Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Inforapenny

What is the story with Alexei Soroka & Martin Moloney, are they both injured long term again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Both so combative no surprise they pick up injuries.

Reminded of the phrase "availability is the best ability"

You'd worry about both their futures with Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭ersatz

I'd say the same. Nowadays coaches have to think long and hard about how and what to commit to an SA tour and then some of the SA teams are going well on the road. It's unrealistic to imagine dominating the league in the way Leinster did for a few years, it's become a lot more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Molony's emergence as a quality player has coincided with the strongest options we've had at lock probably in our history. If he was playing a decade ago or was even in this form 5 years ago, he'd have been capped. He really has only hit his top levels in the last 2 years. We've very few cheap caps being handed out these days in the back five of the pack. Henderson, Ryan, Baird, McCarthy and Beirne is at a higher level than anything we've ever seen before. There's a two time Lion not making the 23 at the moment.

We haven't given out a new cap at lock in three years. Aside from those currently in the squad, if you look at guys capped in the 5 years prior to the 2021/22 season, we saw Wycherley, Kleyn, Treadwell, Roux, Holland and Dillane get debuts. I think Molony would be comfortably able to sit amongst most of that group.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We gave out a new cap at lock in June 2022 and Baird's debut was 3 years and one week ago.

• Advertisement

Did we? That was the NZ summer tour, unless you're talking about the Maori games?

We gave Wycherley a cap in the summer of 2021 off the bench against USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

J McCarthy was capped in 2022 unless your point was to list people other than "Henderson, Ryan, Baird, McCarthy and Beirne"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

He'd be lucky to get half of what he's currently on with Leinster in the states. Hell he could negotiate a serious pay cut with Leinster and still be earning more that he would in MLR.

A player of Molonys calibre would get picked up by another European team for a modest but not cheap salary in most places!

And as you said - far too good for the MLR for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

They were and it's easy to find the proof.

"The Crusaders and Leinster have developed an interesting relationship over the last couple of years, sharing ideas during lockdown before the province took things one step further, signing Crusaders tighthead Michael Ala’alatoa last year before snapping up Goodman as Felipe Contepomi’s replacement.

“The last couple of years we (Crusaders) actually had a very close relationship with Leinster during Covid,” Goodman continues.

We had catch-ups over a few weeks over scouting each other and how we would play against each other and sharing information, and we watch a lot of Leinster rugby so we were always watching the way that they were playing. So we were backing up different things, as we would do when showing different clips of Ross Molony at the line with his skillset or different little things in the way that Leinster were playing."

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Blue tinted glasses if you think Maloney is an international quality lock. Now, 5 years ago or 10 years ago. He doesn’t have the required size at all

5 years ago we had an explosive Dillane, Quinn Roux, Toner, Henderson, Ryan.

10 years ago POC, Toner, Mike McCarthy, Henderson, Dan Touhy

He would be as good a rugby player as Touhy and roux (who were squad members and not really playing) but not their physicality.

He is what he is, A very good rugby player but not an international quality lock.

• Advertisement

I never said he was an international quality lock. I said he hasn't been capped because of the strength of options we have now. We've capped Wycherley and Holland in recent years; neither of them are international level locks either but the timing worked out for them in terms of available options.

We've capped a lot of guys in the past just to have a look at them and see if they can live at that level and because we often don't have a huge amount of depth.

Players capped in the summer of 2021 include Dave Heffernan, Ed Byrne, Wycherley, Paul Boyle, Blade, Shane Daly.....don't think any of them are test level players but they've test caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

On the re watch, HB looks worse as a center. Some of his tackling was awful. I would have preferred to see Brownlee get the start. I hope Leo doesn't go down that road again. Ross was ok. Still needs minutes in his legs.

Deegan was superb! Again! Best player on the pitch, imo. Milne was great as was Connors. I reckon Connors could see international caps this summer. Clarkson looks a different man. Very good performance. Deeny very good and Turner....what can you say? The man is a player.

Pssst! JL is not a good fb!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

JL hasn't played 15 since 2020?? the last time I seen him play 15 was for Ireland v Wales and he was one of the best players on the pitch that day. Not sure if he played after that with covid etc

I expect the H Byrne at 12 was part of a plan for the coach's in terms of bench options etc for games. Writing a player off at 12 after he hasn't played the position in a number of years after one game seems a bit odd, from recollection Frawley struggled at 12 when he first moved to the position and ended up getting into the Ireland squad to NZ after a lot of games

HB was poor! It's just a fact. I'm not writing him off, I'd prefer him at 10.

He is a 10 so I prefer him at 10 :-)

Playing him at 12 as I mentioned I guess is to look at option for bench if they go 6/2 etc...trying these things out at URC level against the Welsh is the best time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

JL hasn't played 15 since 2020?? the last time I seen him play 15 was for Ireland v Wales and he was one of the best players on the pitch that day. Not sure if he played after that with covid etc

Larmour has definitely played 15 a decent few times since 2020.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,704 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Actually whats the point 😂

well he is a back three player ??

yes, three starts at 15

• Advertisement

...meaning he'll have had more time at 15 than just his starts in that period, right?

no idea what your point is or what your trying to get at?

his 3 starts in 3 years at 15 is a reflection as to how leinster see him as a player these days.

We've better full backs (Keenan / JOB) available now, compared to when he first came on the scene.

hell hes only got one start more than jamie osbourne at 15, no starts in a ERC game.

hes a "break glass in case of emergency FB" at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

James Ryan is out for the rest of the Six Nations with a bicep injury. Bad news for us and the knockout rounds of the Champions Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Yeah not great news.

That's a big concern. Ryan is key for the run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

To be fair the Six nations ends next week so them saying his Six nations is over, might not be that bad. Farrell said " He got injured yesterday in training, just a freak accident really, just a reaction, reaching out for a tackle that was non contact and's injured his bicep".

If he is out for a period of time, I have faith in McCarthy, Jenkins and Molony to cover for him as the match day locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Feel they're good until the quarter final but it could get dicey then. 5 weeks to get it resolved.

Name you left off is Baird, who I believe might get shifted back in to get the best players on the pitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well that's a ballache and a half. Will obviously hit Leinster far more than Ireland and I'd be fairly worried if he's not back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Probably be Baird and McCarthy, with Conan at 6 if Ryan is out long term

• Advertisement

Bicep issues are very finicky. If Farrell was able to definitively rule him out of the rest of the 6N fairly immediately, it would certainly suggest it isn't a niggle and is probably something significant and clear like a tear.

If it is a torn bicep, it's probably a season ender. RB was out for 3 months with his.

Advertisement