Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

McDowell made a great point tonight- the government should have taken the time to clearly define a wide myriad of relationships that could be constituted as "durable"- but hey, that would have been too much work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think that is one of the main reasons the proposed care amendment is only going to include the family as carers. The government/government agencies did not want the responsibility

They could have had this instead of the proposed A42 as recommended by the citizen assembly but did not go with it:

"The State recognises that care provided by the home, family and community gives society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved."

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I have the impression Baker was a government adviser prior to the referendum, she seems to be very positive on most of it and brushes off negatives by saying those are questions for future referendums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Advertisement

To look at that debate as a complete outsider, there is no way you would believe she is one of the most senior politicans in the country. It's like she was a transition year student doing her first debate. She is far too used to regurgitating the same banal soundbites over and over and that's what she did in the 'debate'.

Exactly I am well aware of that, which makes me question some of her effusiveness on any positive and brushing away some negative's by saying that is for the future. Her tone is similar to Mary McAleese's address to the National Women's council. Crusade like a step in the journey attitude etc

No one can be 100% positive on something like that without having advised the government on it in my opinion.

Big full page Q and A with her in the Irish times a view days ago, although she was representing the Electoral Commisson. She is clearly leaning YES in all but name.

She did not mention any potential conflicts for example between the protection of marriage and durable relationships which would be viewed as the foundation of the family.

She brushed off concerns about the care referendum by saying it is not a carer's referendum etc

Most notably she said when asked is the constitution just symbolism she said. I would not say symbolism it is about values.

Then ended the article with vote the way you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

You are very much implying the Constitution does say that. This what you said.

The state will honour it's guarantee by doing all it can to ensure that lack of money will not prevent a mother to have to join the labour force which would have a detrimental effect on the common good and therefore society

I am not implying anything. How many times do I have to say this? I am trying to explain to you how the various Articles in the Family section of the Constitution relate to each other and, rather than just constantly posting the Articles verbatim, explaining them in plain English. There is no point in asking me again because we are just going round in circle.

As you have admitted, the State isnt homouring that guarantee.. When have the State ever done that?

The only time the state honoured the guarantee was when they introduced the deserted wives benefit and the unmarried mothers allowance back in the 70s. Because those payments were not available to men due to Article 41.2, and in recognition of the fact that there were deserted husbands, widowers and unmarried fathers who under Article 40 should be treated equally to women, those payments amalgamated and became the Lone Parent Allowance payable to both women and men and that then became what is currently known as the One Parent Family Payment.

Do you think the mother will win the case?

I hope she will as it will be so beneficial to thousands of other similar families but no one can ever accurately predict the outcome of a Supreme Court case.

I'd one is running a referendum I know if there is a massive cost to.asking another question with it. I doubt it tbh.

Sorry no idea what you're saying there.

I.didnt say People would be foaming at the mouth because we had a woman President or Supreme Court judge though

Who said you did?

Why won't it? Also, AFAIK very few are calling for a no vote, but many aren't calling for a Yes. There is nothing in the Constitution that says the government must provide care to People with a disability or make any attempt to support families who provide care.

Exactly. But, as the upcoming case in April shows, the state is being tested as to whether it is vindicating the Constitutional right of a mother who is caring for her disabled child.

Putting a new section in the Constitution called "Care" containing an Article that says care is the sole responsibility of the family means that there never will be any obligation on the government. It will require another referendum to oblige the state to provide care beyond the home and that could take another 30 years if it ever were to happen.

AFAIK very few are calling for a no vote, but many aren't calling for a Yes

Any group that receives and wishes to continue to receive state funding are very aware of the rather chilling Kim Jong Un like statement by O'Gorman:

During an interview with The Irish Times, Mr O’Gorman said “any organisation that sees itself as progressive and as wanting to advance progressive change” would have to explain why they do not support the plans.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/01/01/progressive-organisations-must-explain-any-decision-not-to-support-referendum-says-minister/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

McDowell was arguing for that even during the Oireachtas debates but the Government guillotined the debates because ….ehhh….International Womens Day!

Here’s my guess. Roderick and some extreme elements within the Greens were controlling this process and wanted the most “inclusive” language possible I.e. “families” means whatever your into at the moment. FF/FF killed the Citizens Assembly proposal on carers because they hate the idea of judges telling the Government to spend more. As a compromise, FF/FG let the Greens have “durable relationships”. The Opposition parties didn’t want to challenge the “elite consensus” but SF will have a major post-Mortem if these referendums fail.

So we have BS amendments supported by every single party politician and opposed by growing numbers of ordinary people who had no interest in Article 41 until these referendums.

A No,No result would be a masive wake-up call to the political establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭highpitcheric

whys it called a referendum on "gender equality".

when its about 'durable relationships' and state/family care responsibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A No,No result would be a masive wake-up call to the political establishment.

Will it though? It's been apparent since the second divorce referendum that there's a huge, 'right wing' in various senses, constituency out there largely to overwhelmingly unrepresented within the political system but the political system has pretty much ignored that constituency and carried on trucking. You guys want to vote down a European treaty or two? Okay we'll just keep making you vote again until you come up with the 'right' answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Would be a hard sell, even for a brazen government. “We know you exercised your democratic right to turn down these referenda, but you need to go again and no we still can’t define a durable relationship”

Neale Richmond did wonders for the No side with his Freudian slip on immigration, what this is really all about. Thanks for single handedly winning the Referendums for the No side!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It would be handy if Mr Perfect himself, Neale Richmond, clarified what he meant, before the polls open tomorrow. I suspect he's been gagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Does polling suggest a yes or no win ? As anyone I speak to is saying no, plus going by boards it's a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

You'd have to wonder what FG can do with someone as inept as McEntee now. She's been out of her depth on literally every TV appearance I can remember.

TY debate rote-learning stuff last night. Playing a character, we knew it, she knew it and you could tell she spent the week impatiently hoping for Wednesday night to be over

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

She is not allowed advise the government as she is a Supreme Court judge. That would be a fairly incredible scandal if she was.

McEntee has spent the last 18 months or so literally giving the same generic soundbite over and over to media, i.e. "I am appalled by this, the perpetrators will be brought to justice". Her entire performance last night showed her as someone who cannot debate and was completly out of her depth. She resorted to regurgitating the same banal sentimental nonsense over and over, and could not counter any of McDowell's arguments in any meaningful way.

Going forward, I can't see how some moot her as a potential canditate for FG leader and Taoiseach- she simply doesn't have the presence, wit or ability to debate and get her point across. There is zero passion there.

I am not implying anything. How many times do I have to say this? I am trying to explain to you how the various Articles in the Family section of the Constitution relate to each other and, rather than just constantly posting the Articles verbatim, explaining them in plain English. There is no point in asking me again because we are just going round in circle

Your claim that the Constitution(read as a whole document) guarantees the State must do as much as possible to ensure woman don't work is wrong. I'm happy to leave at that.

Sorry no idea what you're saying there

If a referendum if being run I doubt there would be a massive cost to asking an additional question. But it is fairly low down the list anyway.

Exactly. But, as the upcoming case in April shows, the state is being tested as to whether it is vindicating the Constitutional right of a mother who is caring for her disabled child.

Putting a new section in the Constitution called "Care" containing an Article that says care is the sole responsibility of the family means that there never will be any obligation on the government. It will require another referendum to oblige the state to provide care beyond the home and that could take another 30 years if it ever were to happen.

There will be an obligation on the government to strive to support the provision of care by family members. There is currently no obligation on the government to do that. The woman taking the current case would be in a position to take the case on whether the State is vidicating its Constitutional obligation to do that. But it will go further, by allowing people beyond mothers take a case.

Any group that receives and wishes to continue to receive state funding are very aware of the rather chilling Kim Jong Un like statement by O'Gorman:

During an interview with The Irish Times, Mr O’Gorman said “any organisation that sees itself as progressive and as wanting to advance progressive change” would have to explain why they do not support the plans

It was a ridiculous thing to say by ROG. However, the disability organisations are not supporting the referendum as they aren't calling for a Yes vote. So there would be no difference in calling for a No vote.

I think they are in a very difficult position. The amendment provides some onus on the government to support the care provided by family members to a famiky member with a disability but it also excludes people outside of scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

He hasn't been seen since then. Leo didn't help the yes side either with his comments and neither did Martin with his "let the courts decide" comment the other night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think we'll see quite an urban/ rural divide and an age divide. To generalise: rural and older people voting NO, younger and urban voting Yes.

But biggest factor will be who'll be bothered to vote and here I'll put my money on those who are definite Nos and rural/ older people.

So I reckon both will be defeated 65/35

OGorman debating Peader Tobin on RTE Radio 1 on 1 o clock news

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I know loads in their 20s/30s voting No to this. I don’t know anyone voting yes to both in fact

Everyone I know is voting No/No. I realise I may be in my own little bubble but everywhere I look, especially in the past week, the No sides look like they have the momentum. Here's hoping that apathy and indifference won't cost the no side in terms of no-shows at the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Is there not a moratorium on referendum reporting/canvassing the day before a vote or is that just for general elections?

Or has it been gotten rid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This is the reason I am voting no.

Not defining the concept of a durable relationship opens the country up to years of wasted money and time on legal challenges. If the law is supposed to be clear and concise, why are we introducing ambiguity and uncertainty?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Paddy Power has the family referendum as a slight favourite to pass, they have the care referendum as 50:50.

My guess is the family referendum will pass, the care referendum won't.

They said on radio it will be last debate before moritorium kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tarvis

Moratorium starts 2 pm

• Advertisement
Advertisement