Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would ask about bottles been rejected were they Bottom or Top end in and getting rejected?

Cans go in base first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In fairness sticking fake barcodes on cans and collecting refunds you are not entitled to is completely different to picking up litter and collecting the refund due.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think a poster a few days ago said bottles go base first too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

I Disagree with the overall premise of your comment, but i also honestly admit that what you just described would infact be a waste of my time as I already earn good enough money, and its not be feasible or worth the risk to anyone that has a stable income. Most Salaries pay more per hour than doing that sort of thing. if i'm going to take time out of my day to go to a machine i'm aiming for something over a tenner at the very least, and also do it legitimately with proper cans and bottles containing the logo, the REAL logo and barcodes, not some random thing printed out or copied, or a sticker or anything like that (which i'd imagine takes even more time for a person to do).

You may have gotten steps 1 and 2 mixed up, but i don't think it matters anyway.

These lads that are doing this sort of thing need to get a job that gives them access to 1000s of legitimate cans and bottles, so they can do it the proper legal way, instead of chancing it with stickers. As far as we know, the return ceo said people can redeem cans that other people discard/throwaway, so perhaps a job where factories do this on mass? ;) i've read the handbook and as long as the deposit is paid, anyone else reclaiming that deposit is fair game. if your brother or neighbor gives you an empty can they purchased, after consuming it of course, you are free to bring it to an RVM and get the deposit. Same also applies with any that you find, as ceo of return suggested people doing with any cans/bottles they find

Speaking of which i've alot to redeem today, a massive amount. and when i say massive i mean MASSIVE. wish me luck

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

With no disrespect to anyone, I find it ludicrous that one month into this scheme, the actual process of using the RVM is still not commonly understood. And, I include myself as yet to be charged a deposit and have yet to see anyone using these machines.

• Advertisement

You have a good point, but some people value their time more than others, especially if more money can be gained doing something else.

i like the tv show analogy you mentioned, but adding to it not only is watching tv €0 an hour, its actually minus whatever the electricity costs too! Infact some people even pay to watch tv shows, and by this i mean pay on demand for renting and online movie or series or some pay to watch thing. There's ways to actually get paid to watch tv too, but its very hard to reach and requires being part of a survey panel and being picked.

i tried it one time when recovering at home from a workplace related accident, and it was fun for a while but then got boring. Long story short it makes you watch tv shows differently, in such a way where you can't really enjoy the show and are getting paid to analyze things and give feedback on what you watch, like literally every episode. There's no relaxing and watching if being paid to do it.

in all honesty what seems like the bigger waste of time than anything mentioned here thusfar is this return scheme and the RVM machines themself. They've takenn alot of people's time, and its very disheartening especially when they don't work. There's been countless stories of people here coming with bags of cans and bottles and then leaving empty handed. Sometimes only 2 or 3 are accepted. Very annoying when that happens.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

They do have an Internet connection in the specs of the machines but fire ahead with the Paddy-Spec jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭SteM

I didn't get steps 1 and 2 mixed up, no. They needed to find out the barcode for an inscope can before they could replicate that barcode and print it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Maybe we should all hire a film crew to follow us to the shops?

Live stream maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Tesco delivered to me this evening, and I got charged a deposit on an own brand bottle of cordial which has no ReTurn logo on it.

I have always washed these bottles and placed them in the green bin outside my door. Now I have to bring these bottles to a machine for a coupon, and for this particular bottle have been charged a deposit which the machines won't give back to me.

Who is keeping that deposit now? Tesco? ReTurn? The state?

Typical Ireland, make a balls of something that was working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭SteM

It doesn't have to have a logo to get your deposit back. Check the barcode on the return website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,574 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

An absolute scam of a system. I generally laugh at people who scream 'scam!' at anything that annoys them, but this system is just that.

'Not for Profit' is bollox

(i) The people working for them need to get paid, and the more systems they sell, the more money they get, so there's obviously a motive for them to push these whatever way they can

(ii) The obvious hop on the train of shrinkflation and rip-off charging by manufacturers and shops taking advantage of this, branding pack design changes as 'new' for a way to charge a higher price

The Government here have been sold an absolute pup. I don't care about what other countries are doing and if it's working well there etc. I care about my own country, and it's absolute bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Rare win, got an 8 pack of Carlsberg the other day in SuperValu not charged a deposit on them but they have the return barcode on them. Machine accepted them all so saved myself €1.20

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No you're just a guy.

I'm not going to humour your weird requests.

And anyway, you'd dismiss them out of hand if I did lower myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭con747

Look up 2 of the top lads running it Ciaran Foley and Tony Keohane, both old school Tesco and a platter of other directorships including the FAI, and because afaik it's registered as a CLG company they can make a complete balls of it and walk away with no liabilities so nothing new there.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jj880

Agreed. Its no coincidence prices have jumped up. Gouging as you say but extra staff and admin are needed for this caper also. Is 2.2c per container (22 euro per 1000) going to cover it. A fanciful notion at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

Local Tesco today. Small store.

A few people coming in with their bag of bottles & cans.

Machine not working. They were standing around as staff peered into the machine unable to do anything.

I will continue to put my plastic bottles and Al cans into my recycle bin at home. I wish i could elect to give my bottles and cans to charity to collect the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,583 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's also the aluminium value of the cans plus the % of people who aren't claiming. The figures for the income streams were gone over extensively many tens of pages ago.

Why do I have visions of e-voting machines and fire sales?

• Advertisement

There are a lot of people on this thread who so, so dearly want this to fail and go away but that isn't going to happen.

The bulk of the issues people are reporting here are not widespread and are teething problems. Most are the fault of manufacturers or retailers (machines off or full, items being charged that aren't in scope, stuff with logos that isn't scanning anywhere); some are either possibly (barcodes not scanning in some places - could be database distribution issues) or entirely (RVMs not on the map) Re-Turns fault though.

Is this income streams to the retailers?

I was under the impression retailers get 2.2c for each container that actually makes it into the RVM.

with that being said, there are also alot of people on this thread who actually want it to work as intended, and are annoyed at the simple functions not even working. We're also annoyed that we have to pay a deposit upfront, and having no real reward for taking part in the scheme other than our own money back. its like we're being coerced into recycling at this point, something thats meant to be a voluntary.

we don't like being forced to pay a deposit tax on choosing to recycle at home, and we don't like having to help ireland meet targets they were given due to mismanaging/not properly recycling our recycles for the past many years. we should'nt have to pay for their mismanagement and failures. we should be rewarded for helping ireland meet goals not punished for not helping.

No, I thought you were referring to the amount producers pay to place a can which is about the same. The price rises so far all seem to be on the producer side. Misinterpreted what you were asking.

Retailers get that 2.2c, or ~3.2c for manual returns. Manual will never pay its way but the RVMs should at least cover their own costs.

Would it be fair to say "cover their own costs eventually"?

Given we're in the early stages of this scheme and theres still old stock to shift but it would be interesting to see some numbers on containers making it into RVMs and manual returns as it seems (to me) this determines the retailer's return on significant up front costs.

The longer these teething problems persist and with reports of not many people using the RVMs the number of containers making it back into these machines must be lower than expected. Its only logical retailers dont like how the numbers are looking and are increasing prices to compensate.

• why do we have to pay a deposit actually? Like could they not have done what Lidl was doing originally and giving you money to recycle cans and bottles?

At least then you might argue there’s a benefit to the scheme but as was just said this is just charging you unless you recycle with the machine. it’s almost insulting.

“well we don’t trust you to use the bin so we’re charging ye unless you bring it back here and PROVE you recycled it”

I can only speak for myself. I have been green and an advocate for recycling all my life and reared that way. From milk bottles, keeping jam jars etc for further various uses, newspaper for the fire or cleaning windows, dress clothes moved down the line to work or play clothes and then to rags. I paid well over the odds for three years as local dairy's moved to tetrapacks and I changed to keep the milk in the bottle. I was further indoctrinated in the early 80's when I spent some time in America and began the use of proper/modern style recycling.

I object to this ill thought out scheme which rather encouraging the general public to properly and recycle more, it punishes them as their standard waste charges go up, it appears some retailers and or manufacturers are raising prices, and the whole process is inconvenient and appears in many cases a shambles.

Lidl was spending their own money on that, as a marketing stunt. Who do you propose funds that long-term?

It'll be your own money whatever the answer is - if you expect the Government to pay for it, it'll be from tax revenue. Retailers and producers would just put it on to prices.

Prices were hiked on day one in many cases cited here; so they were not doing it based on the volume of returns.

I'd expect they're covering running costs already in most stores; covering capital costs is going to take time. There's up to 6k back per retailer for the capital if they have "low" volumes (under a quarter of a million containers a year is considered low)

• Advertisement

When I hear subsidies especially related to private business because of a government programme, my ears prick up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement