Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar: "It's not the state's responsibility (to provide a home and an education)"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

After 42k in 2024, the marginal direct tax rate on any extra income is close to 50%.

Very few countries apply such a rate at such a low starting point.

It is bonkers crazy that workers on below-average earnings face close to a 50% marginal tax rate.

And before anybody says it, marginal rates do matter!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Gerard Brady of IBEC produced this graph, to show how the SRCOP has not kept up with wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

he's a hypocrite as LV and his parents availed of fully funded/state supported primary school

lol, you’re holding him accountable for a decision his parents made when he was four years old?

I take it all back, perfectly reasonable debate and not at all crazy hate-fuelled lunacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭downtheroad

How else are we to pay for the "forever homes" and the rest of the "entitlements"?

No PAYE earner pays 50% of their earnings to the state in income tax/USC/PRSI. If they do, they are doing something very very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Alot of people get private Healthcare through work and are BIK on it, so that is another tax.

Ok Universal is the USC

Motor tax is another one, thk you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭downtheroad

You do understand that if your employer paid you the extra €1,500 as salary instead of providing the medical insurance, you'd pay tax on that salary? So why would you get €1,500 worth of medical insurance free of tax?

Don't forget to claim your medical insurance tax credit by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If Varadker was proposing removing free access to primary and secondary education then you could call him a hypocrite, but he isn't so what are you going on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I never said we shouldn't be paying tax on it, just said it was a tax, which it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Leo and the rest of them should read the proclamation of independence. Not be letting foreign vulture funds buy land and apartment blocks at the expense of Irish citizens. And Brussels telling Irish landowners what they can and can’t do with their own land.

We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland, and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be sovereign and indefeasible. The long usurpation of that right by a foreign people and government has not extinguished the right, nor can it ever be extinguished except by the destruction of the Irish people. In every generation the Irish people have asserted their right to national freedom and sovereignty; six times during the past three hundred years they have asserted it in arms. 

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's the state's responsibility to provide for housing.

So I took out a mortgage for nothing?

Leo and the rest of them should read the proclamation of independence. Not be letting foreign vulture funds buy land and apartment blocks at the expense of Irish citizens.

Where in the Proclamation of the Irish Republic does it say that we should prohibit foreign businesses trading wiht Ireland?

Under which specific piece of legislation would stop them buying our land and appartment blocks?

And Brussels telling Irish landowners what they can and can’t do with their own land.

The city? Or do you mean the EU and EC which we are an extremely content member of? I'm not sure if you are involved in agriculture but if so, are you happy receiving your "free money"?

As for what people can and can't do with their land, we have planning laws, pollution laws, wildlife/hedgecutting laws, etc so why have you a problem with another law which will help protect our green image?

• Advertisement

The proclamation?

Give me strength

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,632 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Guys, guys — enough with the bickering about tax. Whether the state does or does not have responsibilities in the areas of housing and education doesn't depend at all on what tax rates are.

For the record, Ireland collects about 37.5% of modified Gross National Income in tax. That's pretty close to the EU average. However compared to other EU countries we collect a relatively greater share in income tax, and a relatively lesser share in social insurance contributions (or equivalent). We also have lower property taxes than the EU average.

As to the State's responsibilities, we'd do far better to look at the Constitution than to bicker over claims about tax rates. The State does have a responsiblity with regard to education; the Constitution is quite explicit about this. It beggars belief that Varadkar wouldn't know this.

It has less to say about housing, providing in Art 40.5 simply that a citizen's dwelling is inviolable and cannot be forcibly entered save in accordance with law. Art 41 recognises that a family needs to have a home, but says nothing about who is to provide it. The State's duty to safeguard the family presumably provides a constitutional basis for state policy promoting the provision of housing, but there isn't a lot of detail there.

But, whether it's constitutionally required or not, the State always has had a role in the provision of housing. We inherited this role from the UK in 1922, and greatly expanded it in the decades that followed. The notion that the state has no responsibility in this are is, um, a novel one.

(And, if Varadkar really thinks that the State has no responsibility for the provision of education, which is demonstrable rubbish, his views on whether the State has a role in the provision of housing won't command much persuasive authority.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I believe he has shut up shop in Dublin West so he might be moving to a new constituency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think what often gets missed on the debate on tax rates in Ireland is what we end up having to pay for private health costs here.

Private health insurance is an optional extra in other European countries.

In Ireland it's basically essential if you can afford it, and takes a very sizable chunk of peoples salaries.

After that there's many more smaller examples of sneaky stealth taxes ('voluntary' school contributions as a perfect example), all of which add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Leo has never been a good communicator but surely the primary responsibility to provide a home and education does indeed rest with the family and typically the parents. The state has a responsibility to make sure both are available, in certain circumstances to provide supports and in exceptional circumstances, to step in, in place of the family.

Think about what it would mean if the state were responsible for providing a home and education for your kids, would that be a benevolent version of an industrial school?

Even at a much less extreme version, does the state get to decide where you live and what school your kids go to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The state having to provide access to housing is very different from having to provide housing.

If the state had any fixed obligations to house people it would be chaos - it's good that we do have social housing etc, but if there was some mandate on govt to house everyone we would collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

He thinks is it the responsibility of the taxpayers to pay for his private jet jaunts to Europe, huge pay and pensions for him and his fellow politicians and staff ( of all parties etc). Him and his nephews and nieces will be well looked after. It is what we pay so much tax for, so much vehicle import duty, higher vat than the UK and most of Europe, VAT on housing here ( in N.I. and Britain there is not VAT on housing ), you name it, we are continually being screwed.

And like a frog being boiled, we do not even realise it. SF or FF or the greens would be no better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Every child should have a home and and access to an education as a basic start to life in this very rich country

They do.

That seems to have been overlooked here.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

when my parents had kids in late 70's / 80's they got no help from the government , now its just a welfare state

handouts for everything etc makes me sick tbh

get rewarded for spreading the legs and having kids ( by all means help ) but not a house , no incentive to work , vicious cycle as the kids see mammy getting everything etc

if you knew you'd not get a home by having a kid , you'd think twice about having one ( yes i know alot still waiting on housing etc )

you are have to make your own way , don't expect others to food your bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If anyone is interested this is the full interview not the Compass Media edited version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Allinall

Someone should have told your parents about children’s allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

obviously got that 😁

i'm talking about a free house etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,157 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No one pays 50% let alone anyone on below average wages. The median FTE wage is approx 35-42k depending on how you source the data. None of that (in 2024) would be taxed at 50%. I earn significantly more than that median wage and my overall tax rate (increased with some BIK and reduced with pension contributions which are Gross) is not 50%. I think it was approx 40% when I worked it out last.

I despise this idea that everyone pays 50% tax if you earn 42.001k. The level of financial IQ in Ireland is very very low.

We were building more local authority houses in the 60's than now.

And by the way LA tenants pay rent on a graduated scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

Be wonderful if that new constituency was a different continent. Gone. Like fooking gone.

Bit of a straw man? I haven't heard any suggestion that the state has a mandate to house everyone.

• Advertisement

Are you under the impression that local authority housing is given out for free?

Advertisement