Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price gouging by the pub, restaurant & hotel industry

1434445464749»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

What I’m finding a lot now is that “soup”, whilst still the cheapest item on the starters menu is close to 10 euro in most restaurants - then it’s everything from 12 euro to 16/18 euro for the rest of the items.

Main courses are greatly reduced in size- EVERYTHING is an extra - so whilst the main course menu might look ok price wise for say a chicken dish at 24 euro (which is expensive anyway for chicken) - add potatoes and veg and it ends up costing maybe 28 euro or more.

Id rarely get 3 courses when out unless the set menu was looking good and priced reasonable - whilst portions might be small you’ll be full after 3 courses usually and a nice selection of food - you just need to find the right place though -id usually go main course only and depending on how full I might share a dessert or just get a coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Anytime I'd be in Enniscorthy in Wexford over the last 20 odd years and was looking for a bite to eat, would often do the carvery at the Riverside hotel. Never found it to be overly expensive, even pre '08 crash. Portion sizes were generous, food tasty and a main course could be €10 to €12

Since Covid, have been back a couple of times and I think my trips over there are done. Starters all €10, mains anything from €16 / €17 up and all desserts €10. A tenner for a small slice of pie with whipped cream in Enniscorthy is farcical. I don't care if Gordon Ramsey squirted his sauce on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

16 euro is hardly expensive for a main course to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Three course meal in central Paris in a pub/cafe/restaurant = 20 euro

L'Express bar, 23 rue du roule, Paris

The price is 20 now.

Main dish = 14, starter = 6, dessert = 5.50, see below:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Stop here regularly on the way to Donegal, great spot.

They have consistently been €1=£1 for years as well, there's still value out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Good value indeed, but costs in rural Donegal are not the same as costs in Dublin.

Not saying you were trying to compare, but there is obviously always going to be a difference in city prices vs rural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

You're calling other posters out for being disingenuous for picking cheap restaurants in Paris, while being disingenuous yourself and picking a restaurant with 3 Michelin stars as your own comparison.

The original point was that Marrakech is a poor comparison because the standard of living is so much lower. A point was made that Paris has a SOL equal to, if not higher than here, so their prices should be more in line with ours. Showing a relatively cheap restaurant in one of the food capitals of the world certainly does imply that Ireland is a rip-off, that's the entire point of the post and indeed the thread.

We are being ripped off and it will come back to bite the restauranteurs in the arse. You seem to be defending this for some reason.

Average restaurants and even pubs charging €9+ for soup or €20 for a salad, €6+ for a pint and €18+ for a burger is simply unsustainable. People simply won't pay it. More than 45 restaurants per month closed in 2023, over 50 in November alone. Couldn't even hang on until the lucrative Xmas period. It's just unsustainable, and people will vote with their feet/wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thats not donegal, its aughnacloy, on the monaghan/tyrone border, 90 mins from dublin.

Id imagine that a similar restaurant 15 mins away in Monaghan would be 50% more at least

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Why would a restaurant keep pushing up prices to the point where they loose customers and have to go out of business. It doesn’t make any sense. Would it not be better to keep the prices lower and stay in business if that was possible. It seems to me and I’m no expert that a combination of high energy prices, high rental prices, high insurance prices high raw ingredients prices and increasing wages are all feeding into this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭enricoh

Even with all those inputs rising it was still possible to make a few bob.

Now you have to compete against the welfare wonderland the government have created. Extra pension costs + sick days, bank holiday, minimum wage rise etc. the extra 4.5% vat put the tin hat on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

SME's are being squeezed out of existence in this country. Overheads ridiculous, VAT nonsensical, rates ludicrous... Could go on and on.

Plenty of people commenting wouldn't be able to run a business for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭klose

A local trader is really annoying, basically guilt tripping people to go to said place. He doesn’t know wether to run the place as a restaurant with a bar or a pub that does food, neither here nor there.

Uses Instagram heavily to promote stuff (never deals). Mentioned for weeks they’d stop brunch if it “wasn’t supported” stopped brunch a couple weeks later. Mentioned live music on Fridays will be cancelled if it’s “not supported” live music stopped a couple weeks later. Then posted both times how due to lack of support it wasn’t feasible to do brunch and live music on Fridays, comes across as “well this is all your fault guys, look what ye have done”

Food is grand there, nothing spectacular. Overpriced stuff you’d get anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Since I was shocked at the prices for a few nights away over the summer I booked further afield.

2 nights in Amsterdam, fly Aer Lingus, booked short term parking to splash out, 4* hotel city center hotel, Tues to Thurs night mid Aug = €745

vs

2 nights Croke Park Hotel = €688(dont think there any concerts on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

And Amsterdam would be considered an expensive city to visit for hotel prices. You'd get 4 nights in Seville for less than €500 (hotel price only).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

For a big feed of buttery mash, soft vegetables and a bit of turkey with stuffing, I'd say it's dear enough, especially considering it's not Dublin, Cork or Galway I'm in.

But anyway, having looked at the menu as I haven't been there a while, the mains are almost all now €20 minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Seville is a beautiful city and full of history. But don't go in August. I did last year and it was 43 degrees which is nearly unbearable at times. Would go again anytime except summer months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Greed, is the simple answer.

Not being able to see that short term gain is trumped by long-term loss of custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Your first mistake is to assume that there is a simple answer. It may be in some cases. If greed is the simple single reason then it’s greed by everyone involved including suppliers , energy companies , landlords , council rates , insurance companies etc etc etc. I have heard owners of small family restaurant’s who have been in business for years talking about having to close due to the constant rising spiral of costs. These people have not suddenly decided to fleece their long term customers for the sake of short term profit and ultimately closure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭enricoh

Guilt tripping is never gonna work. I would give fellas a break over it though - they could be under a lot of financial pressure, working crazy hours n no staff etc etc.

Local fella was at the same here on Facebook when Celtic tiger died, he tried everything to keep the lights on - line dancing, Texas holdem, quiz's etc. his had massive heart attack n had to pack it in, stress n boozing nearly killed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hospitality workers deserve better than barely scraping a living and the prospect of poverty in their old age. OK so for a lot of them it's just a job for a few years before moving on to better things, but that's no excuse to treat staff like shít.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Meat and salad sandwich in the Greengrocer Castlemartyr yesterday for €2.70; nice bread, decent ham, nice homemade coleslaw and fresh lettuce. Seating upstairs to. Best deal in Ireland.

Was charged 5.50 for a similar sandwich worse in every way in Eurospar Dungarvan lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Large Breakfast Roll from Noel's Restaurant ( Take Away side) in Dundalk for 4.50 euro and was first class. Sausage, bacon, egg and black & white pudding. Great value.

Advertisement