wasted more diesel and probably more emissions than burning the effing thing would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tileman

I always thought putting dead bushes into a hedge will kill off a hedge.

lovely block of land he has rented .what u wouldn’t do to own a block like that

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

The tradition of Bonfires on bonfire night - St Johns night on 23rd June still exists or at Halloween night.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

Had anyone heard that word Phil used for a boundary hedge shared with a neighbour? Mern he spelled it as.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yeah. Wife here uses it for boundaries. She often refers to the county merning (spelling may be suspect)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭visatorro

Fed by farmers podcast is done by the fella off the sheep game. There's a very good one with the hoof gp. Very interesting back story and goes into how much many he made from YouTube etc. Very successful man. Does anyone know anyone that did his online hoof trimming course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Yes used here less than a half hour drive from Phil’s place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

He's pronounced it differently to how I've heard it, he's said Merrin.

It's officially mearing, and it's in the dictionary so not a uncommon term

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Faced with the issue of rearing a 100 extra calves , no problem just get on with it, another great husband and wife team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Dcrm0rZ4M

Post edited by orm0nd on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

He’s gonna regret shoving all those bushes into the hedges. There will be massive gaps in those hedges in a few years time

Those heifers they left out are like ones you’d expect to be coming into the shed in October/november

Advertisement