Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Minister for Integration and Magic Money:

No spare beds... Its like saying we're full! OMG racist, OMG far-right!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Australia's border protection is still a lot better than Ireland's. We do have an open border up north, but that is only for Irish and British citizens in the Common Travel Area. We are an island on the edge of Europe, so why do we have people travelling through all of Europe to end up in Ireland and claim asylum? The thing is that they're economic migrants, picking countries that pay the best benefits and are lax about booting them out when they do arrive.

It needs to be sorted because we got a taste of what can happen further down the line like when it came to Brexit. People voted out of the EU on the pretence that it would stop immigration, but we all know that governments, especially Tory's love their source of cheap labour and since the UK left the EU the number that immigrated to the UK has risen. The EU could limit the numbers arriving in the EU if they truly wanted, but they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

I've said it before, the various governments of the day here since 2000 are happy to do nothing and let as many come in because they know a significant portion coming here used it as back door to get into the UK, often ones who were refused asylum especially Pakistani men, it was in the media years ago.

They know a lot of em will move on.

But when the UK rightly start talking about tearing up the special deal there will be howls from the government and people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Both on the same tack with housing, don't kid yourself.

Soc Dems haven't produced a costed plan either for the 50,000 annually.

What I said was not only are they similar in that regard, but that SF are very likely to hoover back votes based on turning ever so slightly populist on the antiimmigration front, here and there, while making it look like they are only advocating for local populations. Vis Claire Kirrane as I quoted earler. Who went off piste but no reprimands fron ML.

Soc Dems won't do that, and will lose votes because they won't be populist.

Surely you can see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,335 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Looks like Leo supports a Rwanda style policy for Ireland according to the Irish Examiner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well thats great Humphreys told us that 857 deportation orders have been signed last year but as usual we got no information on how many of them have actually left the country.

Maybe its because she hasn't a clue seeing as its "self deportation" to use Helens favourite phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I see where Paul Murphy named a few of the beer bellied patriots who were involved in stirring up the Dublin riots. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

What exactly is better about Australia's border protection?

I can see they've had some impact on the number of boats arriving, but because of their distance from neighbours they only ever received a very small number of larger boats. Not at all comparable to the situation in the UK or Mediterranean.

It seems you want the UK and EU to deal with immigration on our behalf, like several other posters here.

But how do you propose they do this? The EU isn't geographically isolated as Australia is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭enricoh

Fair play to you - I thought no one paid any attention to what Paul Murphy had to say on anything. I stand corrected!

Is it better if they had 6 packs instead of beer belly's or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

And still, three years later, nobody in the MSM has asked him - 'Why TF did he tweet to the world to come to Ireland for their own door accom in a few months and what was his rationale for doing so?' - They all just forgot to ask that question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Good thing RTE included a picture of a bed with that article or I wouldn't have a clue what they were talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

No it wouldn't matter really. What is essential though is a tricolour flag, an ability to roar and shout, be on state benefits, live not more than 10miles from the ma's House. Oh and be a bit dumb,that's essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Will be interesting to see if SF do pivot towards a slightly anti immigration sentiment, I just dont see it happening personally, although It would win them votes and it would accord with their voters.

Although I dont see it happening, I agree the pull of populism is strong with SF, so it is possible.

Especially now that they are losing vote share.

Well, they don't let anyone just waltz on right in. The boats have decreased because they know Australia won't be a pushover in that sense. In Ireland, we had Helen McEntee grant an amnesty for a couple of thousand illegals here (Before you even ask, yes i do think the Irish that are illegal in the U.S. should be deported also)

I'm fine with genuine cases and skills that we need like doctors etc but i just don't feel we should be taking everyone who chances their arm and already deceiving the state trying to get in. I want Ireland to deal with immigration and by that i mean when the EU says to take more, we say no. Donald Tusk, the EU poster boy, even refused taking in some for Poland. In this country we have yes men unable to refuse and must always be the good kid in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

How do you explain the UK struggling with the asylum issue? They are not even EU members (and their public were categorically assured by the right wing Brexit Godfathers, including Farage, that leaving the EU would reduce asylum seekers).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

This poster doesn't explain anything.

It's the usual angry rhetoric but no detail.

How is the UK struggling with the asylum issue? It's not much, really. The Tory's are the business class, and they don't really want to limit immigration to the UK because they stand to gain from increases in a vast pool of cheap labour. I think it applies to most countries, including the U.S. as well. The British people and the American people are being lied to and given the run a round by both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

On some level you have to respect SF in sticking by their principles of pro immigration.

They'd benefit a lot by electorally making noises about being more restrictive or adding say Nigeria to the safe list.

(Side note - the explosion in population in Africa particularly Nigeria is mind blowing. Just Nigeria alone is set to have a population more than the entire United States)

Nigeria expected to have larger population than US by 2050 https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/jun/13/nigeria-larger-population-us-2050?CMP=share_btn_url

MM is steadfastly defending open borders and the free for all.

However we are seeing Leo make noises about wanting to take action. ( Of course he isn't genuine)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Its interesting that the department of integration doesn't just pay for hotel rooms for each of the 1,100 men

Maybe finally someone somewhere in the department has copped onto the role of incentives in this. Put them up in hotels and you just encourage more to come. But i fully expect them to cave in soon.

Big mistake also to up the payment to these men to 110 a week. That is often more than their weekly wage in their home countries. We're trying to keep the numbers down and they have essentially trebled the cash payment. Bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Not sure SF would benefit from a move on immigration. SF are basically composed of two camps - you have the working class republicans who do not like this asylum farce one bit and could easily vote far right instead. Then you also have young woke idealistic student types who love open borders and could easily vote Greens or SocDems. SF are very much riding two horses on this and trying to keep the thing together. Hopefully, they'll continue to leak from both camps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

With 1,000 sleeping on the streets, some of them children, the jackasses who claimed Ireland wasn't full a few weeks of have been proved wrong. Belatedly it seems that at least some of the political class now recognise Ireland has no capacity to accommodate more people and must introduce disincentives.

The idiots who insisted that arguing for less immigration was racist are largely to blame for the current situation. Some fools even argued that immigration wasn't linked to the housing crisis. They'd be happy to leave immigrant kids off to live all their lives in hotel rooms I suppose. Ridiculous virtue signalling has had real life consequences for both indigenous Irish people and immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Gas isn't it, the government are consistently 365+ days behind what the rationally minded public are saying. What was considered far right last year, is now coming out of Leo and Rod's mouths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

With a thousand immigrants on the streets, thousands more in hotels, some idiots still won't accept there has been too much immigration! In their world there should have been more houses left lying around until they were needed. Jackasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You don't think there should be more houses? With over 13,000 officially homeless and many thousands more living in friends and families homes?

Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Meanwhile...back at the ranch

Frightening numbers arriving for what is shaping up to be a record year - 'We must do more' - 'We must build more houses', ffs!

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/557fa-march-2024/

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

The lip service has begun. Expect to see the two main parties tell us they'll definitely get around to having a look at immigration once they're voted back in.

Cool, lets just continue urban sprawl indefinitely, and GP,s Teachers, Dentists, Gardai, these will just spring up from the ground in these newly created commuter towns?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

There's a YouTuber just put up a video of the tents around IPO today.

I think it might be frowned upon to link videos since I have had posts deleted before.

He counted 200 tents in the vicinity!

If that many are able to brave winter i dread to think what it will be like in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭enricoh

That's a d hotel in drogheda required each week for asylum seekers. Whatever ukranians arrive on top of that. Whatever family reunifications for those asylum seekers given the nod to stay on top of that.

Just build more paddy!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement