Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

USD is really heading towards a disaster yeah, the amount of dollars printed over the last few years and their immense national debt is frightening really. Hard to see things going in a positive direction long-term, a lot of people in the US are struggling majorly these days with the basics (similar in many countries, including our own of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

'Capital flowing out of BTC into alts'.

Hard to imagine, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭antimatterx

When Bitcoin Dominance starts a down trend that indicates liquidity will flow to alts. For the time being it's still in an up trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

As mentioned, people will take their BTC profits and put into alts, speculative but can be rewarding as higher profits can be obtained.

Bitcoin, if it ever reaches 130k would take a long time, that’s 100% profit if you buy today. Whereas some alts could do 100% in a much shorter time, so people tend to take their profits made from bitcoin and gamble on alts.

100% probably isn’t a great example as much less % profits are of course acceptable.

• Advertisement

I'm imagining myself selling my BTC because I think the market is topping, paying 33% CGT on the profits and then buying alts because I think BTC is topping.

Well that was a brief thought experiment. I'll leave that sort of nonsense to others. I'm not sure that the BTC market is the same as the Alt market. Might as well claim money flows out of BTC into AI/Nvidia.

When I say people, I don’t mean like you and I, these are traders, and sometimes they are algorithms on a box. Their only sole purpose is to identify trends and make money, they don’t care what they are trading, if they identify a trend in the market they make a trade with a goal of getting in and out with a profit.

Most, if not all of us on here simply buy what we believe is a decent crypto, hold for a while and sell for hopefully a profit. I’m not aware if anyone is actually a trader on here, some might do market analysis and trade based on that, but it is a tough job and not easy to make money.

But even for you and I the information, such as BTC dominance and other trends is very useful to us, I hold alts as well and will be attempting to exit somewhere near the top, so all info can hold great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Retail investors have only recently (according to the graphs that i've seen) started pouring money in so they wouldn't be up by much so maybe not much profit to redirect into alt coins. This means that a lot of the money pouring into Bitcoin in the last 2 months is coming from ETFs which would not be able to pivot into alt coins easily.

With things being significantly different this time around (ETFs). The fact that we are still very early in the bull market and that Bitcoin isn't halving for another 40ish days means that it is going to be hard to predict how this is going to go. The market top usually arrives months after the Bitcoin halving which would mean 4 months to go but with the way things are going I don't know (😁).

I understand people don't want to go into alt coins because of CGT but not all countries have CGT. Switzerland, where I live, doesn't, meaning that everything I make (if anything) goes straight into my pocket (apart from being taxable as part of my net wealth). Better than the lottery as that is taxed heavily here after the first million 😅

Also, in a tax scenario, if you make 100 profit from BTC you owe the taxman 33. Now if you were to put that 100 into an alt and make more profit you owe more tax but have more profit. If you lose 40 then you only owe the taxman on the 60 profit if in the same fiscal year, so there is a small incentive to use some the taxman’s money to speculate.

Open to correction here, haven’t done the math but seems to make logical sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Money doesn't really flow out of bitcoin into Alts. What happens is the influx of money that thinks they missed the bitcoin boat look for the next bitcoin and flows into Alts pumping them. That's why there is usually a lag before Alt season starts. And that's anyone's guess what will take off. But the money made there should be moved into bitcoin and most of the Alts fade away to nothing.

Likely flow will be a top in the next two - three weeks. Then when the halving happens a nice big drop of almost 30%. A summer of growth and an Novemberish top again that likely will be it for another few years.

Once you hear the taxi driver talking about white papers on a new sure thing Alt sell up. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The ETF’s are tied to bitcoin, you might get an alt rally but trading the limited BTC for anything is very risky. You could also get people trying to front run the eth and Sol etf’s. You know retail are already here when the sh*t coins pump.

Yea, theres some junk being bought out there, even LUNC is up, not really complaining though as I still hold some, I was down 75%, now only down 50%

Bitcoin wicked at 69k, some amount of sell pressure there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Up and down for Bitcoin but it seems to be slowly regaining after the sell pressure. Solana went up as well and seems to be sticking for the moment which is great news for me and people who hold Solana 😁

ETH also at the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Fitting for crypto to have a lot of 69 action...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Up 150% on Lunc, have loads staked so waiting to sell all my rewards in the first pump. Expecting to see it hit somewhere around half a penny, but I'll skim as it rises. Just need to figure out when to unstake as it takes 21 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

this is the gist of it, and is how it's played out before, it's just traders working through the opportunities of profit as they see it;

of course the ETF's are a big factor this time, so it's hard to see as much money making it's way downstream as shown in this chart

but like GrumpyPants says, this'll be offset somewhat by new users coming in, seeing something like Cardano (hopefully 😉) at less than a dollar, and saying "wow, maybe it'll be 70k some day too". how much it'll be offset by, time will tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

also, some places are already saying we're in altcoin season! not saying I agree with this, but it's certainly helps explain why users like antimatterx are taking some profits now;

above from https://www.blockchaincenter.net/en/altcoin-season-index/

Coinbase fucked up and had BTC/EUR down 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jesus that's market manipulation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭endainoz

Decent size correction today, was coming I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

How soon do we wait before buying again. Asking for a friend :-p

Yea, I just hit the unstake now, what makes you think it will rise? I only bought a good while back because back then the community seemed to become active and wanted to revive it, it’s one of my smaller gambles that I wrote off already, would be happy with just 50% down as I thought it was dead.

I'm a realist. Will Crypto be higher in 12 months, almost absolutely. Will it be higher within 3 months or so, I think there's good chance we see a huge flush out.

Yea you could say we got screwed today, will probably take another couple of weeks before we have a shot at ath again.

Rte radio actually mentioned bitcoin earlier, that’s one of the things about ath, it reaches a lot of mainstream media, it’s like free advertisement.

Pullbacks are usually circa 30%, expecting greater than 50% seems a bit excessive

I think it will be on the back of the US entering recession. Aggressive pullback, but short lived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Still holding

Advertisement