Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25% of Children starting school in the UK not toilet trained

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

My local used to have a sign in the gents = '' Our aim is a clean loo, your aim will help too ''.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Cut social workers, universal credit and any kind of social supports to the bone and leave people adrift, this is what you’ll get.

Effers will probably be voted in again because ‘oh, that Keir said something…’ or some other nonsense.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I agree that it's not pleasant changing an older child's nappy. I've suffered through it with other people's children, but not my own.

I trained mine out of nappies at 20months, with no issues at all.

Seems to me like it would be so much harder to train an older child who has been comfortable for too long pooping in their pants.

If they can walk, and understand simple words, then they can bring themselves to the bathroom to go toilet way before school going age (that is, if they have no development issues of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The UK is going down the toilet.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's a bit more to obesity than that.

We've built a car-centric culture here over recent decades, and removed many of the opportunities for daily exercise. It's too dangerous for kids to walk or cycle to school, what with all the oversized-SUVs trying to drive into the actual classroom or as close as they can possibly get, parking on any footpath, cycle lane or spot of tarmac that suits them, so we put our little darlings into our oversized- SUV and drive them to school instead, with obligatory tablet for each child to entertain them on the journey of course.

We've scared girls off the road, with less that one pupil cycling in each secondary school on average. More teenage girls drive themselves to school than cycle to school.

We bombard our kids with cool adverts for crap foods, with a quick health warning at the end, and wonder why they want McDs and Dominos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Hang on, the way they present the results is really weird. Read the legend carefully:

So the dark bar is saying that teachers report that 24% of the kids aren't toilet trained.

Bu the light bar is saying that only 21% of parents think that their kids should be able able to use the toilet. Which would mean that a whopping 79% of them think their kids should not be toilet trained when they start.

So the two bars are measuring opposite things. And the results don't corollate at all. As the data is presented here, parents are actually massively underestimating their children's toilet abilities.

I'm not sure this survey can be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd interpret that lighter bar differently - to me it reads like only 21% of parents think that a child 'should be' toilet trained by the time they start school, not about whether they actually are toilet trained or not.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The ECCE here is a great programme and a really good step in preparing kids for school.

• Yeah I have to say the whole thing is very weirdly written and very confusing almost.

Like you said they almost seem to be at times asking two vastly different questions to teachers as they are to parents yet they frame the result as if it’s the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

But why are some children not fat then?

Some households are buying 4 or 5 take aways a week now. And snacks are chocolate and sweets.

• Advertisement

Why do some people who smoke live to their nineties and never get lung cancer?

• Ah would you stop with the lies and rubbish.

Honestly you must get out of bed in the morning just to makeup rubbish about motorists.

So you really think childhood obesity is caused in major part because kids don’t walk to school as much these days? Have you any actual evidence of that by the way because I’d easily say 50% or more of pupils in our local primary school walk to school in any weather and a a smaller percentage will only travel by car in wet/windy weather.

Anyway that aside you’re talking one part of their day and ignoring the vast amount of physical exercise in school (yard time, PE etc)

I have no argument with the rest of your post, absolutely the food they eat and the habits (too much TV/ipad/phone) are a significant problem.

Sometimes it might be worthwhile to look beyond the person posting and focus on the actual issue.

From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4687066/

Children who walked to and from school were less likely to be overweight or obese than those who used vehicles (AOR = 0.5; 95%CI: 0.3–0.6; p < 0.001). Those who used private cars or school buses were more likely to be overweight or obese than those who used public transport (AOR = 2.9; 95%CI: 0.2–0.7; p < 0.05).

From https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(22)00047-X/fulltext

Lower levels of physical activity and increasing sedentary behaviours throughout childhood in all children contribute to obesity development.49 In most countries, children and adolescents are not sufficiently active due to the loss of public recreation space, the increase in motorised transport and decrease in active transport (eg, cycling, walking, public transport), perceptions of lack of safety in local neighbourhoods leading to less active behaviour, as well as an increase in passive entertainment.39,  49

Nutritionist Dr Clare Corish said exercise was a vital tool in combatting obesity but parents tended to drive children to school. "They are afraid to let their children out to walk."Primary school children needed 30 minutes of exercise a day but this was not happening.

Is this really not patently obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Oh I agree entirely .

I was just saying we were generally younger starting so hence the' odd accident'.

Some of the parents who allow this to continue with children rising or already 5 would not care if their kids went to school or not .That's the problem .

Others need education and support and the thought that their children will not be either in school or creche if they don't get a grip .

No teacher should have to cope with 30+ kids and some in nappies/ training pants at 4 year seven except those with Specual Needs . And that's why they have SNAs .

Does it really happen in Ireland much now though ?

The study is UK based .

Irish children are older by 6 months at least and as yousay correctly are not accepted in the big room in creches or preschools if not trained for the most part .

• Right but you are taking one detail from that and focusing on it as the major problem.

Okay less kids are walking to school and are going either by bus or walking if feasible. However it also clearly states kids are not getting the same level of outdoor recreation we would have in our time.

When I came home from school (if I even went home directly after) I’d be back out again within the hour. I think it’s safe to say you and a lot of people reading this can say the same. Didn’t matter about the weather either, sure we have coats.

Kids are definitely not out as much as they used to be generally due to safety concerns and whatever else but a walk to or from school everyday if you’re going to spend the rest of the day eating high calorie foods and drinks while sitting on the iPad is not the straw that breaks the camels back.

If you have a fairly hefty walk to school I suppose you might maintain a healthy weight. But it’s madness to suggest obesity is primarily caused (and I believe I used the word primarily earlier as well) by being driven to school.

It’s absolutely bananas tbh. Also I’m 29 and I definitely remember most kids were driven to school when I went. So it’s hardly a new phenomenon kids being driven to school.

I mean if you work a typical 9-5 you are probably dropping kids off on your way to work. I sent our oldest on a bus for the first few years but the school was constantly complaining he was late. Don’t really feel comfortable letting him walk solo (only 8) so we drop him off. Granted their not obese or even close so I suppose he must be some sort of weird child who doesn’t get fat from being driven to school when that’s what happens to the rest.

It’s not that myself and my partner make sure to regulate their intake of junk food and encourage healthy habits regarding exercise and screen time. Must just be something in our water.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If you title it 75 percent starting schoolchildren toilet-trained, it doesn’t read so bad!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A survey on “perceptions” and doesn’t say anymore on it: are kids showing up in diapers, are 1 in 4 kids just pissing themselves in the middle of maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

I dont know how often it happens in Ireland. I suspect its not as prevalent as the UK survey indicates it might be over there.

I know of one incident locally (rural area) where a parent tried to pretend a three year old was old enough to start national school and tried to drop them off....somewhat related as the kid wasnt properly toilet trained....

I was surprised as youd want to be desperate or stupid or some mixture of both to try that as you surely need to provide accurate ID for the kid etc to the national school etc

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

School might have been trying to get their numbers up if it was a rural national school that was in danger of losing a teacher. Friend of mine that had moved to the midlands was under massive pressure by the local priest to send her April child to school at 4 as the school would have tipped the threshold to qualify for an additional teacher! - she didn’t in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

I dont know the ins and outs tbh, I suspect not in this case as it was mentioned to me in a...thats the kind of stuff we have to deal with way by principal🫣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thread about toilet training => Cycling.

Never change Andrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think you are assuming that the people that are answering both questions are the same and are parents of kids who are at the school of the teachers who answered the questions.

There isn't necessarily any correlation between any of the questions, unless every teacher and every parent in the UK was polled.

Advertisement