Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

ireland beat the reigning world champions on the way to them defending their title and came within a score of beating NZ in the quarters, they hardly sh!t the bed

the unfortunate truth is that the best overall team rarely wins the rwc, if that were the case then NZ would probably have won every tournament apart from 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Can't understand the negativity about the team. I'm hoping for a triumphant bounceback season. Perfect Slam, Leinster hopefully getting over the hump in the HC and the prospect of brilliant tour to South Africa to reclaim the Raeburn Shield.

Post edited by AbusesToilets on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ireland have won just 15 championships in 129 years.

Until 24 years ago and the arrival of Italy, Ireland were historically the worst and least successful of the northern hemisphere sides. We have been, until relatively recently, a crap rugby nation.

I will never get tired of seeing Ireland winning championships and will never understand people acting like spoiled brats saying it doesn't matter because we didn't win the World Cup.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭dublin49

Well having we come far when posters can feel nonchalant about the achievement of a win over England or a six nation title ,I wont rehearse how it was for us oldies back in the day,but remember golden days come and go,like the demise of the great Liverpool team of 90s or the Dubs back in 70s or Woods abrupt career stall.Anybody blase about the success of the last few years are really offering hostages to fortune ,we live in blessed times,Series win in NZ,multple 6 nations and 2 recent grand slams. My main ambition for 40 years for IRL was a win over the ABs and a Slam,I am losing count now how many times we have beaten NZ and each time is better than the last with 3 Slams for good measure.Maybe us oldies were too starved of success for too long ,but it sure makes it all the sweeter when its our turn,Long may it last.and remember Wales have 4 slams since 2000 ,how would they be feeling if they were in the running for a fifth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

It is funny that there is a mood around that everything is a foregone conclusion with this team. The opposition aren't up to much once France revealed themselves as a farce and Ireland are a machine that's uber efficient with cruel defence and a varied attacking game. I'm not buying it though. England weren't particularly good last year but they were tough enough for us to break down. We lost 3 line outs (maybe more?) against Wales, largely because of Welsh pressure. We are one of the best teams in the world but our scrum is still so so. There are lots of chinks for opposition analysts to get excited about and England always show up for Ireland. I expect us to be too strong for them, our bench is insane etc etc. Still though, this should be the toughest test of the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

This England game is a real banana skin. Back to back Slams would be a major achievement. Hasn't been done in the 6N era and not since France in '98, I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Ireland expecting Twickenham chaos from England as Andy Farrell handed injury boost

Rúaidhrí O'Connor

March 06 2024 02:30 AM

Ireland are expecting Steve Borthwick’s England to make things chaotic when they travel to Twickenham on Saturday.

Andy Farrell will name his team tomorrow and has been handed a boost with Hugo Keenan returning to training yesterday, as Garry Ringrose, Iain Henderson and Oli Jager also took part.

Ireland’s most physical training session of the week will take place this morning, and if Keenan comes through, then the coach will have a major dilemma as to whether to retain the 6/2 bench split of forwards and backs or revert to a 5/3 to accommodate Ringrose and Ciarán Frawley.

No 8 Caelan Doris spoke yesterday about the boost that the team get from the arrival of players like Rónan Kelleher, James Ryan, Ryan Baird and Jack Conan.

Read More

“Just seeing four big specimens coming onto the pitch at the same time, you’re kind of like ‘OK, here we go, here’s another big surge of energy’,” he said.

“It gives you a little lift. It is nice, for the guys coming off, they know that they can give it all for 50-60 minutes, and they’ve got quality coming on. For the guys staying on, you get a lift from them coming on as well.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Scrum coach John Fogarty says Ireland are expecting to be put to the pin of their collars in London, meaning they’ll need to stick to their plans.

“A lot of noise can happen from England, it’s not being derailed mentally by the chaos of Twickenham,” Fogarty said.

“It’s a fantastic stadium to play in, but you derive a huge amount of energy from the crowd; they’re right there on top of you.

“England rise to play at home and it’s an incredibly tough place to go and play. Accuracy in every way is important to us as a group.

“They potentially are thinking we should be in a final of a World Cup and Ireland were out in the quarter-final stage. There’s a lot of power in their side. They won’t be happy with how they’ve gone over the last game or two.

“We are conscious of them delivering a lot of energy, but we’re more focused on us delivering our energy, our mentality, being able to impose our game on them.”

Read More

Read More Articles

‘I basically imprisoned myself as I knew I had to get right,’ says Dublin man on how he beat his drug addiction

Health & Wellbeing

Skip Barcelona for Valencia - and six other swaps to avoid the holiday crowds

World/USA

16 mothers share the single biggest lesson they've learned since having kids

Parenting

Read More Top Stories

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 24,313 ✭✭✭✭phog

I suppose some of the "losing interest" in Ireland wins is that we now expect to win but like others have said I come from an era where winning one game in the 5Ns was an achievement, winning a triple crown was orgasmic and winning the Grand Slam was a pipe dream.

The IRFU were late to professionalism and imho we were lucky with the model they went with, contract players to the 4 natural regions that could grow a fan base and use the 4 regions to field an Irish team. The unwritten rule was probably their best stick to keep players at home. There may be warts in the Irish model but it's certainly paying dividends wrt to national team.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if you work on the basis that no system is perfect, then we have the best club system in the world.

who would have thought in the mid-noughties that the likes of Australia and England would be looking at the irish system with green eyed envy. Even the NZ system is currently creaking at the seams.

as for those who cannot get any joy from irish wins, or see value in us beating out NH opponents on a continuous basis, i feel sorry for you and you inability to enjoy a golden time in our sport. The miserable times will eventually come back, so youll all be happy then, but until those dark days return im going to enjoy every single second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

False dawns?

We lost a game of rugby by a few points. To new Zealand.

6 nations and AI are what pays the bills every year. A world cup semi final won't. And while it would have been nice to make history, sport is a here and now thing for me and I will enjoy now and not worry about 2027 RWC until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So much bad faith discussion is incredible. It's not as if Dubinusa is some whippersnapper who doesn't remember rugby before Joe Schmidt.

Whatever happens, this year's 6N will not go down as a classic. Last year's, probably not either. There is, whether people care to admit it or not, a general feeling of 'so what' about the tournament and not just in Ireland.

It's perfectly normal to enjoy rugby more when there's more at stake, the matches are tight and the outcome goes down to the wire than when the whole thing is a cakewalk. That doesn't make someone miserable, that's just someone who appreciates sport as an exciting competition.

It's hard to believe it's 9 years since the greatest finish to a 6N I've ever seen. I would much rather watch that than potentially wrap up the tournament with a week to spare. That doesn't mean I hate Ireland, or success, or rugby, or sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Disagree with that almost in its entirety.

Over the decades rugby dynasties have risen and fallen, in 5-8 years time we could be in the position of the Welsh or worse , just look at the age profile of our team.

If you can't enjoy our success now then what's the point. We are getting way above our station if winning a world cup is all we should be getting excited about.

That's fine. You can enjoy success more than you enjoy rugby or drama but don't make out like people who prefer the latter are wrong or stupid or miserable or spoilt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

But there's a big difference between not enjoying the win as much as a close win. And saying you dont even watch anymore as Ireland always **** the bed when it matters so why even bother.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I feel like we hear "This 6N won't go down as a classic" basically every single year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭dublin49

The "This years 6 nations is poor " reminds me of George Hooks modes operandi ," Ireland will be found out today" followed post match by " How was I to know that would be the worst England( insert as desired) team ever to lace boots"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What constitutes a "classic" though?

Is it lots of competitive games , regardless of the quality of the rugby on offer with the overall result in question right down to the last minutes of the final game?

I mean you've had multiple games so far this season where the result was in doubt right up to the final whistle , but the quality of Rugby on display in those games was generally speaking , shite. We'll likely have a few more of those before we're finished as well , the remaining fixtures for both Wales and France could all be very tight affairs with the results in question for the entire games.

Ireland vs France last year was a "classic" in my view as it was 2 excellent teams playing at a standard way above anything the other teams could produce , but in truth the result really wasn't in question after about 45/50 minutes.

I heard multiple people describe the Wales vs England game a few weeks ago as "really exciting" but I watched it and thought it was beyond awful because the standard of Rugby was horrible , likewise the England vs. Scotland game , terrible Rugby on display.

That Wales vs England game - A new-comer to watching the sport could have found that really exciting and engaging , but an experienced viewer who played/coached the game would have watched it , appalled at the standard on display.

I guess what I'm saying is that the type of games that excite you are going to be framed by your level of interest and level of knowledge of the game so opinions are going to differ greatly.

Who knows , maybe this year will be considered brilliant because it attracts lots of new viewers because of the "exciting" games??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

I always wonder if you look at the Ireland v NZL game but took Ireland's name out and replaced it with France/SA would people be pushing this narrative of "oh they bottled it"...it's just pure narrative setting, funny how you dont get the same people calling France bottlers for losing a QF, shows its a narrative not based on facts. The way people talk about it you'd swear Ireland lost by 30 points or lost to a mediocre opposition, we lost by 4 points to a NZL side that many claim played their best game in this RWC cycle and probably one of the their best performances in a long long time....how do people look at that and then claim Ireland bottled it. Anyone who claims this just show's of their ignorance and lack of rugby knowledge.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's 3 time finalists France and SA who were (at the time) 3 time winners and current holders?

Of course the narrative is totally different, when compared against Ireland who were the best team in the world at the time but were knocked out in the quarter finals for the 8th time.

There's always an excuse. "Oh NZ played their best ever game this cycle". Yea, ok, but we definitely didn't. Again.

As for the other stuff about the 6N, the standard is obviously pretty crap this year. Ireland are literally the only team displaying any sort of form. Wales are a total joke. England are awful. France are bad. Italy are Italy and Scotland are Scotland. Not that we should overly care, but it's the reality of the situation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Absolutely - Remove the history around Ireland and the world cup and that game would be viewed for what it was , a great game of rugby with the result going to NZ by the bounce of a ball.

Objectively if you were to look at the all the games played in the World Cup and picked out the Top 3 games from the tournament overall in terms of the quality of the Rugby on display, Ireland were involved in 2 of them ( Ireland vs SA and Ireland vs NZ) the other being SA vs France in the other QF.

Because of the craziness of the draw , those 2 QF's were really the Semi-Finals and everyone knew it.

Every dog in the street knew that the finalists were coming from those two QF's and Ireland missed out by a whisker.

As frustrating and maddening as it was calling it a "choke" or "sh!tting the bed" just isn't remotely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

came within a score of beating NZ

Congratulations to Ireland on winning the "came within a score of NZ" trophy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The point wasn't that this should be celebrated.

The point was that this shouldn't be framed as "sh*t the bed / bottled it / choked".

Having said all that, I do understand why someone may not be as invested in this 6 Nations as they would other years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Absolutely. The games this year aren't as entertaining as other years. But I'll still enjoy an irish win.

There's also the fact that we've kept up high performance while changing out a number of players in key positions.

There's also the possibility of retaining a slam, which is historically impressive. Never done in the 6 nations, and only a handful of times going all the way back to early 1900's.

Some years the opposition doesn't perform. That doesn't mean that we don't appreciate what our team does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

So you are saying if Ireland won 3 RWCs or made 3 RWC finals then losing to NZL in 2023 WOULDNT be a bottling the RWC but because Ireland havent achieved these feats then all of a sudden it IS considered bottling...i'm sorry but this really makes no sense, it doesnt matter how good you were in the past, bottling it is bottling it and you cant pick and choose which is which just because of a countries pedigree in the competition.

Again I don't really see how this being the 8th QF loss in a row plays into it...I mean with a straight face can you honestly compare this loss to any of the previous QF losses? Also by this virtue does that mean France were also bottlers seeing as they also lost in the QF's when they were one of the favourites to win?

No offence but like I alluded to in the previous comment this sort of thinking just show's up you're rugby knowledge if you honestly try push this narrative that this is like previous RWC's, it was made clear for years almost that this was ridiculously lopsided draw which meant 2 great sides were going to be eliminated and if any of the other 3 were to suffer the same fate as Ireland they wouldn't be getting this crap but because it's Ireland that suffered it they get it because it's an easy stick to beat them with. But at the end of the day all the people that do this show is that they are either trying to wind people up, are a troll or just havent clue about rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Has mystic Gerry released his probable team yet ?

• Advertisement

Normal enough. Every iteration of a tournament can't be a classic or the word would be meaningless. About 1 in 10 championships are classics, some are extremely competitive and some have a series of matches where the most discussed thing is the ref

Advertisement