Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't want to associate myself with any group or demographic that might also be advocating for the position I personally am taking and I don't believe it appropriate or fair that you assign all people who chose to vote no the position of racists, anti imigration or indeed selfish.

Who is losing out at the moment that won't lose out from a tax perspective if this vote were to pass or indeed from any perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What type of families exist now that haven't always existed. I'm asking this because the yes side keep taking about these new 'diverse' families as if they are something completely new. Single mothers would hardly be new. An unmarried couple with kids is still a traditional setup so can't be that either. So give me an example of these wonderful diverse family setups that need to be recognized?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Like many people these days, I know several families that are not founded on marriage and I dont think any of them feel they are not a family. They might be more determined to vote yes if the change meant parity with married families in areas like tax rules and inheritance but RoG said that will not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

No side continues to shorten. The closer we get to polling day it's looking very uncertain if Yes will prevail in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think the key to the narrative was/is the lowering of the status of the marriage "on which the family is founded"

So if you take marriage of the "pedestal" = then the theory is "diverse families" (non married etc) are not "excluded" symbolically.

--

But then the irony is not lost on me in the marriage referendum (same sex) there was untold joy about being able to marry.

Yet, now we have a scenario where the status of marriage as the "foundation" of the family is removed while "durable relationships" are implied as an alternative.

It all seems very confusing even from a philosophical societal viewpoint. And it does make me think, was the marriage referendum a waste of time?

Since now "durable relationships" would be placed in the constitution and the protection of marriage as the foundation is being removed.

Proposed to change Article 41.3.1° by deleting text shown with line through it:

“The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack.”

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I see Ruth Coppinger has decided to change her vote from Yes Yes to Yes No.

She has scores of posters plastered across D15 advising a Yes Yes vote and she accused No campaigners of being far right.

Now she's changed her mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Regina 9 genders Doherty and the lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Eamon Ryan in 2017 defended the so-called "women in the home" amendment. I wonder what changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

Your grasp of constitutional interpretation rivals Roderick’s but it is wonderful to see those who object to recognising only the family based on marriage have come around to arguing that “durable relationships” must resemble marriage.🤣

And how would you deal with this test case? Why should this woman’s “durable familial relationship” with her father prejudice her claim for social welfare?

Vote Yes and the State must “strive to support” the care she provides for her poor ageing Godfather.😡

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There ya go again, putting words into other posters mouths. Insidious kinda carry on.

I think I've made it plain enough that in the case of single mothers and their children plus arguably unmarried couples with children, some sort of recognition in the constitution is warranted. Though nothing in the latter case to stop them getting married.

And this government you support, could have done just that but no, they've chosen a cack handed term 'durable relationship' which is open to far wider interpretation in the courts. And that is why my friend, we should all be voting no, including you. It's not to late to realise and change your mind..

• Advertisement

Did Roderic study constitutional law?

I wouldn't look at that as constitutional issue based on the family as the main point of law. There are much more obvious issues, even before you get into the familial relationship question IMO.

I would view that as question did Gilligan's daughter benefit from the proceeds of her father's criminal activities to such an extent that it would preclude her from social welfare? Irregardless of their familial relationship?

As was pointed out way back in 2000 -

But it certainly is an interesting case.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

I didn't assign all people, hence the reason I said "the major basis" and not "the complete basis". As I said, I haven't seen any other reasons mentioned for voting No on the family referendum is those.

I don't know if there is anyone who will gain following the referendum, but that seems to be the main argument people are using for being against it. "Oh what if people in a durable relationship are entitled to the same tax benefits as married couples, it's a disgrace Joe."

There you go again, putting words into others posters mouths. Insidious kinda carry on.

But this is the only proposal to give then recognition. And you'll vote No, why? Because you don't want couples to get the same tax benefits as married people? Fair enough.

I don't support this government. I think FF and FG have no interest in this referendum tbh. It's been driven by the citizens assembly and because the Green party had it as part of their manifesto. I won't be voting No in the family referendum. As I said, I'm not the type of is outraged at the idea of a couple getting the same tax benefits as married people.

Ivana Bacik debating earlier admitted the wording isn't perfect but said people should vote Yes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

"If that was not the intent of the wording why is it listed as a direct alternative to marriage on the same line?"

But that's exactly the point some people are making. An alternative relationship to marriage.

A sexual relationship or, alternatively, a non-sexual relationship.

My view is it is on it they infer intimate relationship between two adults. The defacto heads of the family.

A non-sexual relationship would one founded on what two random people that met in a pub with no sexual interest, would not be a "family" in my eyes. That would be a club.

I looked at the electoral commission website again to see if there is any clarity.

Under the "effect of a YES vote":

"The Family founded on other durable relationships means a Family based on different types of committed and continuing relationships other than marriage."

--

But most notably to me under the same part the electoral commission (effect of a YES) states that:

"The Family founded on marriage means the unit based on a marriage between two people without distinction as to their sex."

There is no mention of a sexual relationship there but we all know for a marriage to be a valid one it has to be consummated.

A decree of nullity may be granted in respect of a voidable marriage if either party was unable to consummate the marriage or if either party was unable to enter and sustain a normal marital relationship.

--

Where the fun and games will start is the following statement of the electoral commission:

-- " So, different types of family units would have the same constitutional rights and protections."

That basically means to me lots of legislation and court cases from those within "durable relationships" to see how much rights they are entitled compared to the Married Couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't know if there is anyone who will gain following the referendum, but that seems to be the main argument people are using for being against it. "Oh what if people in a durable relationship are entitled to the same tax benefits as married couples, it's a disgrace Joe."

NOBODY understands what a durable relationship is - that's the issue. Moreso NOBODY has been able to explain the difference between a "durable relationship" and "marriage".

Marriage is a very well defined aspect of our society and it's not just gotten tax implications (as we know from previous referendums)

One wonders how on one hand the state decided to water down the institution of marriage in one line then pledge to guard it and protect it against attack in the next line.......It makes NO sense.

The second amendment is just as bizarre.

They are both extremely lazy amendments with little thought of what they actually mean from a practical sense and a lot of people are genuinely wondering why we are spending any resources on such a half a$$ed effort at "modernising" the constitution.

I was having look at "durable relationship" as per EU law

I found this article -

Durable Relationship and Family Members “by Analogy” in the European Union - Tanel Feldman & Marco Mazzeschi - Review of European Studies; Vol. 10, No. 4; 2018

From the abstract of that paper:

"Rights of residence derived from a durable relationship with an EU citizen, are left to a relatively wide discretion of the Member States. Pursuant to Article 2.2 (b) Directive 2004/38/EC (“Directive”), “the partner with whom the Union citizen has contracted a registered partnership, on the basis of the legislation of a Member State, if the legislation of the host Member State treats registered partnerships as equivalent to marriage and in accordance with the conditions laid down in the relevant legislation of the host Member State” qualifies as family member. Provided that they have a durable relationship (duly attested) with an EU citizen, pursuant to Article 3.2(b), unregistered partners are as well beneficiaries of the Directive.

The durable relationship was expressly excluded from the scope of Article 2(2)(b): “Unlike the amended proposal, it does not cover de facto durable relationships” (EU Commission, Document 52003SC1293).

Article 3 (2)(a) covers “other family members” (no restrictions as to the degree of relatedness) if material support is provided by the EU citizen or by his partner or where serious health grounds strictly require the personal care of the family member by the Union citizen. Pursuant to Article 3.2, “other family members” and unregistered partners can attest a durable relationship, must be facilitated entry and residence, in accordance to the host Member State‟s national legislation. In the light of Preamble 6 Directive, the situation of the persons who are not included in the definition of family members, must be considered “in order to maintain the unity of the family in a broader sense”

"The questions discussed in this paper are the following: (i) are Member States genuinely considering the concept of durable relationship in view of maintaining the unity of the family in a broader sense? and (ii) how to overcome legal uncertainty and which criteria, both at EU and at international level, can be taken into account in order to assess whether a durable relationship is genuine and should be granted the rights set forth by the Directive?"

--

The conclusion of the published article above stated:

"All Member States undertake an extensive examination of the personal circumstances and justify any denial of entry or residence to unmarried partners. Most of the Member States attach little importance to the maintenance of the unity of the family in a broader sense"

--

So interesting times ahead if this amendment to the Constitution passes for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

But there is no obligation on the state to support women(and certainly not men, given they aren't even mention in the Constitution under this section). The current Constitution states the government must "endeavour" to support women in the home. That's not a right.

The Constitution has to be read as a whole. In simple language the current Constitution states the Family is the foundation of society and is indispensable for the common good so guarantees to protect it and acknowledges the support women gives to society by looking after the family so therefore will do as much as possible to ensure that mothers will not have to go out to work due to lack of money.

Article 41.2 was the reason the government introduced a deserted wives benefit and an unmarried mothers allowance. A man was not allowed either allowance because under the Constitution the state was only required, under 41.2, to support women in the home.

Under Article 40 all citizens are to be treated equally so a deserted husbands benefit was introduced but never proceeded with because all the women's benefits - widows, deserted wives, umarried mothers allowances and benefits were amalgamated into one payment - the Lone parent payment which was available to both men and women.

The Constitution is treated as gender neutral in the courts - a man can be a stay at home parent even though the Constitution only mentions woman and mothers and a woman can become President even though all the functions and duties of the President refer only to him and he.

Sorry should have said disability rights organisations not care organisations. Been dragged down the rabbit hole again! I just googled some but I'm sure there are others:

While googling I also noted that Justice for Magdalenes and the Trinity Students Union are also calling for a No vote.

And of course the long term disability rights campaigner Tom Clonan:

https://twitter.com/TomClonan/status/1764347736420217171

I don't see how it can be detrimental to disability rights. It certainly won't improve them, but in the current Constitution there is nothing that says the government must improve accessibility, transport or any other issue impacting them. But I do understand why they aren't supportive of a yes vote.

It will be detrimental because it will put a new Article in the Constitution that puts all responsibility for care onto the family.

• Advertisement

Do you not realise that if this passes, there could be many unintended consequences for ordinary families in family law court cases. It's far too vague a term and I think it is reckless to expose families to unknown complications. Someone opined above that men with mistresses would be rushing to vote No. Maybe but in truth it'll be their married spouses who'll be queuing up to vote No first, to try and limit the dissipation of family resources among other or multiple durable relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Government decides to bribe the voters to get a Yes,Yes.

For over 80 years, the Government has simply ignored the State's obligation to "endeavour to support" mothers in the home. But the Minister for Social Protection promises that she will open the State's chequebook if we vote to make this obligation gender-neutral.

This is an egregious breach of the principles underlying the McKenna Judgement which held that spending public funds to promote a Yes vote is a breach of the democratic process and of the constitutional process for the amendment of the Constitution. In McKenna, the State had spent money on a publicity campaign. How much worse if the State offers money directly to the voters for Yes!

Fairly blatant all right. But who trusts promises like this and particularly not promises from the likes of Heather, here today and gone tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Shoog

I agree with the principles of the referendum question, but will be voting no because the implementation has been drafted in such a way that rights are been withdrawn and no new rights are been offered as substitutes.

The government seems to have been caught out be the peoples council asking for more protections - said they had to do something but attempted to withdraw rights on the sly. Very dishonest of them.

That is how low our democracy has sunk.

A Minister tries to bribe the electorate but fails because no one trusts her promises!

It will be an interesting line of defence for the AG if the Supreme Court hears the challenge to these bogus referendum campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its a shame that I seem to be on the side of the bigots on this one.

You've made your mind up based on research and the debates.

I would find it profoundly stupid to vote against something based on what "bigots" might be supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I never got any bribe- I want my bribe please!!!! 🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

Advertisement