Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Rodgers was great. That documentary he did was phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Branno bragging about breaking Bohs’ away ban after they acted like inbreds against Pats sure is a great look. And people wonder why no one takes LoI heads seriously when they pull the cap out and look for more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Branno admitting he broke the away fans rule, boasting about giving a fake address to get a home ticket, and insinuating that card payments don't exist outside of Dublin. Just incredibly dim-witted and un-self-aware from someone who gives the impression he sees himself as some sort of intellectual.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ken's Liverpool bias is the biggest load of bòllocks (biggest load of bòllocks)...

I did love Branno getting very upset about Duffer getting a great dig in at King Stephen the First, though

He was crap, let’s move on and stop pretending he built anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I don't get the notion that has Ken a Liverpool bias. I'm a Southampton supporter so I might be a *little* out of the loop regards slights he's giving to other teams. I don't hear it any way at all.

Damian Duff is loved by the nation. But the comments he said were a lot more in line with my experience of him. A surprisingly petty man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah, definitely don't hear a Liverpool bias. He's sneering about everyone. Arsenal, city, Liverpool included. He's plenty critical of Liverpool.

He is a Liverpool fan, as I've said before many of his old football references are Liverpool centric. Something happens this weekend and he says oh that happened before to Liverpool in 2003. It doesn't seem that unusual because Liverpool and Utd are the drama clubs that everyone pays attention to. If he was citing all the west ham examples it would be more obvious.

He's a good pro and has actively kept that out of his work. It doesn't mean he has to criticise Liverpool at every turn.

The ref made the mistake last weekend. The game played on for two minutes. Loads of variables occured. The forest fans had barely noticed.

Every human on the planet has some sort of bias and the notion that football opinion writing/presenting has to be bias free seems mad to me, even if Ken is striving for that. Every writer grew up supporting a team. Their team has had interactions with lots of teams. That influence is going to affect how they see the game.

Ken isn't good because he's a human AI giving unbiased views on the game. He's good because he takes a point of view and eloquently puts it out there for amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

Fans of the big Premier League teams that are popular in Ireland are extremely sensitive about any perceived bias against their team, or for another one of the big teams. Far from finding it annoying and akin to cheerleading, I haven't even noticed a pro-Liverpool bias.

I don’t think he is particularly biased. He isn’t spitting out of car windows or fuming when Arsenal win Carragher style. I just think it’s noticeable where his allegiances lay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Ken's soliloquay a few years back, his ode to Rocky Balboa's training run in Rocky II where at the end he admitted to himself that he loved Brendan Rodgers, was one of his greatest moments on the show! The subsequent glee and hilarity he seemed to get out of Rodgers' and Liverpool's collapse, must make him quite the sleeper agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Wasn't it a take off of 1984? The whole "he won victory over himself. He loved Big Brother/Brendan Rogers."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

And let's not forget that the player he has most taken the piss out of in the last two years is Darwin Nunez.

More obsessed with them than he was about Frank Lampard or Jose back in the day? I dunno about that one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That was a good chat with Rory Beggan, will be interesting to see if any NFL teams sign him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Whether he’s a fan or not, I can recall him being very critical and snide towards Liverpool in the past. When Raheem Sterling was considering going to Man City, Ken and Richie spent a whole podcast about why it would be crazy for him not to leave (I remember because it was a **** episode). And he used to get great mileage mocking Rodgers.

He’s less critical now but that’s because Klopp is patently a great manager and they’re a very good team. It’s not because he’s a blinkered fanboy

Post edited by cheese sandwich on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Jesus, maybe I've misremembered...was it not part of a longer piece where Brendan was running around the streets of Liverpool and as he ran, more and more people joined him and by the end, Ken believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I see today's pod is Miguel talking about how the Champions League has gone unbearably boring (my words, not his).

Looking forward to it, I've said here before Miguel has gone from being one of my least favourite contributors to being one of my favourites over the past year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Could be, think it's 10 years old now if it was the 13/14 season

Miguel is the king of comically and completely wrong takes - the Super League is definitely not going to be stopped (the day after it was announced)/Poch isn’t on a hot seat - so I’m looking forward to the barn-burner of a CL we’re going to get this year.

If he could predict my county definitely isn’t going to win the All-Ireland I’d be forever grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭bren2001

Miguel is probably the worst contributors. Just makes stuff up and rambles until he eventually maybe ends up with a point.

Give me Johnaton Wilson or Rory Smith any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

100%. I used to think he was an arsenal fan. But he just speaks favourably of teams playing well and arsenal were playing well at the time. He'll take the piss out of a team on their way down. Need to go back to this when Klopp is gone and Liverpool are struggling to get 5th

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

This Man City Copenhagen tie isn't disproving his thoughts.

You mean the tie that was decided two weeks ago?

My reddit source offers an explanation for his Rodgers opinion. They did not like his Rodgers stance at all on the Liverpool reddit page.... he got called a "self hating Liverpool fan" by one contributor.

Also love the description of the Ken sighting at the globe....

From the quarter finals on it's usually good, but you have to sit through a lot of pointless mismatches to reach that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Everything in that would just make me think the person is talking shite. The fact he goes on to say Ken used to claim he had trials in Marseille is hilarious. That was a running joke for years on newstalk. Wouldn’t believe a word of some anonymous Reddit poster.

there is a lot of Liverpool reddit users who think he is a Liverpool man

He may well have supported Liverpool at some point - who knows really, it's never been explicitly stated - and like a lot of things that seem to exist as a story on the internet, you'd be hard pressed to know where it all actually originated.

My bet is that someone here or on Reddit posted about it back in the mists of time and it's become accepted fact. Think about it: where did you first hear about it? I'm guessing it was a post here, on twitter, or Reddit...

Tbh I think Ken is too jaundiced and cynical to truly favour one club. Now, there's some he truly dislikes: City and Newcastle in recent years are the best examples.

A lot of his United commentary in the last decade has been pretty scathing - but I think that's more a reflection of how United have lurched from crisis to crisis during that time.

He's also appeared many, many times down through the years on The Arsecast podcast talking about Arsenal. By the strength of the evidence that people are using to definitely say he supports one team or another that should be practically a smoking gun - but I've never noticed any bias towards Arsenal from him over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He supports Liverpool. I was told by a member of his family.

how is this still an item of interest, i guess you have to accept other people find stuff interesting that you don’t , but to me this is such a dull topic

Advertisement