Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

A team that win the Tailteann is winning a comp for the bottom half of teams in the country, from team 16 down. Look at the placings of Westmeath & Meath who have won it.

Another poster has already answered re Armagh above.

Last year we had a lot of posters with delusions of grandeur expecting us to beat Armagh and I was derided by some for giving the realistic view which turned out to be correct.

I do respect our players but watching them it’s easy to see we are short in key areas.

It’s even simple little coaching points like the passing tonight. I lost count of how many times a ball was played behind a player where a ball into the ample space in front of him would have allowed us to counter attack alot more effectively. Instead the player had to double back on themselves to collect a ball from behind them.

It was clear before the game Meath we’re going to have an effective man marker on Paddy so the players should have seen early he was not getting any change out of him and started running the ball.

The big positive is we didn’t lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

I think Oisin Kiernan is a big loss. Seems to be best kick passer in squad. The ball been kicked in last night was awful. Thought harsh taking of Oisin Brady. Didn't get a chance to make a mistake.

He had at least one bad wide, did he possibly have two? I find it at times difficult to tell him & Gerry Smith apart from afar.

Gerry had some poor wides too. Second half he got lucky that one got recycled into a score.

Niall Carolan got lucky that the keeper touched that fisted ball of his over the bar. Had he just let it go into the net without touching it, it was no score.

All in all, the worrying aspect is that we are still relying on the old heads and they are not getting any younger. That good crop of U21s from 2015 are all 30 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

I thought Carolan was excellent. His tackling and carrying brilliant. Looks like the pick of young lads coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Cian Reilly and Tiarnan Madden from that U20’s team too, thought they were both very good when they came on for the second half, would start both, Holla more effective when moved to half back in second half. Agree that Oisin Kiernan is a big loss, great inside passer but always good for a point or two as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 TheGadfly

Just watching Monaghan here; as bad as we were in that first half last night, I think we've nothing to fear.

Anyone who attended last evenings game will understand how poor we were in that first half however there are plenty of positives to take, not so much from the game itself but in general-

1. After 5 games we have a chance at promotion. (I think 100% of Cavan folk would have took that at the start of the year.)

2. Some of our lads are playing out of their skins. Just 2 examples are Jason McLoughlin and Gerard Smith. Absolutely fantastic so far. There are plenty of other lads performing.

3. We were worried about our keepers (apart from Raymond) not getting game time under previous management. That hasn't manifested into a problem. O'Rourke was outstanding lastnight.

4. Our more experienced lads are performing well. Very consistent.

5. New management are adapting in front of out eyes. I'm no expert but some naive stuff tactically in the first half of games has largely been addressed at half time by management.

6. Having been out on the field after the games it's clear to see how much it means to the players. (Win or lose) Some very disappointed faces lastnight but positivity all around the group.

7. A serious game with a lot at stake to test ourselves next time against Armagh. Ideal preparation for Monaghan in Championship. It's not the be all and end all either but a good performance needed.

8. Sam Maguire football coming this Summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I thought that was a poor and disappointing performance by Cavan yesterday. We were just so off it in the first half, no bit of intensity to our play which is needed to break down 15 men behind the ball (Colm wasn't long changing his tactics from the rubbish he used to talk on TV about the modern game!). The big concern is our forward play. We conceded 11 scores which is good enough going but we only hit 11 ourselves, created no goal chances. Oisin Brady was poor again, he lost numerous contests for balls he was 60:40 to win and nothing stuck. He was taken off after 20 minutes and Caomhin O Reilly went in and he was just as poor. We have a big big problem in our FF line, a one man forward team is easy to stop scoring as Meath showed yesterday. I thought Rehill was coming into it after a poor enough start and Ryan Brady didn't do enough for me. Aside from that our shooting was atrocious when compared to say the Kildare game when we had a high percentage of scores from shots. Thankfully our backs were excellent for the most part.

In the end the rescue of the game came down to Holla, Gerry, Jayo and Carolan running hard at Meath from half back, moving the ball quickly through the hands. I thought Tiernan Madden did well bar two horrible turn overs. We badly need McVeety back and Oisin Kiernan. Can a fully fit Conor Brady add something to the team?

Overall we were fortunate to get a draw, the two goals Meath missed were a huge let off and the point they missed at the end was a really poor effort. Yet we could have nicked it but while we had a barnstorming finish a bit of composure deserted us with Gerry surely should have punched a point to win it and Holla took a mad shot off his left. The only mitigation for a lot of t he shooting and mistakes is that the ball looked wet and slippy throughout.

I don't buy this idea that we should not try to go up. Look at the age profile of our main players, when exactly are we waiting for - when they are all retired? A season in Div1 means we get 2 years of certain all ireland football. We should go to Armagh and throw the kitchen sink at them and see where it brings us, despite dropping a point yesterday promotion is still in our own hands.

Oh and it will be now 60 years since Meath won in Breffni Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Fully agree with all of that myles.

Gerry was outstanding yesterday but that final effort was disappointing. Holla's equally so. That said, they were out on their feet after taking the fight to Meath. Holla hasn't been playing well but just forced himself into the game yesterday through sheer will.

Ray's subs have been excellent in the main but you'd question how James Smith was left on yesterday and Oisin taken off. Oisin Kiernan isn't strong enough on the ball at this level. Ryan Brady is the same, which is very surprising given how good he looks at Club Championship level.

If Conor Brady is fit to be on the bench why was he not able to be introduced? I thought Rehill was doing fine and was unlucky to be taken off.

Faulkner was just exceptional too at stages. He has a new lease of life after coming out of the full back line.

Full forward line is a big worry. Apart from Lynch, all other candidates are turning in terrible performances week after week. Surely Cormac Reilly has to be in line for a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Holla got into the game after he went to half back in the second half, he’s better there than half forward. James Smith came into in the second half too and kicked two vital points. FF line is a concern, no one putting their hand up but coming round to favouring Ryan O Neil as at least the ball sticks when it goes into him, would like to see Oisin Brady playing off him.

• Advertisement

Will GAA Go reduce the price of the game or will it always be €12?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭macdonagh2007

Were Darragh McVeety or Oisin Kiernan involved pre match drills on Saturday evening. The boys from WAC have never asked Raymond for an update re their injuries after matches . Both are missed big time .

Well the wearecavan boys seemed to have conceded mic time to a load of Meath people in their "joint" match day diary. **** sake if I wanted to listen to Meath ones for an hour I'd head to Kells. Sunday game barely mentioned we were playing, instead focusing on Meaths kicking game (you have to laugh) They probably should have mentioned Meaths 15 behind the ball at all times Black death defence.

You can easily tell The Sunday Game lads barely watch some of the games. I think Paul Flynn described Paddy Lynch as “excellent” on Saturday night.

The match day diary was very Meath focused alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They didn't even cover the Cavan match the week before.

I think if you pushed them they'd probably give a call out to Gearoid for his high fielding and the lightning pace of Larry Reilly inside! There is very little respect for Cavan nationally. Go over to Armagh and beat them on 16th would make people stand up and take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

We aren't on the media radar at all. Some of that is pure laziness and completely disrespectful (not just to Cavan but to most teams outside division one). Most of that is on the media and some of that is on our historically poor performances. Take 2019 and 2020 out of it we had nothing to crow about. We briefly had a media focus after the Antrim "Corrigan or nowhere" debacle whereby people went "Oh! Cavan aren't that bad" and our typical glorious in defeat against Donegal meant we were reasonably covered during the first novelty Tailteann run.

Most media coverage is based on recency bias. Cork, Kildare and Meath get more coverage than Cavan based on either Tailteann success or All Ireland qualification. That could change this summer if we take a scalp or two, which draw dependant we are more than capable of doing.

Myles- you made me smile there on the media commentary. Not far off at all!!!!

Brilliant points Gadfly. Most of the people I was talking to at half time couldn't see us getting a result, so to have fought back and almost snuck a win is testament to the will to win and drive of the players: Gunner, Holla, Faulkner, Carolan, Gerry Smith, Jason. As you said, special mention to O'Rourke who not only made two brilliant saves, but looks so assured under a high ball and is easily our most "modern" of keepers in that he is more than comfortable bringing the ball out and is pretty press-resistant in how he uses it. That's some bonus.

Loads to improve on. I was out on the pitch afterwards and it was amazing that the game went ahead, but there was so much sand on it I wasn't surprised that both teams kicked scorable efforts wide. What was more disappointing in the first half was the lack of tempo and that we were almost surprised how negative Meath were (kicking team my backside). Handling errors too and hand passes going awry. But second half was much better and on another night Gerry Smith punches that pass over and we do enough to win. Lads absolutely emptied the tank again and that is all you can ask for.

The other thing I was really worried about at the start of his tenure was how Ray would move from being a peer with all these lads to being their manager and being forced to make tough calls. Well, we've seen him give people chances but also if people are not performing, he's not afraid to hook them. Although as noted, James Smith was lucky not to get called ashore at half time but did slightly redeem himself with two scores.

Ray's subs have been key to some of our wins. O'Connell and Rehill against Cork, Cian Reilly and Cormac against Louth.

On the flip side, he needs to make sure he doesn't veer into overreaction territory. He has subbed a sub on a few occasions, James Galligan against Donegal and Caoimhin against Meath. He pulled Oisin Brady after 20 minutes the last day when the entire team was below par. He needs to be careful he doesn't alienate fringe players and knock their confidence.

Oisin for example was poor when he came on against Cork but he was left at it and hit what was essentially the winning score in injury time.

Its a really good point about player confidence. Ray has to be careful there as if Oisin and Caoimhin lose the faith we are in real trouble in our inside line. Hopefully firmer pitches will help their game

• Advertisement

Caoimhin has done okay since he's come back in, quietly contributing. He got seconds against Kildare, so that doesn't really count. He scored 2 against Donegal, Cork and Louth. Six points, mostly from play isn't bad at all. Okay, he didn't have much to show for against Meath but very few forwards did.

Oisin Brady clearly is a talented footballer but his display against Down has clearly meant he is getting plenty of minding in division two. I think he has one against Kildare and one against Cork. I know he came off against Kildare injured so he may be struggling to get to the pace of games.

There's the challenge of management. Keep with the same lads for consistency and to build their confidence and get accused of being conservative, or having favourites. Make too many changes and you risk undermining lads' self-belief.

It's a balancing act but so far he's done well. You could argue Ray was slow to make changes on who was picking up Gallen against Donegal so maybe he's looking to decisive. But you could equally argue that it was harsh on Brady on Saturday given that so many players were underperforming. We'll have to trust that Ray knows how the players will respond not only to being replaced but in what he is asking them to do and how they show up in training.

Yeah he's getting the results and he's getting reactions from players. He clearly has high standards and maybe it's not a bad thing to have lads know they need to deliver or risk getting taken off. He's the man seeing the training sessions etc so we have to trust he knows what he's at. I'm definitely not saying he's done the wrong thing.

I always felt McGleenan really brought criticism on himself from all quarters by being overly zealous with his changes. He kept taking off Caoimhin who was having a brilliant league, it scuppered his development. He really messed about with Madden too. I hope Ray doesn't fall into that trap. The Armagh game will be a big one for Oisin Brady in that respect.

I just listened to wearecavan podcast. Am I not right in saying Conor Rehill started wing back, Brian O Connell Ctr back and Niall Carolan in full back line? Then when Cian Reilly came in Carolan went to Ctr back, Cian to corner back and Brian to wing back. The lads were saying Rehill was at corner back?

I thought Rehill had a poor start but had improved and maybe a bit unlucky to get pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I didn't see that game, but I know the conditions were not good for football. Lynch got 6 points out of the 11. I know he takes the frees, but he is the overall leading scorer after 5 rounds in all the divisions with 0-36. That is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Carloan started wing back and Faulkner went in corner back they switched just before throw in i think number 8 for meath went into full forward line and faulkner went over to him. He didn't stay in though and Carlon went back into corner.

I though Carloan was switched onto the lad that Gunner was marking ininitally and who was giving him lots off problems. I don't think Rehill was in the full back line atall.

I know positions are fluid, but that was how I saw them lining out. Carolan was definitely closer to goal and barely ventured forward in the first half. Absolutely no way Rehill was in the corner. Second half, much like Cork, I felt Holla was central and Carolan at half back. Cian Reilly definitely went to corner back. Like you, I thought Rehill came into the game and handled a lot of ball and probably taken off to allow Carolan to get further up the field and offer more in attack with his pace and ability to punch holes in the opposition defence.

If you could pick 1 of the following scenarios following the Armagh game what would it be? (It's just for arguments sake. I'm not suggesting either will happen.)

1. Beat Armagh, get promoted (providing we beat Fermanagh which is by no means easy) and reach a league final against Donegal.

Or

2. Draw against Armagh, play really well all over the field. Consolidate 3rd place, division 2 football and play in Sam this summer and prepare for the Drumlin Classico?

Not sure if it would be our style of play but am I right in thinking we appear to have a slight issue with playing League matches 3 weekends in a row?

In 2020, I remember WAC particularly pointing out our poor performance vs Clare was because they felt we were playing a 3rd weekend in a row - due to a rescheduled game.

Looking over the dates, it appears our loss to Tipperary in 2022 Div 4 was also our third weekend playing in a row.

You’d hope a two week break now will give lads a good chance to recharge both the bodies and minds.

• Advertisement

I would go for No 1. Winning Ulster this year is extremely difficult. In fact I would go as far as to say that probably not one of the other counties would win Ulster from the draw we have. With that in mind I always believed that 2024 was the year we should focus on the league, get as far away from Div3 and Tailteann Cups as possible so that the team develops playing at a higher level.

Advertisement