Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

OTBAM just alluded to Kennan being out for remainder of 6 nations, they didnt categorically say it but definitely dropped a big hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭The Macho Man

If true could be a blessing in disguise, I would say Farrell and co have been great at getting positions covered, even during Sextons time they were giving others a run but the one position neglected was FB. Thats likely down to him being very good and consistently available. If Frawley got the nod for the next two games it would be great for him and Ireland. I would say he's slightly weak under the high ball given his performance v Wales but I would put that down to inconsistency in him being picked in various positions.

He's a tall man but take Lowry, quite small but actually excellent under the high ball cause he's played so much at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

Didn't realise we were going for 5 in a row against England, they really don't have a Plan B, our defence against them has been really good the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's a bit of bad timing for some of the other options. JOB would probably be right in there. I like Frawley, but I'd worry about his relative lack of pace for FB

Hugo Keenan trains as Ireland declare clean bill of health for England clash

Rúaidhrí O'Connor

March 05 2024 01:42 PM

Ireland say they have a clean bill of health ahead of their trip to Twickenham this weekend after the entire squad trained at Abbotstown this morning.

Hugo Keenan, Garry Ringrose, Iain Henderson and Oli Jager took a full part in the session.

Keenan, whose left knee was heavily strapped, missed the win over Wales with a knee injury, while Iain Henderson was ruled out with a toe issue.

Jager missed training last week with a knee injury, while Ringrose has yet to feature in the Six Nations after damaging his shoulder in January.

Andy Farrell names his team on Thursday and the players will need to come through a more physically intense session tomorrow, but scrum coach John Fogarty says all four are available and the availability of both world class backs poses a selection conundrum.

Ringrose faces a huge battle to dislodge RobbIe Henshaw in the outside centre slot, but Keenan would likely come in for Ciarán Frawley if declared fit.

The dilemma then extends to the bench, where Ireland have selected a six/two split of forwards and backs to great effect in the recent games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Frawley covers more positions than Ringrose or Henshaw, but the midfielders are established operators while combination of James Ryan, Ryan Baird and Jack Conan have been excellent off the bench.

“Garry and Hugo, Hendy all trained today, Oli as well,” Fogarty said.

“It’s such an important day for us to be on the field. A healthy squad training today is important for selection and it was great they were all on the field.

“Hugo trained today. Again ,they are on the road to recovery and training on the field today live was important for them.

“We’ll see how they got through the session. We’ve another session tomorrow, which is the most physical session of the week where we’ll properly test our plan and the players so we’ll see how he gets through tomorrow and then Andy will select his side.”

Fogarty was asked about the intensity level of today’s training session.

“It’s full speed, there’s no huge contact in it, it’s kind of a coaching day,” he said.

“Monday is forming a plan, Tuesday we put it on the field and we’ll see the timings of our launch plays and how our defence work and tomorrow we’ll test that.”

Read More Articles

Euro 2025 draw: Ireland to take on England as Girls in Green discover qualifying group fate

International Soccer

‘Very real, it’s gotten very real’ – Tadhg Leader predicts Irish players will be signed by NFL clubs as they extend US stay

GAA

Tony Ward: It’s the era of role reversal, with Ireland offering more ‘beyond kickin’ the s**t out of’ England

Six Nations

Read More Sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

If Keenan is in the team, you'd have to think Frawley goes on the bench. Particularly if we go for the 6-2 split. Even if Ringrose is back, I'd rather not have two just-recovered backs in the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

I wonder do we go with a 5-3 split if Ringrose is fit. I cant see Henshaw,Ringrose or Aki being left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

If both Keenan and Ringrose are fit could Nash miss out to accomodate the 6 2 split?

I know people have previously suggested Ringrose could play 14 and it been discussed previously.

but what about a different left field call...

Could Frawley retain the 15 jersey with Keenan starting on the wing and Ringrose in the 23 jersey?

Obviously Keenan is without doubt the top full back in the country but he started his International career on the Wing playing I think 4 of his first 5 tests on the wings before nailing down the 15 jersey.

Would it be the best solution to get all your best players within the 23?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'd be surprised if it's anything other than a 6-2 with Murray and Ringrose as the two. If Keenan is fit then Frawley misses out entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Obviously Crowley is more than capable of playing the full 80 minutes unless he gets injured.. but if he got a HIA or a hamstring tweak your are very light on cover at 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

If we go 6-2 I'd say it's more likely to be Murray either Murray and Frawley or Murray and Byrne. Either Frawley or Crowley can cover 10, 12 & 15. Keenan can cover cover wing and Bundee covers 13. In a pinch Nash could go to 13 or JGP on a wing.

Not Ideal but it's as good as it gets with a 6-2

• Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If its 6-2 and keenan is fit, i don't see any selection other than Murray / Frawley.

Farrell has always been in favour of the guy in possession of the jersey. Therefore Aki / Henshaw and Frawley on the bench.

I absolutely do not see any world in which Nash is dropped for Ringrose on the wing, i think thats off the wall.

I have a feeling Farrell will go 6/2 with the plan to tire out the English forwards, as they will likely go 5/3 with Care / Smith (or Ford) and IFB on the bench.

will england be brave enough to go Itoje and Martin in the row, with Chessum at 6 and Roots at 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

and if frawley isnt there, probably looking at murray or ringrose to cover 10 which wouldnt be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, if Keenan comes back in Frawley/Murray seems obvious. Keenan just back from a bad knee injury needs coverage, Crowley becomes your 15 backup but who goes to ten? Bringing Ringrose in perhaps allows Henshaw to cover 15 but then you've no ten cover in the slim chance Crowley gets hurt. That's just not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Don't see why Ringrose should walk back in. Henshaw and Frawley have been excellent. Bit it would be very Irish if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

1st time in yonks that I really aren't excited playing England. I probably will watch it. Still haven't watched the match v Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'm hoping for a better performance than the last couple of years. We've let them disrupt us far too much, given how limited they are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You're not excited by watching the most dominant Irish team in history? Would you rather we were worse?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Weirdly it was almost more interesting when we didn't win virtually every match we played.

That said as a child of the 80s and 90s I say enjoy the good times because you never know what's around the corner.

Just the hangover of another failure when it mattered!

I'd rather not be a fan boy, leppin up and down yelling " look at us, we beat Wales"

We're only good when it doesn't really matter. Beating the northern hemispheres teams really doesn't matter. Especially when they all are playing poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

There are some tools around here.

I'm sure your not , but your post sounds like something a bandwagon supporter would say.

Nice problem though isn't it?

I get that point. There was something about the absurd upsets of the 90s that were more enjoyable in a perverse way. But I 100% enjoy this more. The downside is that there is a scope for disappointment that just wasn't there in the 90s, and frankly even the 2000s because we expected failure at some point and when it came it was almost a relief we got it out of the way. Now there is real jeopardy because we expect to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

Not at all. Just tired of the false dawns. It blows. A six nations glosses over the fact that once again we crapped the bed when it matters.

Advertisement