Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

In my opinion, GoBus is better.

Nicer coaches and usually not as busy as the Aircoach in my experience.

I've gotten the AirCoach or GoBus to Dublin, perhaps 20 times or so in the past year or two, mainly for work, and never had an issue tbh.

Buses are on time, and clean. Just bring a jumper as it can be a little cold on them. I see people of all ages and creed on them. Non-nationals use them a lot I found, as they are much better value than the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yes I think a coloured graphic showing the seasons would be helpful too.

As has been posted, much of the detail is available on the airport website, albeit not all in one nice graphic like this.

Cork-Munich is ski season, weekly. Salzburg is another ski flight albeit chartered, I think by Topflight. If you call them they can sometimes sell you seats outside of the holiday.

On a related note, Cork-Munich used to be very frequent many years ago, it's a shame to see it down to once a week.

They were held up on the plane on the ground. Delayed landing or getting off flights is common in ANY airport. Many air- travellers don’t pre-book seats on trains for this reason.

That is why people get the bus, as there is an Express Bus to Cork every 30 minutes, which for your parents is free. Great value tbh.

There is a bus from the Airport to Heusten every 20 minutes, it was called the 747 but I think it's changed. From what I gather there are plans to have hourly train trips to Cork from Dublin, so perhaps booking a seat is no longer needed shortly, but one can also book flexi fares. Again though, off-peak if your parents rocked up, they would be able to get it for free.

As far as I know (correct please if I am wrong) pensioners in these places you mention that have fantastic Public Transport pay for their fares.

In Ireland, your parents can get from Cork to Dublin airport and return, for free. It just may warrant 5-10 minutes to check out the options.

Clueless as to how it actually works is a really odd statement here, because in my experience, it actually means very well clued in to how it actually works, and actively avoiding the options which they know don't work for them, from experience.

My parents use buses all the time in the city, and used the train this time, they are huge public transport advocates, but a 3+ hour coach is simply not appropriate. As it isn't for many people, both visiting and living here, for many reasons. And yet when I give that example they are called stupid, naieve and snobs. They are none of those things, but this is the attitude. God forbid they were a tourist!

In fairness, no one called your parents stupid or snobs. I have to set the record straight on that.

And lastly, if your parents were going to get on a plane in Dublin, then many of those mobility issues perhaps don't affect them.

Of course, there are edge cases with people with more limited mobility, where other forms of transport may suit, but you didn't categorise your parents as one of them.

Lastly, your parents are free to choose what means to get to Dublin airport as they wish, there are several options available to them.

All I am saying is that it's not nearly as difficult as it's made out to be. You say a 3+ hour bus journey isn't feasible. But a 45-minute bus journey to Dublin City, and then a 2.30-hour train journey is. Fine, but if one is going to rely on multiple modes of public transport to get from A to B, then perhaps 5-10 minutes checking out timetables and the like would be wise. They can assess the different options and choose one that suits them best. It is a free country after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Can't help but be disappointed that route map. Cork needs links to places like Berlin, Madrid, Lisbon, Munich on a year-round basis if they want it to grow any further. The lack of Berlin and Lisbon is particularly poor.

Also seems like Ryanair are cutting frequency of UK routes over the Summer. Trying to book a UK flight for August and there's less option then compared with now. Shocking flight times too, a lot of them arrive back or depart at crazy times. Not just the UK either, I see some of the Tenerife flights depart at 8:30pm, not arriving until almost 1am in Spain. Mad times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭revelman

I see mention of Salzburg. I’ve regularly travelled there from Cork booking flights only on Tuiholidays website. I dont think many people know about this option (albeit Winter only). Aerlingus fly the route as charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

^^this is the big problem for regionals a lot of people don't know about such an options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ryanair are using a lot of Canary Island based planes for these routes now which is disappointing. It's not so much about "loosing a day" but arriving so so late (too late to hire a car etc) and the alternative is that you come home at 6am which ruins the last night of a holiday. It's the same for the Knock or Shannon flights this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saw on one of the vms about delays tomorrow, imagine it's a tractor protest.

https://waterford-news.ie/2024/02/23/cork-farmers-to-protest-at-mondays-county-council-meeting/

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭TheBetsy

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Anyone have access to the plans. Will they build out or in to the existing areas on the mezzanine?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

The Request For Tender has been issued for the new mezzanine by DAA for Cork Airport. European Dynamics - View CfT Workspace

The documents are available here" European Dynamics - Notice & Contract Documents

You can get a good idea of the plans from the project scope in the documents:

The scope of this work package comprises the main design and build works to provide for C3 security technology at Cork Airport. The scope of this Competition includes, but is not limited to the following:

• Mezzanine extension over arrivals area, (extent to be confirmed at RFT stage) that can accommodate the required number of C3 equipment lanes.
    • New security screening area will be located at the Northern end of the Terminal Building. When screened, all passengers will route through the retail area. The new retail area will comprise of the existing retail area plus the re-purposed old security area.
    • The old screening area will be modified to provide an enclosed area that will be delivered as shell and core with MEP service provisions for a future detailed retail fit out via a separate project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Excellent. Good to see this going ahead. Big enough project, but will make Cork airport even easier than it is now. Those new machines are gamechangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

GREAT NEWS !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

How frequent was it last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 fjr13

7 per week. The increase is only for July and August. To coincide with the Olympics I'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭thomil

Apparently, there's also an upscale in equipment on the Friday & Saturday flights. They'll be operated by A32x aircraft rather than the regular E190s, and judging by the flight numbers, these larger aircraft will operate the Friday & Saturday flights for the entirety of the summer schedule. To be honest, I'd prefer if they went year-round, but it's still not bad.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

A good strong summer for that route and it could change things for winter

Yes, very good. I would like it year round. Although that said, Air France / KLM and their partnership make this tempting, there is still the case that CDG can be far less user friendly than AMS.

Though CDGs lounges are much much better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Have Air France amended/cancelled some of their flight times from Cork this Summer? The 10:50am Cork to CDG flight is no longer bookable for Saturday 3rd and 4th of August. I'm almost 100% certain that there was a flight at this time as I've been keeping an eye on the prices for the Olympics.

Per your link though it's supposed to run on Sunday's, which is the flight I had been looking to book. It's no longer available to book, I wonder why.

• Advertisement

It's showing for the Friday and Monday. Only reason I can think of for not showing Sunday is that it's sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Unlikely, it would massively rise in price before selling out.

Yeah it's hardly sold out 5 months in advance surely. Might have to use the Beauvais flight then so if the CDG one doesn't reappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

August 4th is bang in the middle of the Olympics. A travel agent, or even a supporters' group, probably booked the Cork-Paris CDG seats en masse.

I know it is, but all the others are still available so thought it a bit unusual. But maybe there really was that much demand for this specific flight.

• Advertisement

Great to hear soundings of new winter routes hope they come to pass. But I wish they would drop the whole getting Dublin flight back. Just improve the public transport options for starters.

Actually the return of turkey even sun charter would be popular. Wasn't fond of it when I holidayed there 12 years ago but know people who love it and go on multiply return holidays there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Istanbul would be a great option once Turkish Airlines have direct flights to Australia.

And not just for onward to Australia. Would be great potential esp with changing demographics in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Istanbul is a fabulous city to visit! I'd love to go back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Maybe in the future, at the moment it's pretty one way travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭scrotist

Are all the Gran Canary flights out of Cork at feckin 8pm?

And you land at midnight? Or 1am for the Tenerife flight. Probably don't get into bed until 2 or 3am.

What the feck? Do Cork people take those flights or do ye go from Dublin? Seems like a massive dose. Or am I over reacting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Correct, they've changed a lot of these to Tenerife based planes and up to last month, were looking for ridiculous prices. there's also the possibility of going out at 11am but coming home at 6am which is equally as bad.

I read somewhere that Ryanair are cancelling a Fri lanzarote flight due to aircraft shortages.

Aer Lingus will have a 6.40 am flight on Monday and Fridays from June 10th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was looking to book a few days away this week, obviously the choice was poor as usual but so many of the return flights are like 4/5am, it just totally takes the enjoyment out of a trip having to go to the airport at 2am.

I think flights from Cork are already more expensive than Dublin but I'd pay around €200 to avoid Dublin. Surely this is taken into account when Ryanair are adding flights in Cork, they can get more fare from Cork

Noone wants to fly from the regionals eh. Here's hoping the momentum continues. Must be an increase of 100k for 1st quarter of the year

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0404/1441634-dublin-and-cork-airport-passenger-numbers/

• Advertisement

Great to see, shaping up to be a very busy year. Could do with some diversification from Ryanair though at this stage I feel and a few more hub/capital city airports would be great for options.

Iberia to Madrid, and TAP to Lisbon spring to mind as routes which have potential.

Lufthansa Group schedules could also be greatly improved. Zurich schedule is particularly bad this year, only once weekly for most of the season and ending in mid/early September. This route was 4x weekly before covid. LH could add Munich also, Aer Lingus ran that route successfully for many years (and still does for Jan - March as a ski route).

Agree would like to see it over dependant on ryanair. They ones you mentioned are good options. Would like to see maybe emerald running Glasgow too. As I said let the positive news for the airport continue

It still baffles me why Aer Lingus don't do Munich December - March, rather than just January. You'd fill planes with Christmas Market traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Was only saying at home that I'd love to go to Christmas markets in Germany but there's a serious lack of flights from Cork and absolutely despise going to Dublin airport.

The lack of German city options (especially in winter) is one of the main glaring gaps in the Cork schedule.

Probably won't see any German routes I'd say unless Lufthansa want to expand Frankfurt to year round or add Munich. Ryanair aren't really adding much in Germany at the moment, and Aer Lingus have no real interest in expanding Cork.

Noticed some sweeping cuts from Ryanair for many routes for the month of October, whatever that is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

Can Aer Lingus come back and compete with Ryanair on the Alicante route…PLEASE!

The prices to Alicante this of year is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Acosta

Aer lingus have no interest in Cork. I expect nothing at all from them except more frequency on existing resort type holiday destinations. There's no point getting wound up by them. More routes from other airlines besides Ryanair is what we need.

I would love to know why Ryanair have never had a flight to the biggest country in Europe out of Cork? when they have had plenty of routes to most other countries in central Europe over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Ryanair had Cork-Berlin for a while, before they moved them to Shannon, and then Kerry and then removed them completely. Each time they moved airport they had a big argument with the associated Irish airport about charges/costs. It's very disappointing but it looks like they perhaps just couldn't make it work out financially.

Munich is more disappointing to me: Cork-Munich used to be very frequent with Aer Lingus, perhaps even daily at one point. It's now down to weekly over three months of the year.

Lufthansa flights to Frankfurt are very expensive, I really hope they stick with it. Hard for me to justify the cost at the current prices.

Edit: I think there was another German flight, maybe Hamburg? No sign of it any more. Cork passengers are not connecting to Germany enough by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Love to see EasyJet have another go at the market here, think they tried 20 years ago but didn't last long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ryanair could run them out without much issue.

Advertisement