Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How far does an EV really go? On a cold horrible day in winter - several current EVs tested

Options
  • 02-03-2024 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The result isn't surprising, none of them make the official range, not in the least because of the weather and because the driving pattern used is far harsher than used for the WLPT cycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c10Ck84QgEI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Ev fan

Just to add a current example of driving in cold horrible weather- Yesterday morning I drove from Dublin across the M50 up to Sligo. Snow /sleet and a lot of water on the roads- temperature around 2/3 degrees a lot of the way. In a Born 58kWh- started at 100% with 345km on GOM. Got home with total distance travelled of 223km and had 20% battery left showing 65km on the GOM. Difficult driving conditions but still got on fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's actually not bad at all, the weather was as bad as it gets. I can only presume with those results you took it fairly handy, probably didn't go over 100km/h?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Ev fan

Absolutely. Tricky conditions on the M50 and for some of the way on the M4 with snow slush and all the water. Once I got on clearer road approx 30km out of Dublin was able to drive more normally close to speed limits. On motorway I tend to hover around 103km/hr as its fast enough for me once I can get past the lorries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

That video is a pretty damning indictment of the suitability of EVs for serious driving in 2024 considering the current public charging network etc. The test conditions were poor enough but it was hardly a "cold horrible day" by Irish standards. Temperature was 11 degrees C. The test cycle was mixed driving with the max speed being 5 mph below the Irish motorway speed limit

Test included some of the longest range, most aerodynamic and efficient EVs available and yet the best range achieved to breakdown was 300 miles from the Merc EQE, a car that has apparently had a recent price cut in Ireland with it now now being down to "only" 63k.

In reality, nobody with a brain drives their car until it breaks down. Range would obviously have been lower again if there had been more motorway driving and/or driving at the Irish m-way speed limit and/or the temperature was lower. Add some battery degradation after a year or two for a further decrease. Add in annoyances like not charging the battery past 80% and not fast charging too often in an attempt to limit degradation. All these little things add up. Life is hard enough at times without dealing with this nonsense,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For a comparable test, drive petrol and diesel cars in the same situation and see what percentage of their WLTP range or MPG they get.

• Advertisement

No, @BrianD3, those things do not add up. There is virtually no battery degradation in most EVs to make an impact. Roughly 10-15% in 10 years. Who keeps their car that long from new anyway?

WLPT range is only touching on motorway speeds for a few seconds. And only in perfect simulated weather. Real life motorway range or cold weather range is always a lot less, doesn't matter if you have diesel, petrol, hybrid or electric

And yes any experienced EV driver has no problem driving down until there is zero procent. It is easier to estimate in most EVs than in an ICE car. I regularly hit 0% SOC even before I get home.

You charge your EV to 100%, not 80%

The only thing I agree with is that life is hard sometimes 😂 but the pain is eased considerably when you have a car that you can fully charge for €4 - or for free at home from your solar panels - that will never need its drive train serviced and lasts reliably for hundreds of thousands of miles. What a relief compared to dealing with the nonsense of 19th century fossil fuel exploding, cancer causing, climate wrecking combustion cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Also laughing at the notion that almost 500km range is somehow unacceptable. In Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Where the average commute was recently said to be between 20km and 30km.

But sure it allows the anti EV brigade to have a moan.

It used to be 200km was unacceptable. Then main stream EVs got a range of 300km, and that was then unacceptable. Then 500km and as you say, those same people now say that is unacceptable 😂

For many years now, even in continental Europe, you can do a 1000km trip and the EV is not the limiting factor, the human is. The human who needs resting, feeding & watering and the processes on the other end

But hey, most people are luddites, afraid of change. Desperately making up arguments so they can stay living in the past. It works for them for a while but they will eventually get the wake up call...

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭n.d.os

The sooner people realise cars don't need huge batteries and massive range in this country, the better. We live on a tiny Island.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous response I'm afraid. Nice try with the 10-15% degradation over 15 years while failing to mention that the majority of that may well occur over a short number of years. 6 minutes in Bjorn's video below, Tesla Model 3 degradation of 8.2% after 2 or 3 years while many older and smaller battery EVs were far worse than that. if a combustion engine car lost 10% of its range, nobody would notice. With EVs, given the lack of headroom for range reduction and the other factors that affect range and the public charging network, it is an issue.

"Who keeps a car for 15 years". Bingo. We can add that to the list of things that EV owners say to try to deflect criticism. Some people absolutely keep their cars for 15 years (I'm one) And far more people should for financial and environmental reasons.

Driving until 0%, I'm not sure how strongly this correlates with breaking down but either way, it's driving too close to the edge at best and irresponsible at worst. There' a good reason why What Car? did its range tests on a private road.

"never needs its drive train serviced" - yeah well, I suppose if the motor is replaced 13 times in 1.2 million miles (on top of battery replacements) then you're not going to be doing much "servicing" of the drivetrain.

The responses are variations of the same old zealot stuff that I've been hearing for years. Maybe you guys could admit, as one EV owner did in another thread, that people buy new electric cars because they like new cars, not to save money

I think what is happening here is people are still losing sight of the fact that EVs are not a Way Of Life but tools and appliances - that even in 2024 are pretty limited for usage that a bog standard and far cheaper combustion car would take in its stride. Yes you'll save heavily on fuel costs with an EV but if the car isn't suitable for serious driving and is used for average driving or puttering about, you're saving large percentage of a small number having paid out 30, 40, 50k or more for that.

Yeah, I have regularly done long distance trips on the continent in ICE cars. Max length of time I've driven has been 3 hours or ~300km without a break. Generally though it would be more like 2 hours and ~200-250km. All well within the range of most modern EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

On a cold horrible day in winter i dont go far myself.

Ok, this is objectively funny. A car that's done an average of 200,000km a YEAR is somehow indicative of the failure rate of motors and batteries on the average EV.

The headline is hilarious too. "In only 10 years" after the statement that it's done 1.2 million miles ~2 million km.

What's actually surprising is that the car is still going. Don't think you'd find too many ICE cars with that kind of mileage actually still functioning.

Even 300km / 3 hours is well more than is recommended for safety.

Hilarious. Using a very early EV (bad), made by hand (bad) in the USA (bad) by a new startup company (bad) that got a lot of things wrong in the early days. Yet that car has now done over 2 million km and the bits that went wrong were all replaced under warranty free of charge while the owner was enjoying a free courtesy car worth more than his own with free fuel and free tolls and somehow this is used as a bad example? 😂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys don’t feed the troll 😂

”Serious driving” yet the poster goes on about motoring enthusiasts in another thread while saying a Dacia Sandero is a better option.

Yeah, motor enthusiasts he is 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Core6

I would be absolutely delighted if my ICE car had only lost 8% of its range, power or any other measurement after 160,000km (100,000 miles).

The vast majority of modern ICE cars will have major engine failures before they get to 200,000 miles -- and many well before that particularly smaller capacity higher revving turbo engines with complex emissions systems.

Small capacity turbo charged internal combustion engines are the most annoying thing in automotive history. We all knew the game was up when they became mainstream. ICE clutching at straws. Failed technologies like DMF / DPF / EGR / start-stop and so on and so forth as last doomed to fail attempts to hang in there. Not to even mention the horrific failure of an idea that diesel was supposed to be good for us 🙄

• Advertisement

No trolling here and I never claimed to be a motoring enthusiast, just made a comment that Tech bros in performance EVs aren't necessarily either. In general, car enthusiasm is more about the person than the car. Who's more of a car enthusiast, someone with a Mk1 Fiesta that they bring to classic car shows or a tech bro flooring his Model S Plaid so he can post passenger reaction videos on social media until he gets bored of that.

It's absolutely the case that a 17k Dacia Sandero is more usable for doing serious driving in Ireland, in 2024, than any EV. And is far more usable than "affordable" EVs

Driving a car, as many EV owners seem to do, for 10k kms per year, never venturing beyond the M50, celebrating that your battery has only degraded 5% in a year and trading it in after 3 years - that's not serious driving.

You take a base Dacia Sandero, I take a Tesla Model S and we do a day of 800km driving in Ireland. And we'll see who is less tired at the end of that day ;-)

Both cars need one fuel stop for that interestingly...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

More correctly people buy new cars because they like new cars. Applies equally to ICE. No one's buying a 50k car (ICE or EV) to save money.

You go to the bangernomics thread and buy a 2-3k car if you want to spend the least amount of money.

If you don't want to buy an EV don't. Simple as.

Using examples of million mile EV to imply they can't do serious mileage is quite bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

From 1000km down to 800 already 😂

The degradation is real

Again, what do you consider serious driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

more likely that it would be very difficult to do 1000km in a day in Ireland without doubling back on yourself. It's basically Dublin to Galway to Dublin to Galway.

I suppose you could do cork to donegal to athlone.

So you now argue that the person who bought an EV to porter around within the M50 have bought the correct vehicle. The correct fuel choice to suit their driving patterns.

So you’re promoting them now.

Who cares what fuel choice people make. It’s a fuel and the people that get hot and bothered by other people’s choices would appear to be the tech bros here that you talk about.

At least we're getting some honesty now. EVs are being bought because people like them, not because they make financial sense. New combustion cars don't necessarily make sense either but a 17k Dacia makes a whole lot more sense than a new EV costing 40, 50, 60k.

Advising someone to get a banger if they want to save money is another deflection. Bangers have their own limitations and downside that new cars don't have. The choice here isn't between new 40k EVs and 2k bangers.

The comment about the Tesla with its 13 motors - this one car provided useful info on failure rates and on Tesla. If the car did 100k miles in a year and had one replacement motor, that wouldn't say much. Bad luck, a rare failure etc. 13 failures over 1.2 million miles is a different story entirely. 13 motors, 3 battery packs and who knows what else was replaced. Triggers Broom. But but but Teslas are MUCH BETTER now, maybe they are, time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A 17k new car is a cheaper than a 30k car. Regardless of fuel. Bizarre that you have to misrepresent even simple stuff like that...

"...The results show that new diesel cars cover an average of 12,496 miles in each of their first three years.

This is 67% more than new petrol cars which only do an average of 7,490 miles per year.

Pure battery electric cars are driven an average of 9,435 miles per year. Looking at a selection of individual electric models:..."

https://www.racfoundation.org/research/mobility/new-car-mileage

Advertisement