Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's not the same kind of "out and about" though is it... he didn't just randomly trek out in the small hours to the Murphys. They were drinking in the pub together and went back to the house to continue?

So it seems a stretch.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

ive every right to post here - you don’t have to jump on every post I make-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You have a right to post here, and others have a right to respond to your posts as you have done to theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.

It was a question, I'll rephrase it;

Do You think both Alfie and Shirley went to the dump..?

Also that 'fact' you posted is incorrect. There was forensics there that day.

Det. Pat Joy attended around noon, he had forensic and crime scene management training. He took the early photos of the scene, easily distinguishable from the photos taken later by the Dublin team who arrived around 9 or 10 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

I will hazard a reasonable guess that your being dingengeous in posting about forensics

Pat joy was a garda with some forensic training

He was not the official Garda forensics team who took crime scene evidence etc. which is what I would have been alluding to .

They were not at the scene at 12 that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Once again it's pure Bailey.

Nothing is straightforward.

Why on earth would he not tell the truth about where he was the night before the murder?

You maybe answered already in your first two sentences...

Its Bailey being Bailey, not necessarily the actions of a murderer.

Some combination of messing with peoples heads... booze... and conflating stories with reality if they 'read' better.

Exactly

Just the type of carry on that helped make him and kept him prime suspect.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

I'm seeing any outstanding questions and I'm not here to answer questions designated by you

There's little point arguing with u anyhow

You're claiming that forensics were at the scene that day at 12

It's a dishonest and disingenuous posting style common to a few posters on this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭MacDanger

But since you have posted information that contradicts this "fact" continuation of the use of that narrative has disappeared from these pages.

So when apparently credible information came to light on the thread which contradicts what some posters may have thought, rather than endlessly pursue that line of enquiry, they stopped? That seems like a positive for those posters rather than a negative IMO

Well what I was referring to was the people who have said here that there was far more evidence to suggest that Alfie and Shirley were the killers rather than Bailey.

This far more evidence usually included the notion that Shirley was allowed to drive through the cordon unaccosted to the dump with a boot full of potential evidence.

That has now been debunked and the people pushing the narrative that there is more evidence to point to Alfie and Shirley as the killers have gone quite on using that narrative.

Which is fine, it makes sense as you suggest, but what is most interesting is that the narrative itself was based on misinformation, not facts.

And that's the problem around here, some people are far too willing to ignore the facts that we have and come up with their own facts or repeat misinformation to try and come up with some narrative that others have more valid reasons to be viewed as suspects than Bailey

I'm a firm believer that Ian Bailey was the best suspect for the murder based on the facts that we know.

You realise you are making statements of fact about what was posted to the thread, and yet you have not supported that with actual facts?

That's not my recollection of the topic at all. I think you'll find if you go back that discussion of Alfie stopped long before the information was supplied by poster bjsc. The discussion had moved on with Bailey's death and other articles in the media such as the Independent one with Bridget Chappuis (which did not mention Alfie or the rubbish).

Was the information about Alfie stated as a fact? Or was it presented as a reasonable assumption based on the information then in the public domain? I recall it being the latter.

That was only one of the points mentioned in relation to Alfie, which also touched upon opportunity, motive and other points such as bandaged wound. This was done iirc in the spirit of pointing out how easy it is to construct a case against someone taking the same flimsy circumstantial standard used against Bailey - rather than seriously implying Alfie was the killer.

And even if the bags were taken from the car, it would not change the point that Shirley wanted to drive on, and was allowed to drive out through the cordon possibly destroying evidence.

There has been misinformation on the thread, and some of the misinformation related to implicating Bailey. Where statements of fact are made without factual basis, these are often challenged or the source for the claim queried, both ones about Bailey and other suspects.

Here's some of the facts around Bailey that can really be refuted, since some of them he admitted to himself.

His first alibi was false, bad memory or not, it was false. He never sought to correct this false alibi until he was arrested and only changed it when he heard his partner withdrew that alibi.

He 100% had a bonfire. Forensics examined it and found evidence of clothes and shoes were burned.

He admitted to having a feeling the night before the murder that something bad was about to happen. He wasn't a clairvoyant, we know that. He admitted to having this feeling on numerous occasions, most notably in court.

3 facts that can't be argued against, although some will try.

Aside from that there are other facts that managed to draw attention to him. Now he was either guilty or innocent but did a first rate job of shoe horning himself into prime suspect position. Either way there is no doubt he deserved to be a suspect and either way he brought that prime suspect status on himself. Messing around with alibis for example is always going to raise suspicion.

The idea that Bailey should never have been a suspect is laughable. There were about 50 suspects initially and he was one of those, but eventually 49 were able to rule themselves out only for him to remain due largely to the facts I mentioned.

I'd add the beating of his partner to the list of facts.

He was a man unquestionably capable of using extreme violence when provoked or in a certain mood, especially when he had whiskey taken. There's no real evidence of such violence used by the other 49 or so suspects, unless someone can provide it. Its another reason for him being a suspect alright.

There's no real evidence of him using such violence anywhere outside the 'hothouse' of a domestic situation. If he so unquestionably capable of using extreme violence in those much broader set of circumstances you outline, where are the other examples of it?

How can you say there's no evidence of type X against the other 49 suspects, when you don't even know who they are???

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

I can't remember if it was this thread or the 'RIP Ian Bailey' thread but a poster put forward the theory that the mistress of Sophies' late husband Daniel was of eastern European origin. I think it was also mentioned that the mistress was also pregnant around the time of the killing and Daniel was in financial difficulties.. notwithstanding alimony payments from previous marriages etc. A photograph was also posted of the mistress and her brother in an embrace. The brother bore a striking resemblance to the photo-fit which I assume was the same one provided by Marie Farrell. (In fairness, it also resembled Ian Bailey). This 'hitman' theory was quickly dismissed as being ridiculous.

In light of Jim Sheridans recent comments/findings.. requesting AGS to check ethnicity of DNA on Sophies boot and a connection between this unidentified individual and Daniel.. perhaps it's not so ridiculous after all!

Personally, I don't subscribe to this 'hitman' theory. However. it does provide much food for thought.

The reason I don't know them is they were never considered a serious suspect. The evidence against them, circumstantial or otherwise is nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Sorry.... You have a list of these other 49 suspects?

Please share...

And you personally know none of these potential suspects had a penchant for domestic violence..?

You are of course aware that most cases of domestic violence goes unreported?

• Advertisement

This is just circular logic. You don't know for a fact that there was nil evidence against them. You don't know for a fact that none of them had records for violence.

You don't know who was on the list of 50 so to make any specific claim about them as a whole is completely without foundation, and therefore without merit.

Perhaps you should review some earlier posts you made on the thread about the importance of "facts" in light of your current posts making factual statements without any actual basis in fact, at least none you have provided. You haven't even attempted to provide any factual basis to support your claims.

I'm not sure about the hitman theory myself, although I do think a hitman if hired here would attempt to stage the scene to look like something other than an assassination.

To me it looks more plausible that went there without murder in mind but perhaps to threaten Sophie, or someone they thought was there (such as the mysterious French citizens hiding out in West Cork), and things got out of hand.

Some posters just want Bailey to be metaphorically hung drawn and quartered - they’re not interested in entertaining any other discussion on this thread unless it involves admitting Bailey is the only person that should be held responsible for Sophie’s death

Since you suspect these other suspects the onus is on you to provide evidence, circumstantial or otherwise. There's no rush since we've already been waiting 27 years for a rival prime suspect to Bailey.

I'm also still waiting on you to tell us when the forensic examination of Baileys car and house took place, seeing as it's a central reason for your belief he was innocent.

Post edited by tobefrank321 on

Murders unsolved for years, are often solved by chance/luck and the perpetrator is often someone who was never under suspicion - usually it’s a partial DNA match to a piece of evidence left at the scene decades previous that enables the breakthrough and often that DNA match comes not from the perpetrator themselves but from one of their relatives arrested for some other crime, and then linked back to the perpetrator.

To “demand” a list of suspects from other posters if they don’t agree that Bailey should be the only one is complete and utter childish tosh and doesn’t merit a reply.

Forensic science is likely the only process that has a chance of solving this case but even then is reliant on a lot of dependencies.

Im not interested in playing school kid games so if you’re one of those posters who jumps on every post demanding things, go sling your childish hook somewhere else - I’ll just report your post for badgering me yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, the murder of Colette Aram in Nottingham is a good example.

The perpetrator was identified 27 years later when a relative was arrested for drink driving and his DNA was taken.

For goodness sake. This is becoming a farce. You have no problem having a go directly or indirectly at others but as soon as someone responds to you or even defends themselves, you cry foul and claim they are jumping on you or badgering you, while throwing personal insults at them.

If you can't handle people responding to you, this is not the thread for you. Its a discussion forum not a soap box.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

I think its the quality of the response that's the issue.

• Advertisement

Rubbish. Theres nothing wrong with the quality of my responses. They are generally reasoned, well argued and mostly supported by evidence and facts.

Contrast that with Oscar whose spent the last few days telling us he's no interest in going over it all again and people should stop badgering him.

Advertisement