Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The E Ryan who has brought it through cabinet approval and to the RO?

He is not remotely a concern. His replacement might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well he played his part in making sure the extension south of Charlemont didn’t happen. I won’t trust him on this matter until we have a spade in the ground tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No he didn’t.

The discovery of the sewer under the Grand Canal stopped it.

Department of Public Expenditure public spending code.

A final case for funding will have to be made by the NTA/TII to that Department and then brought to cabinet for approval.

I wouldn’t be expecting any final decision until next year sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

This didn't either, the chosen tie in at Beechwood was done after the discovery of the sewer. Per NTA, and per TII, the reason the Tie in was culled was due to public opposition to the GL closures and disruption. I'm happy that Ryan has gotten it as far as he has but he did have a part to play in feeding into that opposition.

Also I don't think theres any reason why this can't have its railway order by Q4 2024, at least thats what TII want, in which case I can imagine the government will be very keen to have contracts signed before the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

So what’s the DEPR PSC?

@tom1ie

DEPR is the acronym used for the Department of Public Expenditure, National Development Plan Delivery and Reform (Previously Public Expenditure and Reform). They monitor and to a large extent regulate and control public expenditure.

PSC is the Public Spending Code which is a set of rules and procedures which govern public expenditure. Among other things this sets out how public capital projects operate. For projects such as the Metro both a preliminary and final business case must be prepared and submitted by the sponsoring authority and the project must go through decision gates (stages of expenditure approval) during planning and approval before it is given final approval to proceed to construction. Essentially it provides the governance by which the Government keep control of Capital Expenditure and related projects

More here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/public-spending-code/?fl=en

Page 8 of the following TII document shows the PSC as it applies to major road projects and where the decision gates align with the TII project phases It’s application to major rail projects is very similar

https://www.tii.ie/roads-tolling/projects-and-improvements/major-active-projects.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Excellent thanks.

Any idea how long it takes from ABP RO approval to clear DEPR PSC?

I presume that’s it then…..shovels in the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I believe that it needs full cabinet approval again before contracts are signed. That's a potential banana skin, and having seen the arguments put up against this project at ABP so far, I'd say I'd class that as a more likely worry. Politicians don't like long expensive projects, as they might not be around for the grand photo op opening, but would be open to criticism of any overspend.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

TII have now uploaded the new plans to get around this issue, and as promised, it's slightly deeper. Means a pumping station is now required.

• Advertisement

Dartmouth Square Resident's Association have been busy.

A relatively easy fix. Again, TII taking the path of least resistance on things that are easy to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Maybe a silly question but I wonder does this have any effect on the performance of the metro train? Ie it now has a steeper gradient to traverse?

Probably doesn’t matter I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Mathematician

It should actually help. If I recall correctly, the central line in London was built with slopes up to stations to aid breaking into them and acceleration out of them.

Took a look at the schedule for the oral hearings there again, and it looks like Module 1 of the oral hearing has finished*. Module 1 was where proper engineering issues were to be raised, so stuff like issues with electromagnetic interference, vibrations & noise, property damage, existing pilings being missed in the plans, etc. Module 2 is where all other matters should be raised. They specifically mention property acquisition, so expect to hearing from Hedigans and the College Gate apartment people. I'd also guess that you'll hear people complain about the chosen route in this module, but little else.

So far, it's been enormously positive. If any major issues where to be found in the plans, it would have happened in module 1, and all of the issues that were raised so far have been really minor/easily solved.

*So says the schedule issued on Monday. It's possible that it ran over, but they seem to be ticking over pretty well so far.

Thanks for these regular updates - they’re very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Sounds great. With a bit of luck we'll see builders moving in this time next year, at which point we can all exhale, perhaps pop some reasonably priced prosecco, tremendous progress.

Once construction starts I think it'll move along more rapidly than predicted, there's usually a lot of padding in tunnelling project timelines because of the geotechnical variables. Might even see it finish up around 2031.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That would be awesome. This is probably the biggest threat to the project though so I won't exhale until some significant works have started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Irish_general_election

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Being discussed now on NewsTalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That makes a lot of sense. If not being done already, I wonder could they adopt that strategy for other underground stations too. Reducing the dept of station boxes by 1 or 2m could give a pretty big construction cost saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Its a good question but difficult to answer with anything other than "how long is a piece of string"

There have been very few major project Railway Orders in recent times to compare it to.

If you take the M28 as an example, which although it is a road rather than a rail project follows the same approval framework, that was approved by ABP in June 2018. There was a two year and nine month delay as it worked its way through the legal process (Judicial Review and subsequent appeals). Preliminary work commenced in 2021 and continues (fencing, scrub clearance, archeological survey, utility diversion, etc). The main contract went to tender in late 2023 and has not yet been awarded. Currently construction is expected to start in late 2024. So that was 6.5 years from ABP approval to construction commencing. The legal decisions in this case were somewhat delayed, on the other hand neither the Court of Appeal nor the Supreme Court heard the case, nor were the opponents granted approval to "take it to Europe". SO the legal process could actually have taken a lot longer. And a further three years have elapsed since the legal process ended. Will there be a Judicial review of the ABP Metrolink decision ? Will the decision from that be subject to further appeals ? Will other issues arise to accelerate or delay the project ? It's simply impossible to tell.

And that's before any political considerations. Look at the NCH, all set to go back in the days of the Bert and Cowen, change of Government, and hey presto ten year delay ensued. Nothing to say that that couldn't be repeated. And that's before ever factoring Ryan into the equation.

So at this relatively early stage, given that there are further hoops to jump through and further pitfalls ahead, it's anybody's guess. Hopefully, with a fair wind, it will be underway by the end of the decade.

Queue vociferous cries of shrill indignation.............

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Judicial review is less likely for metrolink and any plaintifs who actually have grounds for JR will likely be paid to go away. The JR fiasco is also likely to be closed by legislation soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Howdya mean "breaking into them" out of curiosity?

E: only after I posted did I realise you meant "braking", leaving it up in case anyone else was similarly puzzled

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you want to run the train off the tracks and into the station box proper scalextrix style, you need an incline as you approach, hence "breaking in"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Something that occurred to me yesterday. Over its nine year construction period, the cost of building Metrolink would work out at €35 per week for each inhabitant of Dublin City, or less than €15 per week for those living in County Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The actual story is more reasoned. The residents support Metrolink, but were asking if any small green space could be found for residents during construction... the current plan will take all of the available greens. A fair and reasonable request.

There is green space nearby, however exiting the estate would have to be required, which I get isn't desirable for parents with kids. Reap what you sow I guess when it comes to designing these insane cul de sacs that have no permeability.

There is a ton of green space on north of Estuary Ct which is available to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

I heard Duncan Stewart on the radio earlier, another 70 something yr old anti metrolink crank, who has made a comfortable living over the last 30 years, wanting to **** on the futures of the younger generations. Out with usual speil of airport-city centre without looking at the bigger picture.

Advertisement