Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Is what your saying not more like.. 'Let's spend money and effort locking one door, even if another door is wide open'

Presumably there's some reason that information isn't already collected and passed to immigration in every scenario. What's changing it going to involve, and for what benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Who are we second to? Are we rich because our GDP is completely unrealistic due to the few major MNCs putting huge profits through their Irish operations?

Whats wrong with trying to make it harder for people to get entry to Ireland without ID just because they can cross the border from the North. If they do that they are leaving a safe jurisdiction, not to mention a lot of those arriving into Ireland as a way of getting into the UK

Very much we look rich because our GDP is unrealistic.

But I'm not sure the rest of the world knows how much of a tax-haven we are. We try to hide it.

I don't think people from outside Ireland, and especially from the global south, understand that a country can be so rich on paper yet have such a terrible health service, housing etc.

I've heard anecdotally of people coming on visa schemes and turning around a few months later and leaving when they see what conditions are really like.

After that, the problem I see with making things harder is that generally it costs a lot, is ineffective, and can lead to unintended consequences such as increased dependance on trafficking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd imagine a lot would leave at that point and go to whatever hopeless country replaces us. I don't think us being rich plays a huge part here, otherwise Switzerland, Norway etc would also be getting hammered. They come here cos they know we're soft and they won't have to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Augme

I mean to countries they aren't citizens of. I've no link as I don't think it has even happened.

• Advertisement

Norway currently gets less asylum seekers than us, but previously a lot more. Switzerland gets a lot more.

If you don't think our (perceived) wealth plays such a factor, why do you think numbers decreased so drastically after the crash? Bearing in mind supports stayed broadly the same.

After that, do you think we should change our policies based on your imagining people will simply go elsewhere? That hasn't happened in other countries such as Australia and the US despite them taking quite extreme deterrent actions. And we'd be left with the risks of increased incentives towards crime and a shadow economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, it's a fallacy to think you can make the refugee situation go away by simply passing new laws - most genuine asylum seekers are pretty desperate and are not even bothered by things like border control or passports, so it's not going to impact their movement at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭engineerws

What you said is blatant racism. I'm all for free speech but really sad to see your sentiments expressed so openly on an Irish forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Anyone who has travelled the world will know that it is not racist. You obviously haven't a clue and are just listening to what you're being told by RTE etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

They are just returned by the airlines to the place of departure.

• Advertisement

I'd point to the amount we had coming up to 2004 and it dropped massively after we abolished birthright citizenship. We didn't get poorer in 2004 but immigration dropped massively after that decision. They were coming here as we were a lot softer than any other EU country, and we've returned to being that. They know they won't be moved on and even if they're given a deportation notice, they'll likely still be allowed to stay.

The only thing that will change it imo is if they realise they're unwelcome here.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Yes Shur do nothing it will be grand is it not great so many want to come here I am flattered .

This gives a bit of a humorous perspective on the migrant crime scaremongering. Interesting line from the host "Criminals exist in every demographic. Of course they exist amongst migrants too." Some people here are very quick to forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No one has forgotten that, no more than anyone has said "all migrants are criminals" - let's be clear about these things!

However, allowing and indeed actively encouraging (as Roderic and the Government have done) ANYONE to come try their luck increases the level of risk - especially when those individuals arrive with fake or no documentation at all, or under false pretenses (claiming asylum but in reality an economic migrant). We have no way to determine what other laws or rules they might feel fine about breaking.

Better we just have an effective border control, where those who are verified as legitinate are allowed entry (whether it be to work or for refuge - but always within sustaintable numbers), where those who we're unsure about are held (or free to leave again) until we can verify their story, and where those whose details don't add up or are found to pose verified risk are rejected outright.

That's all that's needed really and it's entirely within our rights and capability if the will was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

I see Leo is softening up the Ukrainians this evening.

Said the higher rate of social welfare payments still being given to ones in accomodation is now also "unsustainable"

If only he was in power to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The internal polling numbers for the referendum and upcoming elections must really not be good!

Yup, I'm taking anything they say this year as them covering for themselves and there's no intention of bringing it in. Actions mean more than words at this stage and I'd probably check the sky if Varadkar said it was blue

The Tanaiste was on RTE Radio this morning. He makes the valid point that far more refugees and asylum seekers are on the move than 10 or 20 years ago. It's not that international refugee laws have become more lax or something, but that the world has become more unstable thanks to events like regional wars and global warming : add cheap air travel into the mix and one can see why so many people are suddenly looking for asylum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

That may be true but that avoids the elephant in the room as to why little Ireland is taking more per capita than anywhere else. Incentives I hear you say! Who needs to work for a wage when you can be gifted it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Might explain the numbers that come here. Doesn’t explain why our so called immigration policies are not working. We can’t buy every hotel in the country you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

He can get to feck. There was cheap air travel and plenty of conflicts when the country went bankrupt in 2008 and for the subsequent years after.

Very interesting how we only had a fraction of what we are seeing now, remember with all the millions crossing Europe after nana Merkel, we nearly had to fly in our own allotment of Syrians as none wanted here, it was all Germany and Sweden.

I wonder what areas Ireland still had the significant cuts in during those years, compared to those two? Would it be no social housing to be handed out and under 25s only getting €100 a week at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭engineerws

Yes, we should not be accepting these people who are so removed from us culturally and educationally that they will never offer anything to our society apart from taking a few more euro from your pocket.

I worked with a Nigerian fellow in IBM, damastown on the as400 servers. There was another African chap there too who was excellent as I recall.

That's two examples. You've dismissed all Africans as uneducated spongers and have been applauded for it here. You and your supporters are culturally removed from me. Your 'culture' sounds more like pure bigotry to me.

I mean 20 years ago, Iraq and Afghanistan were being bombed to bits, Israel and Palestine was still an issue, Africa was still going through various famines and issues (Darfur etc started back then). Only real missing one is war in Europe but go back a bit further and you had the Yugoslavian war in the 90s which was atrocious and I can't imagine Ukraine and Russia are going as low as that went. Can add in items like Rwanda, Iraq again etc.

Main point is Martin's point is a load of shite

When are we setting up the border posts along the Northern Border so?

And what do we do we those we can't send back, indefinite detention?

Everybody seeking asylum in Ireland is fingerprinted and their records can be checked by Ags. Do you want people coming in to not declare so they so we lose that capability?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Is Feidir Linn.

(Then we can just build more or something).

That's simply not true. Here's the evidence (we're not even in the top 10 in this chart):

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'd imagine those two lads were educated with high value skills that will contribute to the betterment of this country. Not very fair to compare them to sketchy ipa's.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Ah yes, Millionaire Micheál taking his usual moment to pontificate to the peons who obviously just don’t understand our “International (and indeed moral!) obligations”

- the Irish public have no humanity clearly, why can’t we all just be like Micheál with his three gaffs and get it through our heads other random people from who knows where should be housed instead

I think Martin actually pisses me off more than Leo tbh. At least with Leo he’s a bit of a snake but you also get the impression he knows he’s a bit of snake. With Martin its pure finger wagging, paternalistic, múinteoir moralising. “I know what’s best, you’re all too thick to understand”. There’s a smarmy self-righteousness about him that really rubs me up the wrong way. He’s honest yes, I won’t take that from him, I do believe he is doing what he thinks is best.

But he’s totally out of touch from the reality of the lives of his people, being a propertied millionaire more interested in grandstanding to his peers in Brussels than the needs and concerns of Ireland.

Where were was all his moralism when we’d the Chinese premier here? A country actively committing genocide and numerous atrocities and human rights abuses every day and he didn’t say ****. Spineless hypocrisy.

Advertisement