Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

70 year old house renovation

Options
  • 03-03-2024 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

There is a house in Dublin that was likely built in the 1950s and we are very interested in living in this area.

Considering the house is around 70 years old we are wondering what problems we could expect and what work we are likely to have to carry out. Any insights would be appreciated as we are complete novices at this, thanks.

It has had a fresh paint job and new carpets inside and we couldn't see much else inside other than what was visible looked old so there probably wasn't much work done over the years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I’d be surprised if that was built in 1950s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Kalimah

That looks very similar to my in-laws house in Churchtown - built 1953. That looks like the original front door too! Probably would need rewiring if it hasn't been done already, and from what I remember of the in-laws house there was very little insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Likely need to re-plumb, especially if it has gun barrel pipes.

Potential rewire.

New windows and doors.

Then need to consider insulation from top to bottom.

That is your basics before you can look to modernise from an aesthetic perspective.

Paint job and carpets done at minimal cost to get max price for it. Need to see past this.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

It's in Raheny. A lot of similar houses around there.

• Advertisement

Next step is getting an idea on prices.

I'm concerned about the structure / blocks and possibly the roof and what are the things that a pre sale surveyor check won't find that can result in a pricy repair required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

There's literally thousands of those houses in Dublin, all being lived in without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

probably built far better than many new houses today. Solid and strong .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Look at what work the neighbours have done. New windows are obvious.

Structurally, and assuming there aren't existing problems and that any future problems are dealt with, the blocks and bricks are probably good for another 100 years or more. However, insulation-wise they are likely a disaster and any such house likely needs a huge insulation upgrade.

Assuming there is no rising or penetrating damp, the foundations and floor are likely to be OK. Insulation and damp issues may arise if your ground floor is timber.

The upper floor risks having sagging, but could be augmented at reasonable cost.

The roof is likely in need of insulation. It should be thoroughly inspected for leaks. There is a risk the roof felt is life expired and that there might be cracked or loose tiles. It is possible that the roof structure needs modest augmentation, but that is likely cheap.

The garage will be too small for a car, but adding a bin / bike store could mean it would be converted to an extra room. The flat roof may be problematic.

The driveway looks as if it needs work.

There WILL be problems, but not necessarily fatal. Any alterations will cost money and depending how well built the house is, it may need work that would otherwise be unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

Insulating that size of house if you do it yourself would cost shy of €8K, but if you have to get trades to do it then expect at least €20K. Lots of wet trades involved which are skilled and hard to source tradesmen. If you want decent triple glazing and aim for airtightness then you should be looking at active ventilation retrofit which needs to be designed in at the insulation stage. Minimum cost for that side of things will be €30K.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In that case, I’m surprised. (As I said I would be 😉).

FWIW, It was the style of garage I thought have been later. Must have been a more cars around Raheney in the 50s than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

House definitely done up to sell. Always worries me what the new flooring and paint are hiding.

Saying that looking at the internal pictures the previous owners did some maintenance over the years with GFCH, new windows but probably need replacing now.

They definitely did some work on the electrics but I wouldn’t say they are up to todays standards based on positions of sockets this is my favourite

Overall it looks a solid house with potential.

Appreciate the response, will take it all on board.

Estate agent said offers are up to €580k now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭monseiur

Kitchen is tiny, if you buy open say 5' wide arch in wall between existing dining room and second reception room. Close off existing door to second reception room. Convert dining room to kitchen and the second reception room will be your new dining room. Use current kitchen as a utility room.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

A fine house, I live in similar myself that I’ve redone and like many houses in the burbs both north and south side. Roof and walls as good as any structure you’ll fine, and better than most. You could probably move in and live away happily for a few years although I’m sure it has a terrible BER. As previously mentioned, cosmetic paint and carpets are just that, if you want to tackle fundamentals you’re as well off with a wreck as something that looks ok. What you will do depends on budget.

Hard to know what’s done or not done. Chances are it needs a rewire, a replumb, and full insulation walls and attic. New boiler although I think you said gfch? Budget constraints and level of work internally may lend to either dryline or external insulation. Windows are older generation pvc but might be good for another 10 years if they’re all in decent condition.

Planning needed to convert the garage to a habitable space. If like mine it may be the ceiling in the garage may be a bit low, especially if insulating the ceiling and raising the floor, but still get away with it. Attic conversion also an option, or if loaded you can extend out over the garage. All require PP and major moolah.

Advertisement