Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hoooooooooo boy if ever there was a loaded term in western politics it's when people affecting concern use the term "traditional family [values]" ... cos we all know what that's a secret code for and who O'DOnnell's talking about - but are too damn chickenshít to own their bigotry out loud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I saw that on twitter and was going to ask him why is he siding with the bad guys until twitter did it's usual refresh so you lose the post you are interested in.

Just can't have any respect for someone that aligns themselves with what they stand for. Supposedly standing for family values but with the party that effectively banned IVF for thousands of women.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah there’s no good faith reading of openly aligning yourself with Trump and the Republicans: we all know exactly what they stand for, even if there are ‘degrees’ to which they’ll openly admit it.

And that’s not letting the useless, miserable Democrat / Biden administration off the hook: partisan US politics is in a death spiral in general. But yeah, no matter how much they go on about ‘family values’ it’s just the politics of hate, spite and resentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Controversial, but I never liked the Halo music. There's something cold about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Looks like Yuzu rolled over. Probably told by their lawyers, quite accurately, that Nintendo would never stop coming after them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d say the fact they were raking it in from Patreon killed it for them, unfortunately. It’s a different case when there’s monetisation involved. Though no doubt Nintendo would’ve gone after them anyway somewhere down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

He's going to get support from the gaming community who'll start calling themselves "Spartans". The irony of this given that the Spartans were originally created to keep Big Government in power will be lost on them.

No doubt it will be branched and continue under a different name.

Looks like Citra has been nuked now as well as Yuzu, all files from the GitHub have been removed and EmuDeck are removing it and Yuzu from their emulator packages for Steamdeck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Definitely need to know more about this Highwater.. Actually, looks like it released almost a year ago exclusive to Netflix games and now releasing on PS and Steam in March. Has xcom like combat, wonder if the mobile version is any good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The source code is out there at least and distributed so they will be picked up by other Devs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I restored my netflix account recently; I really should take a look at their game collection again. Still think it's a bizarre avenue they're exploring and prone to just disappearing in the morning, but there's quite the growing list of little gems in there

It's games like this and Spirtfarer which make you realise why the money in gaming is with mobile. You can imagine playing Dave the Diver on mobile one day.

Casual gaming like this on your phone when you have some spare time (public transport, lunch break, at home on the couch etc) versus the shyte show of AAA and maintaining/upgrading a PC, investing in a console ecosystem. You can see why the majority of people opt for mobile gaming.

Netflix is a real dark horse. Maybe not even a dark horse anymore and more like in the game killing it. Xbox would kill to have a mobile game pass as good as this. None of this streaming nonsense with latency and tiny text you can't read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I like that Netflix is taking its time. It's finding stuff that works not just shoehorning a list of old games into the subscription. They have talked about getting more into the HD space but I'd say got put off by the Stadia fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm one of the few so who just can't take to mobile gaming because why would I want to play it on a tiny screen when I've a 55" OLED at home. Part of the reason I don't have a Switch either. Hopefully the Switch 2 will come in a docked only 60fps version this time. There's a grand back catalogue waiting for that. But I just can't warm, even in the slightest, to gaming on my phone.

You can play switch on an OLED?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well, it comes with an OLED screen so yes? But I'm waiting until I don't have to pay a premium for a screen I'll never use. I just want docked only, 60fps. Not much to ask in 2024 in fairness. But I'm sure the excuses will come for our Overlords Nintendo, and I don't want to start another Nintendo are better/different/blah/blah/blah. They're probably the worst of the 3, they just get away with it because they also produce good games. Unless the Switch 2 is a mind blowing piece of kit (recent reports are less powerful than a Series S?) I won't be getting one unless there's a docked only version and games run at 60fps, so they will be playable on my OLED. But that also doesn't guarantee it would be its best while docked, because they have to sell the screen now don't they... It's like MS and their Series, one held back by the other, a docked only Switch would be held back by the normal Switch because docked can't look better than it's selling point.

I'd even go so far as to say I'd prefer if Nintendo got back to keeping their mobile and docked separate, go back to having a handheld and a normal console. I'd buy the normal one, at least then it may come with the expectation of not having to suit a mobile platform.

Lol.

WB are getting out of AAA due to volatility to focus on even more volatile markets.

• Advertisement

Their single player Harry Potter game was the best selling game of the year.

Their live service Suicide Squad game was a catastrophic flop.

Their learnings: more live service games.

(I do think companies need to start stepping away from an ‘everything AAA’ model, but ‘everything live service’ is solving the wrong problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

The console is not particularly expensive, it's not really worth avoiding just because it has a screen. I say this as someone who pretty much only uses my switch in docked mode, except for occasionally taking it with me on holiday. Docked does look better than undocked already, because it can draw more power when plugged in so runs at a higher clock speed which games can take advantage of. There is no real reason for them to hold back docked mode to market their screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just, you know, don't take it out of the dock?

You're reasoning doesn't add up. It's grand to just say it's not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Considering the Switch is currently the third best selling console of all time (behind PS2 and DS), I think Nintendo will be sticking with a hybrid for the time being. You'd imagine they also like not having to split development resources between a handheld and a home system.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It really is stupid. The worst part too is that they have a mountain of great licences and IPs that will now be relegated to even more live service and mobile crud. And now they're just going to put less effort into them to reduce costs and risk.

That presumably is the nub of it: Potter sold like hotcakes but was costly to make, market etc; live service shovelware can be cheap and allow for rolling revenue. It's worth noting though that WB are a total shítshow and any suggestions of competence is purely coincidental.

Whatever happened all those threats of legislation banning loot boxes and, ahem, "surprise mechanics". Felt like it all went as far as various governments then just ... disappeared.

Lobbying by the videogame sector. Some countries had the balls to ban it but gambling makes so much tax revenue in the UK and Ireland as do loot boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

WB being the worst game devs/publishers of them all?? I'm shocked! Shocked i tell ya ..... I'm not that shocked. It's crazy how little they actually care about games or films for that matter. They wouldn't even put Bat Woman on their streaming service, instead deleting it forever and now Coyote vs Acme for the same reason to get a tax break. They couldn't give a **** about art. Still fuming they patented the nemesis system and did nothing with it.

• Advertisement

WB and Take 2 are having a competition for worst publisher.

Advertisement