Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Voting NO for both

Just reminding people of what Martin has done to this country,his new incarnation over the recent years does not impress me and does not absolve him of the damage he did in the past,I will discount anything he says just the same as many will discount Steen because she is a member of the Iona group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

They haven't explicitly pointed out what "durable relationship means".The yes side seem very unwilling to do this which leads people not to trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The care referendum takes the pressure off the state to support anyone "in the home". The could have worded this much better and without stoking the genuine issues that people have with it. It's not enough to say that the language is "sexist" and thats why it should be removed, if what it is being replaced with will potentially have worse practical implications.

Why are we looking at "adding to it in future"? Why not get it right this time? It's costing millions not to get it right and at this point if it doesn't go through not getting it right means it might be decades before it's reviewed again.

Half-a$$ed is the term I'd use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Voting YES for both

Does it not just take pressure of women? The state will now still strive, where before they would have endeavoured, if it goes through.

Doesn’t sound like there’s too much pressure on them as is. Whether it goes through, or not, there seems like there is a large appetite for a campaign for the government to bear more responsibility for disabled people.

Although, for me, personally, I would rather take care of a family member than have them end up in state care, unless it was the last resort.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

I'm late to the party only trying to get into this today to be ready for Friday.

'Durable relationship'

'Strive'

I don't think use of either of these makes things clear enough.

I am looking for reasons to vote Yes mostly what I'm finding it 'because the main parties say so' or 'because X,Y,Z are saying No'

I only hear short clips of radio each day, unfortunately see bit more socal media and an leaning towards those carers who have spoken to say No. Those who have experience with the care system. Thankfully it is not something I have had to deal with so feel they are the best placed with views.

Family one ... Would not like to consider everyone who I had a durable relationship with as my family.

Think I must be missing out on something so will get reading now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am voting YES (care amendment)

Don't get your knickers in a twist. I am more than happy for non fundamental religious gobshiites to advocate for a No vote. Iona spread nothing but lies to suit their warped 1950s Rome sponsored agenda.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

What pressure is on women at the moment to remain in the home and how exactly are the state endeavouring to ensure they stay there??

There's a large apetite for the government to actualy improve the real world outcomes for many sectors of society who currently struggle to get the best care care - there's countless examples of this not being done or being done inadequately. They'd be better off spending tens of millions on outcomes rather that fluffy constitutional amendments that wont have any actual positive outcomes from them and some questions around what "unintended" consequences might happen as a result of change.

I'd love to be able to take care of a family member if needed however back in the real world its not always possible for a plethora of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭griffin100

You can also tell a lot by looking at the posters here who are advocating a double yes vote and their response to anyone who dares question the government narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Voting NO for both

Wait until the yes side are defeated on Saturday- it will all be because of a "far-right" conspiracy and the government will claim they need to move to fast-track legislation to combat "online misinformation".

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭89897

I really dont get the confusion and people getting caught up in "Durable Relationship" google the word durable to get a meaning if you need to? Its a committed long lasting strong relationship. The point of the referendum is to get rid of the singular relationship type and not limited what families are, why would they continute to limit it further by stating what type of relationship that is?!

Marriage is still going to be protected so that mistress story doesnt hold anymore than it already would in court.

For years people in this country have to present durable relationships and jump through hoops to prove them when it comes to things like visas and that! So its already there and is not going to be anything new to judges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

What is the constitutional basis for prioritising single mothers in the provision of social housing?

Could it be the article that is to be removed with a yes vote in the care referendum?

Would Fine Gael be happy to have less state responsibility regarding the provision of social housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Voting NO for both

Define that. Give us a time frame.

6 months? A year? 2 years?

What about a 1 night stand that results in a child being born, is that relationship durable because there is now a child in the mix?

It is so vague, and Michael Martin purposely avoided questions on defining a durable relationship on last night's Prime Time debate because nobody has a concrete answer. It's ridiculous.

This is our constitution, and people think it's OK to fill it with vague terms that are open to all sorts of interpretation.

Voting NO for both

Micheal Martin was a joke last night. Three days before the referendum he point blankly refused to elaborate on what could be construed a "durable relatiionship"- i.e. don't ask questions folks, just vote yes.

But the point is its not defined, its based on a set of standards.

My 4 year relationship is more durable in my late 30s than my 10 year one in my 20s was. How? We own a home, planning a wedding, have a blended family.

If you cant tell the difference between a solid 2 yr relationship and a casual 4 yr one then thats on you but the courts will looks at whats making the 2 yr relationship differnet.

A one night stand isnt a relationship, one one can doubt that, but that parent and child are not right now considered a family.

Honest question what difference does it make to you that its defined or not thats not "its our constitution" cause do you understand every part of the constitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Voting YES for both

Superior courts, the supreme court, the high court, the court of appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Voting YES for both

Michael Martin doesn't have to define it!

It's entirely for the courts to decide those matters. You or I won't ever need to decide what a durable relationship is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Voting YES for both

This is the bit that annoys me. People are saying Roderic said X or Micheál said Y - but whatever they say isn't going to be what the courts decide..

Exactly and his unwillingness to elaborate isnt a lack of understanding on his behalf, its a lack of understanding on those looking for it.

But this is the key point, the implications of it's definition may have impacts on all of us, which are as yet, unknown/undetermined and NOBODY can say for certain whether this is or isn't the case.

• Advertisement

Voting NO for both

Maybe you have 2 durable relationships. What's to stop that partner from your 20s coming back claing a durable relationship existed for you both.

Thats a rediculous reason to question the use of Durable Relationship. Whats stopping them is we dont have a relationship, theres literally no proof of us having a relationship right now and thats what a court would want. Had he made any claim to, it wouldnt be entertained as much as it would now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I am voting YES (family amendment)

Whatever about the gov, saying its anything to do with the ' media establishment' that is untrue.

Any debate or discussion I have seen or read has been carefully balanced and timed equally.

Like when do we see Maria 'Stymie' Steen unless it is a constitutional referendum that she is taking the Catholic Iona Institute side on?

Ugh...

Nearly changed my previously made up mind to vote no to the care amendment to a big YES when I saw her trotted out.. But. that would be silly so will resist that impulse!

Really, no argument by anyone is going to make a difference to anybody trying to decide what is best with this bloody thing..

Its just completely incomprehensible..

and means something different to every individual at this stage.

So many pros and cons. And nothing decisive. For me anyhow.

Nothing his marriage would still be protected or did you not bother reading that part when looking into what the changes actually were.

Voting NO for both

His durable relationship partner could contest his own wishes and challenge the will because they were in a "Durable Relationship "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Did the Citizen's Assembly preferred wording migrate verbatim to the current amendment proposal?

I have a feeling it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I am voting YES (family amendment)

Hmmm. You also have FLAC, ICCL and irish Disability grouos such as Independent Living Movement Organisation and Equality not Care group also on the No side so that logic isn't so black and white.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/02/20/care-amendment-criticised-by-independent-living-movement-ireland-and-irish-council-for-civil-liberties-in-further-blow-to-yes-yes-referendum-campaign/

Its pretty abysmal that something that should have been a good thing for so many who had campaigned for change , is leaving people feeling divided and disenfranchised and with many reckoned to not vote at all now in the end.

Voting NO for both

Michael McDowell will be on The Tonight Show tonight to debate Helen McEntee regarding the Family Referendum- I can't wait to see him wipe the floor with that utter simpleton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 routetoot

Voting NO for both

Will she try her nodding head trick on him I wonder

Advertisement