Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Hoping to see Gomez at left back and Bradley at right back, Robertson to come on as a sub if needed and can be for Bradley as Gomez can move to RB

Endo, Mac & Szobo

Salah, Nunez & Diaz

Need to win, start as strong as possible, 2 week break from the 17th and we should have more players back for the 31st such as Jones and Gravenberch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Great! Hopefully 20 minutes or so for him and Dom at the end to tune them up a bit for the weekend.

Wonder if Dom might even start and play a half, or 60 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So many ways of looking at it but ultimately, and despite Joe's recent good form, I think there is very little Robertson doesn't do better.

Better awareness, better aggression, more width, way better ball distribution.

He hasn't been 100% yet but without him there pushing Foden back, I'd fear Joe will be getting doubled up on by Foden and Walker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Liverpool travelling squad: Gomez, Endo, Van Dijk, Konate, Diaz, Szoboszlai, Nunez, Mac Allister, Salah, Adrian, Gakpo, Elliott, Tsimikas, Robertson, Clark, Gordon, McConnell, Kelleher, Koumas, Quansah, Bradley, Musialowski, Mrozek.

Interesting to see Musialowski there, haven't heard much about him for ages

I'll admit I had to google Mrozek, 20yr old keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I presume Musialowski is travelling because Danns is ruled out due to a concussion he picked up against forest

He was out injured himself until last week too, so who knows, he might have otherwise been involved with the other kids over the past month.

Seems to have evolved from a tricky winger to a CF these days too (which I'd not realised). Be nice to see him get a run out after he's disappeared over the past few seasons.

Hadn't seen that. 85th minute and he finished the game, that's probably not great 😕

• Advertisement

Looks like City are resting Walker, Stones, Silva, De Bruyne, and Fodan tonight, with the weekend in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Well, it'd be fairly embarrassing to lose to Copenhagen......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Mac was giving the presser with Klopp earlier so you'd imagine he'll play.

Klopp also hinted that we would play a strong team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,535 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I like the progression of Summerville , has a lot more to come, a lot of talent there, only 22, but has a year in the PL under his belt, is progressing daily, high ceiling. Would be a good squad signing. So much stronger now than this skinny kid who beat liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,535 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

16 goals, 9 assists for someone of his age, and playing position is good, even in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Talisman

Summerville had a purple patch in the Premier League early last season and was anonymous afterwards.

The YT highlights of his exploits in the Championship won't show the games where he didn't perform, such as against the likes of Leicester, Southampton, West Brom, Stoke City and Preston. He also offered nothing in the League Cup against Salford and Farke chose to keep him on the bench until the last 10 minutes against Chelsea in the FA Cup.

His numbers look good and he's a talented winger but he needs to deliver in the big games to show he's progressing as a player.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Klopp is no idiot. He will have taken a pragmatic decision to prioritise the Europa as the best chance of more silverware this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jack747

I’m still hoping he’ll go with a weak team for this. The league is the league , we have to go hell for leather for it while it’s still in our grasp, if Europa campaign suffers, so be it.

We can’t really complain if we pick up injuries playing lads 3 days before a potential title decider. Would be madness in my opinion but what do I know , Klopp is a genius after all . I personally hope he plays a similar team to Southampton and deals with the consequences next Thursday.

I just think we can easily put out a weakened team and still recover at Anfield if needs be as long as it is only a 1 or 2 goal defeat.

The next leg on Thursday week will have us having the same discussion again though with United in the FA Cup on the Sunday. If it were anyone else I'd be happy to go weakened for that game as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think it will be a mixed team.

Kelleher

bradley-quansah-vvd-tsimikas

mac-Endo-clark

elliott-Gakpo-Diaz

vvd and Konate do a half each. Gomez comes on for any of bradly/endo. Szobo and salah get the last half hour also. Nunez comes on if we are in trouble.

Ideally you’d rest Mac, maybe Elliott could go in for him and Gordan starts wide? Hard to know.

I'd say Darwin might start, get some miles back in his legs. Maybe he comes off at 65ish for Mo

Elliott needs a rest, he's played over 6 hours of footie in the last fortnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Some players need minutes tho. Id say he wants to start Salah and Dom this weekend. So they will get the first half at the minimum tonight and hopefully get us a goal or 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,180 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah I think Klopp might try to pick a team that will keep it tight, and not let the tie get out of hand. It's not his style, but a 0-0 is not a bad result. And obviously pick up no more injuries. But because of the hand that is played with so many first team players unavailable, there is somewhat of a choice to be made.

Working back from Sunday, I don't think that both Salah & Nunez will be able to start that game at the same time. I think Nunez is more likely to start, but he also could be a very good sub to bring on on 60 mins with his energy and pace against a tiring defence. But you're running the risk that the game is out of our hands at that stage. Salah is a brilliant to sub to have, but again running the risk with the game being lost before he comes on. Maybe doesn't bring the same energy or pace, but does bring a more steadied classiness and cool head. Can pick a pass or score. Because of the minutes played last weekend, I think Nunez is more likely to start Sunday. Does Klopp risk him starting 2 games in 4 days? I think Gakpo starts this one instead, possibly to try tire out Rodri & Stones

In midfield, Endo is probably gonna have to start both. MacAllister too, but hopefully MacAllister is just a 45or 60 minute job tonight. Rodri & Stones played a combined 70 mins last night between them. Hopefully Szobozlai can play 30+ mins tonight to get some minutes into his legs and rhythym. Maybe it's MacAllister & Szobozlai that do 45 each. I'd start Clark again as the 3rd midfielder as Elliott will probably be used in his roaming 3rd attacker role.

Bradley Tsimikas at FB as Gomez & Robbo will start Sunday IMO. I'd rather have Bradley be coming on for the last 20 when the game opens up rather than Gomez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Thud

Do young lads need as much rest time?

I remember at that age you could play several sports several times a week no bother...obviously not at the same level

It's not about rest time, it's about the load placed on them while coming back from injury & recovery time before the biggest match of the season. Some Man City players had a week off, so will obviously be fresher, and also have a virtually fully fit squad to pick from.

I think you are giving Sparta Prague a little too much respect. If Liverpool struggle in this game it will be because we fielded a vastly under strength team.

This Sparta Prague team made Todd Cantwell look like Lionel Messi, I'm not joking. They were second best to Rangers in the group stage. In Prague, Rangers sat back and soaked up the pressure for 70 minutes. After that they began to come forward and had two golden opportunities to win the game (0-0). At Ibrox, Rangers looked likely to score every time they went forward (2-1). Galatasaray were comfortable against them until the sending off in their last game. The three goals Sparta scored in the final 20 minutes against 10 men was not a fair reflection of the tie (6-4 on aggregate).

Today is an opportunity to put the tie to bed and I think that will be in Klopp's thinking. There is no point in handing them the initiative in the tie and have them come to Anfield next week with the intention of causing an upset. If we put the tie out of reach for them today, the return leg will be a comfortable affair.

Yeah I probably am! But don't want to under-estimate them at the same time. You've done the work for me on the group stage and didn't realise that they were that bit lower down in terms of quality / lucky.

I guess, really, what I mean is that I can accept a draw result tonight if it means that we are fresher on Sunday and able to give a good account of ourselves so that we can compete and hopefully win that game. I'd hate to win tonight and be picked apart Sunday because of tired legs in players like Robbo / Endo / MacAllister / Szobozlai / Nunez / Salah playing too much tonight.

I guess it's just the absolute fear I have of something happening to Kelleher, or even just the likes of Mac, VVD, Diaz, Konate and Joe getting feck all rest time versus their City courerparts.

I'd be satisfied for the game to be 0-0 going to Anfield if we were able to rest a rake of ppl for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Advertisement

Poor Elliott never gets a break 🙈

Glad to see Virgil resting, and Darwin starting. It's a strong team, hopefully we can empty the bench in comfort after an hour 🤞

Way stronger than I thought.

Fingers crossed everyone sees it out.

I hate having to watch Liverpool play with this inbuilt fear of injuries but that's what these few months have done to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

Salah and Szobo on the bench. Would have preferred Endo and Darwin left out

I'm surprised Elliott is starting, I expected Bobby Clark to keep his place. Robertson must need the minutes to sharpen up for the weekend, I expected Tsimikas in the left back position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,303 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I didn't consider it when I was expecting a weak selection but as another poster said, Klopp knows this is the best opportunity at adding another trophy this season.

Elliott is currently 12th on the list of minutes played this season for Liverpool, so it's not like he is being over worked.

But he has been playing a lot of minutes lately with 76-78-120-90 in the last 2 weeks. A few appearances of the bench before that run. A bit stoppy-starty in terms of heavy lifting in a short period of time.

Gakpo is doing similar numbers too.

Ah yeah, he's been super sub for the first half of the season. I do just mean the last couple of weeks. I mean I'm knackered after just watching that much football 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

Strong team. Would be very nice to get a win. Cmon red men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I like that team. Beat whats in front of us now and then move on to the next game.

Europa League is there for the taking, so make sure we take it.

The league? Don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,419 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think it was more likely to play a strong tea tonight seeing as it's away. If the lads do a job tonight then it'll be kids and guys needing fitness in Anfield for the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭Damien360

What channel folks ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Cracking start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,805 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Great start

Can't ask for more than that

Thanks folks.

When are they planning fixing the thanks bug ?

Nice goal ! Missed why we got peno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Perfect penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,805 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Excellent awareness from Mac pressing the defender. Clipped as he nicked in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement