Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Trebhygt

Will we get 50% turn out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Photobox

Doubt it. Less than 30% I'd say. Know several people not voting and posters here saying they are not voting, I'm voting myself as I feel its your civic duty, that's just my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I wasn't living in Ireland at the time so missed all that but I heard that that was true - and it looks like it was.

What I do know is that contemporary progressive leftists go for the if you don't agree with us your some kind of hateful person angle so I wouldn't be taking your comments on McDowell with much heed. I don't get what the hate would be in respect of these amendments anyway - like you think he does think a woman's place is in the home or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

I'd say no vote angrier .

Angry people vote

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

Complete nonsense coming from cabal.

How would anyone vote for yes when the wording is a fog...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Incant ever remember a Supreme court decision that has been made that woukd rank as bizarre as that one. Can you? I mean, I've never heard a man refer to him and his mistress as a family member.

Long terms partner would obviously come under the term. Again, can't really the court accepting someone is in a durable relationship with their ex, especially when it will very likely be against their ex's consent.

Again, it doesnt say it will do as much as possible. Do you think the current government are doing as much as they possibly can to ensure women who are carers don't have to work?

And they aren't, which is wrong and it should be change put to the electorate to change. I can only imagine the foaming atnthe mouth outrage at the proposal from some quarters.

Ill rephrase, this will be the first time that the Constitution will place obligation on the State to attempt to provide support to families who have a a member who is disabled. It is also not possible for a person with a disability to being a Constitutional challenge either.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

the bigger question is, if the public return the "wrong" answer, will there be a do-over?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I know what you mean. From my viewpoint I think leaving marriage v durable relationship is divisive.

Plus marriage STILL has the protection against attack - BUT marriage as the foundation of the family will be removed, and of course there is Divorce which has been legislated for years - is all very confusing)

I think completely removing marriage and ALL mention of it in the constitution would have been a better move, if they they wanted to go the "durable relationship" route.

Either that, or DON'T put in the "durable relationship" and leave IN all reference to marriage.

I don't know if there is some legal terminology some latin phrase for "all over the shop" but that is what it seems like to me. Full of contradictions.

The chat from the YES side seems to be based on it "sounding nice" as you say, everything will be grand and won't it make us look progressive more in tune with today's society etc.

But none of the YES side seem willing to concede any potential issues with the new amendments at all. That worries me and makes me suspicious.

In contrast a lot of the NO side have laid out valid practical concerns on both amendments, whereas the YES side seem very wishy washy. It is almost as if it is based on emotion more than anything else.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I doubt it. It seems the goverment are getting a bit of a hiding over this. Can't see them going again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - We don't need another thread on the referendum (especially at this stage, 36 hours before it takes place)

Merged

• Advertisement

I looked at the Pervaiz v Minister for Justice [2020] IESC 27 case again. (A Judical Review case)

I previously did not emphases the main point of the case. Where the judge gave a very broad/vague definition of "durable relationship"

With relation to the duration of the relationship and its relevance the Court found:

"Thus, a durable partnership will tend to be one of some duration, but that is not to say that the duration of the relationship is, in itself, a defining feature. The length of a relationship will be an important, and sometimes compelling, index of the degree of commitment between the couple, but it is perfectly possible for a committed long-term, what is often called a “serious” relationship, to exist between persons who have known one and other for a short time."

With regards to whether cohabitation is required the Court found:

"It would seem to me that cohabitation is in most cases a useful yardstick by which the durability of a relationship is assessed and by which it is possible to test whether persons are genuinely in a committed partnership"

Also the solicitors website which I linked stated

"It is beneficial to applications to now have confirmation that the Minister does not impose a mandatory two year cohabitation requirement and that the Minister should assess each case on its own particular facts."

--

So that seems to me to rule out familial relationships such as  Grandfather and Granddaughter for example, from falling into the definition of "durable relationship"?

The courts clearly intent durable relationship to me a committed cohabiting relationship. And there seems to be no set time limit on what a "durable relationship" is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not even close.

I would expect around a 30 to 35% turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭McFly85

Potentially. These referendums aren’t really asking the if the public consent to the spirit of the change, rather the wording of the change - the government have decided this is something they need to change to allow the law to be expanded. Like the Nice treaty changes were reworded after the no vote. Had we voted against gay marriage, it’s likely it would have been reworded and asked again.

So I expect a no vote will result in a review and rewording with more explicit terms, which wouldn’t be the worst thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

No. Roderick and Mary Lou are saying they will but that’s pure BS.

Obviously, there’ll be no re-run before we have a general election I.e. within the next 12 months. Whoever is in power after that election will have zero appetite to offer their backsides to the electorate for another kicking. And there is absolutely no pressing need for these referendums. In fact there is no reason whatever for a Government to try again because the amendments will either

(a) change nothing in practice or

(b) produce a Supreme Court judgement telling the Government it must do something completely unpredictable which the Government were not elected to do and which they fought tooth and nail through the courts to avoid.

Vote No, No and show the politicians and judges who owns the Constitution.

Helen McEntee on Virgin Media tonight with Michael McDowell in the last tv debate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He was dead right, Africans were taking advantage of that loophole but as usual lefties wanted it to remain as it was.

The amount of anchor babies who got automatic citizenship was ridiculous.

The current Government said they would not be running the referendums again on this issue during their lifetime.

But Sinn Fein said should they get into government they will run the referendums again. Making the referendum wordings on what the citizen assembly recommended originally.

--

I don't think it will be case of when Ireland voted no for the Lisbon Treaty in 2008. When the government had two goes, ran again 2009. That was important to the government these referendums are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

McDowell will show us how clueless McEntee is in her job. She will get McEnteed tonight and its going to be glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Thats the Coimisiún na Meán applying the brand new Digital Services Act. On X, I'm currently serving a 48hour stretch in the gulag for daring to use EU law in a quote.

Sidenote: A lad called Jeremy Godfrey is the Chairman of the Coimisiún na Meán. He's a former Civil Servant in the British government and also worked for the Chinese government. Godfrey has listed his priorities as tackling misogyny and foreign interference. Their Primary Media Officer is far leftist Síona Cahill, a Antifa member.

Post edited by 1800_Ladladlad on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

Again, it doesnt say it will do as much as possible.

Once again I repeat: I know it doesn't and never said it did!

Do you think the current government are doing as much as they possibly can to ensure women who are carers don't have to work?

Absolutely 100% they are not. Unfortunately none of the women's groups calling for a Yes vote have ever advocated for stay at home parents but only for the rights of women in the labour force.

If the government actually asked stay at home parents for their input and did not ignore studies they themselves conducted that found children would much prefer to be taken care of in their own homes by family members then they would be able to invest the resources they are putting into state subsidised child care into support for stay at home parents.

The Supreme Court will be hearing a case next month in which a mother providing 24 hour care for her son in her home is claiming her rights under Article 41.2 have not been fully vindicated by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was hoping they would have wheeled out O Gorman after he said last week McDowell was wrong but this is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

And they aren't, which is wrong and it should be change put to the electorate to change. I can only imagine the foaming atnthe mouth outrage at the proposal from some quarters.

It would be a complete waste of taxpayers money if they proposed it because as I said on numerous occasions here, the Constitution is read as gender neutral.

I didn't notice many people foaming at the mouth with outrage when we had a female Supreme Court Judge or President of the country. I can well imagine there would be a few FFFG supporters foaming at the mouth if Mary Lou becomes the first female Taoiseach though!

Ill rephrase, this will be the first time that the Constitution will place obligation on the State to attempt to provide support to families who have a a member who is disabled. It is also not possible for a person with a disability to being a Constitutional challenge either.

No it won't that is the reason so many the disability organisations are calling for a No vote. There is a Constitutional challenge being heard next month brought by the mother of a disabled person. Or do you mean a disabled person is unable to bring a Constitutional challenge on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

The debate shows such a world of difference between McDowell and McEntee. We have McDowell quoting case law, statutes, and examples, while McEntee is basically saying a whole lot of nothing, and contradicting other government TDs and Ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Wow she is atrocious, its a 100% no no for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Presenter is very good here on The Tonight Show. She has McEntee squirming.

McEntee had to throw Neale Mr Perfect Richmond under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Head kick and Ko to finish at the end by Mr McDowell 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Won't someone please think of the children Saturday morning if this doesn't pass is the best McEntee could come up with

Advertisement