Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The thread is about zero refugee policy . Sending them back at arrival by plane when they have no documents is just that perhaps try to follow what I actually posted at least .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes now you have it, we don't have to accept the parcel. Return to Sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm just struggling to follow what you're saying. One minute you're talking not talking about asylum seekers, then you are.

Let's keep it simple and you might answer my question too.

How do Russia, and the Philippines, deal with people from uncooperative home countries, or unidentifiable home countries?

Where do they send them back to?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, there should be biometric checks on all pax on entry and exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In that case, you would almost certainly be deporting real refugees - even genuine refugees sometimes have to go down the route of travelling on a fake passport (as they had no passport when they fled their home country).

• Advertisement

This might make things a bit clearer to you.

Refusal to land does not necessarily mean that incoming travellers are refused access to the country, however.

Of the 10,226 people refused permission to land across the country in that 16-month period, 1,630 of them were returned to their point of origin, just under 16%.

Previously, secretary general of the Department of Justice Oonagh McPhillips told the Public Accounts Committee that people refused permission to land will typically seek asylum under Ireland’s international protection obligations and engage with an immigration officer.

So some people will go back, accepting they don't have the correct visa etc. For those that don't, denying them the chance to seek asylum doesn't mean they'll just vanish in a cloud of smoke, or the airline will take them back on the next flight.

You can't simply hack the processes airlines have for dealing with the 16% who will willingly go back, maybe accepting they were just chancing their arm or made a genuine mistake, and expect it to deal with all immigration. Even if you could, it wouldn't stop people coming in through NI or the back of lorries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This might make things a bit clearer to you.

Return to sender, address unknown. No such number, no such zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

And do we do when they get send back to us? Send them back again then and rinse and repeat forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Surprisingly, outside of Ireland, refugees and asylum seekers don't get lots of freebies and are not as entitled as lots of them that are coming here on the daily.

They will need to pay out of their pocket for these flights if they want to retry, or you know, get the message that they will be sent back.

But that's too hard of course, let's just allow all the criminals with false documentation and passports into the country and give them all the freebies, so the virtue signallers get a nice cosy warm feeling for helping out those lads running from that big war happening in Georgia, you know, that war we see on the news daily?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

They won't need to pay out of their own pocket for these flights. The other country will just send them to us and pay the cost themselves.

We could do that. Or we could just process their application and reject and deport them if deemed not valid? Not sure why you are so against that approach though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Would love to know why my post was deleted on the sly.

I stated that we should not be accepting refugees from outside of Europe, giving the example of people from Africa coming here and to Europe when they should be going to other African countries nearby.

Yes, we should not be accepting these people who are so removed from us culturally and educationally that they will never offer anything to our society apart from taking a few more euro from your pocket.

I did not receive any warning or contact as to why my post was deleted, so the only reason I can think of is that it didn't break any rules but someone didn't like it so decided hey ho I'll remove it anyway.

I have never heard of those being sent back returned again can you provide a link ?

How do they board an aircraft using a passport be it fake or real .

Again I repeat I am posting about those turn up at airports with no documents only .

I am struggling with what you on about with that garbled sentence .Where did I say that we should take asylum seekers. We cannot even accommodate them now .

Yes for you I will try to keep it simple .They are sent back by the airline to the country they departed from it may not be their county of citizenship .Unidentifiable countries!! They have advanced passenger information or do you think they came from space .

Those who turn at the asylum application center with no documents should be fast tracked .There should not multiple appeals , deported and should not be able to remain in accommodation.The option of assisted return or self deport is there .Those who feel an empathy for their plight could take them in .hint .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

So you want to talk about people who turn up at airports with no documents and ignore the fact that most of these people are seeking asylum?

After that it seems you want these people sent back to the country of their flights origin, despite that country having no obligation to take them?

In practice a very small minority of people do go back on return flights, presumably where they agree to do so.

Expecting the airlines to deal with everyone else is not without consequences.

We could do as the US does and have rigorous pre-clearance checks to try ensure asylum seekers don't attempt to enter via airports.

How that would work with the CTA and EU I've no idea, I'd also imagine it would add significantly to the cost of flights.

Will it do anything to lesson the numbers arriving here? I doubt it very much considering people can just walk across the border up North, or be trafficked in by ferry.

An arrangement could be made with the UK for the return of those who came there on visas or overstayers and are now claiming asylum . There is at present no return of those who claimed asylum there !

There will be those coming from Gaza in the future so the the future looks bright .

Another pull factor to seek asylum if he is listened to . This minister does not even mention if their claims are genuine. Bring in more to build houses and then more again !

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41344643.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

What exactly is this arrangement we could make with the UK?

Will we sign up with their Rwanda plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Are you suggesting the UK take steps and invest resources to take back illegals residing in Ireland that entered Ireland via the UK?

• Advertisement

Presumably we'll have to pay the UK for this service.

I wonder what they'll charge us, considering their Rwanda plan is currently coming in at £2 million, plus a yearly fee, per Asylum Seeker. And they haven't actually managed to deport anyone yet.

Indeed. There isnt a snowball in hells chance the UK would take back illegals, for any price.

They are trying to stop them coming in, so they certainly wont put in steps to increase the number of illegals being returned to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

That’s mad Leo…if only there was someone in a position to…actually do something about this???

WTF is going on, genuinely, how the hell are they allowing this to continue

Send back those asylum seekers who have claimed there and likely failed if not , just deport them self or assisted return to the home country .I thought that was obvious .You do ask some dumb questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Who doesn't want controlled immigration though?

I don't know how many times we have to be treated to yet another "I just want controlled migration" as if this were some amazing revolutionary concept that is entirely at odds with some faceless majority of the so-called left who appear to want immigration to be entirely uncontrolled. It's a nonsense narrative where you're shaking your fist at phantoms.

Pretty much everyone wants controlled migration, your objection is that some have different views over the extent to and the means by which that control is exercised.

So we get it — you are absolutely not a racist and all you want is controlled migration. That's great. But maybe you also need to de-escalate your views of the "other side" as being advocates of uncontrolled migration — wouldn't that be fair?

I can't imagine the UK will be in such a hurry to take them back given their attitudes to IPAs.

Besides won't they just walk back across the border if they want?

After that how do we deport them to the home country if we don't know where it is, or that home country won't assist?

Other countries with a harder approach to border control struggle to deport between 60 and 80 per cent of asylum seekers. Why do you think we'll be any more successful?

Apologies if it's dumb to ask why we wouldn't face the same obstacles other countries already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Reduce money from overseas aid budget for any country not accepting back asylum seekers. Should also make it harder for legal migration from any country refusing to take back citizens.

Failing that, make it clear to the asylum seeker that they'll get nothing in Ireland and pull funding from any group aiding illegal asylum seekers.

It's been done, both the US and EU have already linked overseas aid to accepting deportees, to what looks like little success. Plus you still have to know where the person is actually from. I think the link has also been made with accepting legal migration.

I'd guess what happens in a lot of cases is that countries in the global south wouldn't have the same record keeping systems around issuing passports and births and deaths. So if they can't be sure the person being deported is definitely from that country they won't be in a hurry to accept.

As for getting nothing as a deterrent, how far are you willing to go with that? Australia sent people to absolutely horrific conditions in offshore camps and people still kept arriving. Thankfully it seems they've now abandoned a lot of those policies. I'd imagine the fact that we have the second highest GDP per capita in the world is going to attract people here in the hope they or their children will be accepted at some point.

I think what will happen eventually is that passenger air/sea travel will become more intergrated and passengers will become a line on a manifest, similar to US border control.

People wont be able to travel to first world countries without their ID and country of origin beind identified and established, pre-departure.

Shared database reconciles all passenger travel and country of origin declaration is pre-requisite to boarding at ports.

If anyone loses passport details they can then still be returned to country of origin.

Its not something I hope to see, but I expect it will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Its not something I hope to see, but I expect it will happen.

What solution would you prefer to see?

Advertisement