Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda facing disciplinary hearing for helping elderly man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Shift work, unsocial hours,dealing with drunks, addicts and the general scum of society. Getting looked down on by ordinary people.

Seeing your arrests walk out the door because of an inept justice system.

Getting attacked, getting beaten, being put out on the streets with inadequate equipment.

Wearing a uniform that looks like something like the centre aisle in Lidl.

Doing pointless busy work, paper work and "guarding" policitians houses.

I could go on.

Wouldn't do it if you paid me triple.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Even if it was a valid offence to be disciplined over… 3 fûcking years ? What’s the benefit of that ? To the public, his colleagues or whomever ?

When he comes back after such a lengthy absence I’d imagine he’ll probably need retraining, especially after that length of absence…

very odd, a very odd organisation these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

You don't even get to wear a fancy uniform anymore.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭prunudo

....to know where the best coffee at 4am is, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Not any more it's not.

those joining up in the last decade are on very different terms.

Which shed load of extras?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The rest of us would've been done for theft

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Plutarch

Jobs fucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Most guards never get a hand laid on them , our local guard only works hard in Supermacs , her standard reply to everyone is " what do you want me to do about it"

It's an extremely well paid job relative to the level of education required

There are a small minority of guards who have a deep commitment to doing good, they rarely reach high rank though, the ones who get promoted repeatedly are more like politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

I was someone who did fancy being a guard when I younger applied twice but got no where. My mum did ask recently if I would try again now that the age has increased. It was a No from me as I cant afford the pay cut it would bring.

Like certain civil service jobs their as some in their they will always to the least possible work and get a pension at the end. You do then also have the people with the passion and interest who go over the role and should be rewarded for same.

This story is one of two in the last year or so that make me ask the same question as the OP. The other story was around a guard that was in a high speed chase with a stolen car. The stolen car crashed and if I recall the driver died. They were/are looking at if charges should be brought against the guard for what most would see as his job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Average pay of almost 70k a reason I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

this whole thing sounds like a chief superintendent somewhere got a bee in his hat over something and saw a chance to make this mans life hell...its no wonder nobody wants to be a garda...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's most likely a lot more to the story than what's been printed in the papers. It's like all the videos of the Gardaí hitting out at people that always start just at the point where the Garda does something wrong, where's the rest of the video leading up to the Garda doing something wrong?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i presume this has left him with a case for constructive dismissal now? three years suspension, no chance for promotion or career advancement, and the process has cleared him of wrongdoing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

There is in its arse - it’s not unusual for Gardai to be suspended on full pay for a number of years before being subsequently cleared - it’s a complete waste of taxpayers money for starters coupled with a serious lack of effort on behalf of the investigating team taking that long to come up with zero- he wasn’t even found to have made a minor error - nadda- and it took 3 years .

Hes referred to as having an unblemished record and close to retirement - what way is that to treat someone with such loyal and good service? By all means investigate if you think giving away a bike no one wants merits such an investigation but like 3 years and nothing found?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Bike today, who knows what tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I was in Aldi Parnell Street recently, the staff wear the same uniform top! Black and the hi-viz in exact same style, odd to see them sitting at checkout attired like that.

There’s been a few cases of Gardai caught up in storing drugs/taking evidence of drugs etc through the years- thankfully it’s very small numbers though - I imagine the temptation to make a significant amount of money very quickly is a temptation too far for some people.

I think this story is about drugs evidence that went missing from a gardas locker? A very strange case- will be interesting to hear the outcome- I’m assuming cc tv at the station will reveal something and lead to the capture of the person responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Actually average Garda pay is now €82,348.17 per year.

Gardaí eclipse IT professionals as Ireland’s best paid workers in latest CSO figures

I think it is a shocking waste of taxpayers money for a Gardai to be suspended on full pay for three years before being subsequently cleared - it shows a serious lack of effort on behalf of the investigating team taking that long to come up with zero. As someone else said, he wasn’t even found to have made a minor error - nadda- and it took 3 years .

Soon he will be getting his 18 months tax free "gratuity" and be retiring on big pension.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,099 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I suppose we will never see the report in this case.

I would be interested to know how the process took three years.

Also, if he didn't follow the correct procedure pertaining to property in an AGS station how was he cleared of all wrongdoing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Francis McM

No wonder the world sometimes laughs at us Irish, it took 3 years with a Garda suspended on full pay - costing the state hundreds of thousands- before he was "cleared".

At a governmental level, we could not organize a piss up in a brewery, as the National Childrens hospital, the Dublin metro etc has shown. Yet we can be world class in many other areas eg Ryanair set up as a small Irish airline and now of of Europe's largest.

You would hope so, or this is just plain rediculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Unbelievable conduct by his superior(beings)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

"dealing with drunks, addicts and the general scum of society"

And that's just your colleagues, wait til you have to leave the station........

It needs questions and answers in the Dail to the justice minister - if this is Garda efficiency at its best what hope do we have of solving crimes and day to day policing.

100,000s wasted in taxpayers money on this tripe- and we’re supposed to have faith in the Garda Commissioner? Yeah right

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well yeah, the magnitude is very different but the principle is the same. Theft is a crime, if those supposed to be upholding the law think it's ok for them to do it where are we exactly?

People for years were complaining about how there wasn't any accountability in the Garda, now there is and they're still complaining.

In the interests of justice though they need to progress things quickly and competently which they did not appear to do here.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The National Council for the Blind of Ireland are raiding houses now??

That's something that needs to be closely looked at...

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The whole thing was astonishing.

We want to have guards that are active in the community, that know the people they serve, that go above and beyond are able to do good in a pragmatic way.

This guy had an unblemished record and seems to embody the criteria above, and yet was subject to a three year investigation. It's a total disgrace. Whoever pursued this ridiculous witch hunt should have been investigated and the guard in question should be getting a medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I remember when I was a young lad in late 80s my bike was knicked, I went to report it and the guard said come out here to a back room which was full of bikes. I couldnt spot my one so he said pick another one there and take it with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement