Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Paul Rowan on X

FA still insisting this morning that Lee Carsley is not for moving, despite the renewed speculation .... a case of nothing to see here as far as FA and Lee are concerned ... they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

Whole thing is incredibly hard to read.

If Lee Carsley is prevented by his contract from discussing any future jobs while he's in his current job, and his current job is with the FA, then it makes complete sense that the English FA wouldn't be discussing any future roles.

It's amazing that there doesnt seem to be any journo with the inside track with the process. No one in the media has the foggiest what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah must be only 3 or 4 guys at the top of the FAI running the show, and none of them breathing a word to anybody else...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

This is behind a paywall, anyone read it? Interested to know what he had to say on Szmodics..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

He’ll watch Blackburn striker Sammie Szmodics, the top scorer in the Championship who was recruited but never capped by Stephen Kenny. “He is scoring lots of goals”, said O’Shea of Szmodics at yesterday’s press event.

“Obviously a very important player for Blackburn. Young Andy Moran has linked up with him for plenty of goals as well this season. We will wait and see over the next couple of days.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Its about time, the old way seemed to be news/stories were leaked to the press before anyone of the board were told anything.

My theory on many of the nonsense stories that we have heard is the journos are actually shocked and pissed that they cant get the news and are throwing names out there to get a comment back to actually try get to the real story. What is it now? 4 or 5 managers that we have been told by different journos in different papers that have been offered the job. Why not for once give the FAI a bit of respect for actually trying to do things right behind the scenes.

Didn't we have a leak last year from a board meeting about someone complaining about all the leaks 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Well notice that its the director of football and ceo doing the manager search so no leaks from them and whoever is involved in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

There were leaks of course but they turned out to be tots bullshit. There could be a whiff of Hill and Cabham playing out their own version of Wagatha Christie I suspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,045 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Be waiting years to see us play England in a competitive fixture and both senior Men and Women's team have the honour of doing it in the same year

That women's draw is a sickner and probably couldn't get any worse

Like the way Liverpool hierarchy managed to sit on news of Klopp's departure for months. Maybe the suits/blazers are getting more professional about this kind of stuff..

Scores his 20th league goal of the season tonight. Has 26 in all competitions. Obafemi too getting his first of the season tonight after coming on at half time for Millwall.

Lee Carsley not expected to take Ireland job https://the42.ie/6317971

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,045 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus who the feck is getting the job

Like the Covid lockdowns cans will continue to be kicked down the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,992 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't think it's Poyet.

Surely Greece are the favourites for their playoff path? Don't the Greek FA have a plan to keep him if they qualify? I can't imagine they want to get a new manager in and have three months to prepare.

Does Poyet think they won't qualify? It wouldn't give me much confidence in him if so. Or does he plan to leave even if they qualify? That's no commitment whatsoever.

I just don't see a way that it makes sense for him to agree a deal when there's a chance his current commitments haven't finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

His contract ends March 31st irrespective of qualification. He’s been looking for a new multi-year contract, which they’ve thus far refused to give. He’d have to sign a new deal with them to go to the Euros, and it sounds like he’s refusing to discuss a short term one.

TBH I think he’s just been using us publicly in the media as leverage to get a 2+ year deal from them if they qualify, rather than a 4 month one. So I don’t think he’s the one we’re close to signing either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I thought we were bad. Imagine employing a manager for a qualifying campaign and the contract ends a couple of months before the tournament.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Did we not kinda do that when Kenny took over for the playoffs?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We’re back to John O’Shea and it’s his if he wants it then.

You mentioned some comment from someone in the FAI about something in April? I think if John and his team settle in, look the part, get off to a decent start why wouldn’t he be considered for the medium to long term. Lee Carsley has only underage experience on his CV. Gus Poyet is negotiating with Greece to extend his deal and appears to be using us as a fall back if he doesn’t get what he wants. Loads of other candidates have become unavailable or ruled out. O’Shea is in possession, see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭bren2001

The Euros were moved by a year due to COVID and so were the play offs.

Absolutely not the FAI's fault there. Micks contract went past the Euros if they happened on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

In that instance we already knew Kenny was going to take over, and COVID delayed everything to the point where Mick wanted out of his contract as it had gone past the original end date which would have been maximum the end of the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

John Oshea has effectively no chance of getting the position bar the chosen mystery man Marc Cabham spoke about in the last press conference dramatically pulling out or dropping dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I see what you mean having read an article from the Examiner about what Canham has said. I don’t get why if it’s Carsley that he can’t be appointed now for these games as opposed to putting John O’Shea in until April? Brian Kerr and Glenn Whelan on the staff as well. What’s stopping Carsley taking the job immediately? A couple of U21 games? Seems a long drawn out process, more complicated than it should be.

I totally agree re Poyet; he was using Ireland as a means to negotiate with Greece.

I saw David Sneyd's piece on Carsley on my twitter timeline not long after I saw a peice on Twttier from the Sun saying it was definitly going to be Carsley.

Impossible to know at this stage.

We'll all be shocked when the curtain draws back and it's BiG SaM.

Nah, I just don’t think Poyet is the person we’ve been talking to.

I think he’s just been talking about us publicly enough such that the link is out there for him to use to push his negotiations with Greece.

I think the person we’ve been talking to about signing in early April is either Carsley, or someone a bit more under the radar.

its not really up to him, or us though I guess… he’s under contract with England, and we can’t afford to be buying anyone’s contract out. So perhaps England have said; “alright you can go, but not until after these upcoming qualifiers - then we have time to replace you in the gap to the next ones.”

• Advertisement

Or at least let the FAI announce his name and put us all out of our misery. Has anyone actually read that 42 article; does it look it's based on aything solid?

not really… this is the total extent of what they have to say;

“The 42 understands that the 50-year-old has reaffirmed his commitment to the English FA and will stay in charge for their U21s’ upcoming European Championship qualifying campaign.”

No mention of why that’s what the 42 understands. Not even a ‘sources close to’, etc. Feels pretty click-baity.

(as an aside, you can see it by just opening the article in ‘reader’ mode if your browser has one - works grand on Safari on the iphone)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Duffer very likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,992 ✭✭✭billyhead

Anthony Barry?

Whether it's Carsley or not Carsley I doubt the FA are gonna come out and admit that it's him whose leaving for the Ireland job.

While he could be out of a job at Bayern soon, so might be allowed leave his contract early but he's also contracted to Portugal and don't see why he'd leave that job two months before the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Any chance Paddy McCarthy will be manager, and he's named in an assistant's role for now as he sees out a month's notice as Assistant Manager at Palace? Perhaps with a new manager joining to keep them in the league they wouldn't be happy for him to just leave the club directly and would insist on him seeing out the month?

• Advertisement

Next to no chance I'd say. Seemed pretty pissed off that they didn't just approach him directly, instead reaching out via 3rd parties. I'd say the message that actually got to him in the end was something like Purple FAI Monkey Manager Dishwasher Job. He's made it very clear only a couple days ago that he's no interest in it anyway.

Damian Delaney was on Second Captains the other day talking him up in a big way anyway, saying he's a future star manager. Delaney was also saying he's very much being groomed internally to manage at Palace down the line.

Doubt it's him for right now though. Would be a bit weird to be appointed assistant to the interim, and then a month later usurp the interim manager to take over 😅

Much like our players over the last while, there's a lot of promising names around, but a lot are still just too young and inexperienced for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I heard the same discussion, and then also from Palace fans I know about him being highly thought of. All of which sounds like he's a person with a at least a similar profile in the game right now as some of the other names going around for the permanent job, which put it in my head that maybe there's a chance it's him that's stepping up in April (and he'd then finish up with Palace).

Yeah, good to hear of these talented up and comers... hopefully even if he doesn't end up in the running for the managers job, he sticks around as an assistant for us. Seems this double-assistant-jobbing thing is all the rage these days!

If I were Lee Carsely, and my name was consistently being linked to a job I've no interest in, and am not taking, surely it would make sense to distance myself from the role at some point. Like, it doesnt work for him for his employer to believe he's off flirting with other employers for months on end.

There's nothing to be gained from him allowing this to rumble on*

Or am I missing something here.

*granted that it's only rumbling on for people who are interested in who the next men's Intl manager will be.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think that's the main thing leading me to think he probably is the guy they've been talking to about coming in next month.

Like, that 42 article maintains they 'understand he has reaffirmed his commitment to the English FA'... well, like, there's no better way to do that than to just say it. It's one of those 'silence speaks volumes' situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

Brian Kerr admits he doesn’t think Lee Carsley will become the new Ireland manager next month.

England U-21 boss Carsley is back in the spotlight this week after the news that existing contractual obligations are preventing the FAI from announcing Stephen Kenny’s successor until early next month. John O’Shea is taking interim charge for the March window and will name his squad tomorrow week.

Carsley will lead his side into two European qualifiers later this month, but with no competitive action afterwards until September, Monday’s news led to fresh speculation that he's set to be installed as the new Ireland boss.

But Kerr, who is part of O’Shea’s backroom team as a technical advisor, says that he would be surprised if his former player Carlsey was announced as the FAI’s man next month.

“I’d be surprised if Lee was back in the frame. He played when I was manager and I have been in touch with Lee a bit. I would be surprised. Unfortunately, I don’t think he's in the picture, but I could be wrong,” said Kerr, speaking to The Ray D'Arcy Show on RTÉ Radio 1.

“Marc (Canham - FAI director of football) and Jonathan (Hill - FAI CEO) have been doing the work on this with Packie Bonner (FAI board member) and have kept things very close themselves. I haven't asked what’s happening, but they seem very assured that they have their man and that he will be available come April.

“From what Marc said when he was with John in the Aviva on Monday, it sounds like they have their man in place and ready to go once this time period of his contract elapses.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Now back in the Ireland set up for the first time since departing his post as manager in 2005, Kerr admits he doesn't expect to be involved with the senior side past this month’s double-header against Belgium and Switzerland.

“I’m sure if it went well it wouldn't do him (O’Shea) any harm for his future chances of getting the job permanently down the road. I think from what Marc said the other day, they have somebody else lined up and that John is only in for two games. That was my understanding of it,” said Kerr.

“I’m involved for roughly a month and that’s it, I don't expect to be involved for any longer than that. I’m more than delighted to be involved for these two games and to pitch in.

“John called me himself and then I had calls from Jonathan and Marc from the FAI as well. It was a big surprise and I wasn’t expecting it. I was away on holidays when I saw the announcement about John but I wasn’t thinking that I would be a part of it.

“I thought that type of stuff was gone. But I had a good relationship with John going back to when he was a young lad playing with Waterford Bohs and when he was in the underage international teams. Then when I was senior manager, out of the 33 matches I had John played in 27 of them.”

Kerr was speaking just before he departed for London where he will take in QPR v West Brom this evening and run the rule on the likes of Mikey Johnston and Sinclair Armstrong ahead of next week's squad announcement.

“I was at Manchester City v Manchester United on Sunday and there were a couple of lads there playing for Belgium so I was watching them, but this is the first match in terms of assessing how the Ireland players are doing in live games,” added the 71-year-old, who was Irish boss between 2003 and 2005.

“I’m going to QPR v West Brom and we have a few lads playing there, (West Brom’s) Jayson Molumby and Mikey Johnston who is on loan from Celtic, and has started very well and scored a few goals. For QPR, we have a few players there like Jimmy Dunne and Sinclair Armstrong. Armstrong scored at the weekend and there are one or two others who are eligible for Ireland too.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,012 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If Kerr is part of the interim management team I don't think he should be making comments on it at all really.

Bingo.

Also that's some fence he's sitting on though.

“I’d be surprised if Lee was back in the frame. He played when I was manager and I have been in touch with Lee a bit. I would be surprised. Unfortunately, I don’t think he's in the picture, but I could be wrong,” said Kerr, speaking to The Ray D'Arcy Show on RTÉ Radio 1.

I would be surprised if he's back in the frame and I don't think he's in the picture but throws in the I could be wrong through just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I find it impossible to believe Kerr doesn't know exactly who the next manager is.

He's saying he knows for sure that it's not Carsley and hints he's talked to him about it. He also knows the FAI, now his current employer, have been trying to keep things quiet so he doesn't want to completely burst their bubble after they brought him in out of the wilderness after 20 years so he throws a bit of faux doubt in at the end. It's cute whorism at its finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Bilic linked one night, Sagnol the latest name. Lads just throwing out names in the media looking for headlines surely.

I still reckon it will be Carsley, but Sneyd coming out saying it won't be him has surprised me. I'd have rated Sneyd as a reliable journalist so maybe some truth behind it.

But if someone at Kerr's level knows then at least 20 or 30 others must as well. And yet it hasn't leaked. Apparently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Why does it have to be so black and white as to assume either he is definitely taking the job, or he has no interest whatsoever? That big huge grey area in the middle of those assumptions is the reason why he's keeping his mouth shut.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

No leaks? The media reported about a month ago that Carsley was not taking it. Seeing as this now appears accurate there were clearly solid sources. There are definitely leaks in the FA and FAI just no official from either set up is going to put their name to it which is leading people to believe the papers are just making stuff up.

We've already had teammates like Kilbane come out and say Carsley is not taking it and now his former international manager.

Kerr says he's in contact with Carsley and presumably he's asked him is he taking the Ireland job. He may well have even tried to persuade him to take it on behalf of the FAI at some stage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement