Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helicopter costs

• 05-03-2024 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

How much would it cost to buy maintain ground and insure a helicopter in Ireland today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fairfax

Depends on the model and how deep are your pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭bigroad

If its just for personal use its cheaper to rent one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Just in general terms, a pal has a few bob but he wouldn’t be in the same bracket as JP or anything like that, he was querying it and I wouldn’t have a clue so just asking out of interest really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭bigroad

There is some good costings on youtube if you want to have a look under Robinson r44 ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,081 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...happy days, i can afford 2 of them so....

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Astral Nav

That's like asking how long is a piece of string or is there any difference between a Kia Piquanto or an Audi A8. What type of helicopter (manufacturer, version, age), what type and number of engines (turbine or piston, one or two), area of intended operation? Is he a licenced helicopter pilot or will he need professional crew? How many crew are needed? If it's more than occasional use then it's 2 or 3. Pilots will also require training courses. Add on hangarage and ground handling, deprecation and so on.

A lot of people with frighteningly little knowledge bought helicopters during the Celtic tiger era. A number of crashes and serious incidents occurred including a near mid air in Dublin airport due to some of the clowns who had their hands on them. One very wealthy man and his crew died because his crew didn't want to say no to him when bad weather closed in. Not saying your friend is one of those but you would need way more research than a line or two like you have written. Sorry to be harsh but it's tough love.

Say for argument sake he had his pilot’s license and went for the budget option helicopter

Friend, there is no budget option with helicopters. Also does he know he would have to be rated on the type he purchases or leases. Has he got an instrument rating? Has he got a few weeks spare to do the course and all the recurrency training? Would low experience mean heavy insurance weighting or refusal? Does he need the heli to be capable of IFR flight? Is he aware that almost no helicopter has de icing capability and we get lots of airframe icing in Ireland? 'For the sake of argument he has a heli licence ', don't you know, you're asking the question? Sorry but you're being way too simplistic. Your friend needs some serious research or a consultant.

• Advertisement

Ah I know but I am just throwing it out there in general just so he can get some idea of the costs albeit it’s probably going to be a no but I’d like him to have some sort of general idea of what the costs are, ie ballpark, helicopter 250k pilot training 10k insurance 20k pa fuel 1k per hour, storage/ parking 10k pa maintenance 5k pa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Would you go for a spin with him in this budget option helicopter?

Helicopters can't glide to a landing of some form if the engine goes...OK there's autorotation but that's not the same...

I have no idea of costings but if someone said half a mill to me I'd say "sounds in and around it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

Jaysus, if he can't afford his own internet connection, he definitely can't afford a chopper. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ZMOONY

how much for one of them new electric ones?

• That’s an awful silly cliche statement and shows a real lack of knowledge of how varied aviation costs are.

applying your logic, would you say a syndicate of 5 people with a c172 based in Sligo airport has the same running costs as a Denis O’Brien’s and his gulfstream? Going by your logic if you can’t commit a blank multimillion cheque and dont have the income of a gulfstream then dont even think about a c172? Surely the logical thing to do is enquire (which apparently you shouldn’t do?) where you will find out that a syndicated ownership of a c172 is very attainable to alot of people.

Same logic for a helicopter. Plenty of factor to consider (licence, what type, passengers, where, budget, frequency, what use etc) and you will only get to your answer if you ask questions…..

So maybe cut the op a little slack.

@op it’s clear 95% of posters on here have no idea and can’t add anything helpful. If you and your mate are serious recommendation would be to reach out to correct channels not an avgeek discussion board where users don’t have experience but still want to add unhelpful replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

For pleasure maybe

Not always true for business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Businesses usually least their vehicles. Ireland has a massive aircraft leasing business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

It’s déjà vu, the Celtic tiger all over again!

Thanks I really appreciate your common sense reply here, I was regretting putting up the post as the majority of the replies are from clowns who have nothing better in their lives and resent people who who do well, keyboard warriors, anyway thanks again

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm one of the clowns, thirty years experience in commercial aviation! Free advice to protect a stranger's safety and wallet. Up to you, maybe don't post if you don't want honest answers. If you engaged me as a consultant I'd be sending you a large bill now! Stay well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Never get in a helicopter with someone who's job title isn't "full time helicopter pilot".

Wrong thread. Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

this is not necessarily true, it is becoming more popular

If you have the cash to do it, buying makes more sense

if you don't you take the hit and lease, but it costs

That is why Ryan Air is in the position it is

Advertisement