Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How far does an EV really go? On a cold horrible day in winter - several current EVs tested

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It does not need to be explained. But when a poster comes into an EV forum telling actual EV owners that EV’s can’t do this and that when it’s incorrect then I think actual EV owners are entitled to argue their point.

No problem if an EV doesn’t suit you, it’s a fuel source. Nothing else. Nobody should get hot and bothered by someone else’s fuel choice for the car, home, business etc

Its the nonsense posts that are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If i was doing 600km journeys most weeks of the year i wouldnt bother with an EV either to be honest, you could easily make it work (give you are travelling to where there is an abundance of chargers) if you wanted to but you dont want to so no big deal.

But the snarky i dont suffer from bladder or concentration issues doesnt serve your post very well, these arent guidelines EV owners came up with, its no better than the i can have 4 pints and drive perfectly well brigade.

Cheap home charging is pretty achievable on regular d/n rates if you dont want to have a shorter super low priced window, i generally go for one of those because i run a heat pump as well so between that and the car half of my total energy usage is at a 17c night rate.

Also given the mileage you are doing id wager depreciation on whatever you buy will be high, EV depreciation is topical at the moment, that will flip again i'm sure as ICE vehicles phase out.

in summary you are arguing that for you an EV would be inconvenient, under the circumstances you have outlined id probably agree but that doesnt change the fact that for a lot people they are perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭micks_address

to be fair poster said no chargers at their destination.. i took that to mean they are going to a building office/hotel that doesnt have charging outside.. of course there are chargers in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

It's the person doing 600km journeys most weeks of the year who should be buying an EV!

They're the ones who'll save a shitload of money and, let's not forget, produce less pollution!

• Advertisement

He reckons he won’t save basis the calcs he did

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They won't have a petrol station at their destinations either. They are unwilling to stop at petrol stations on route.

So after the first day how do they do 600 km of the trip on the third and subsequent days.

Maybe it's an atomic car they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

600km journeys at the moment means an almost full top up on public charging which is no savings on petrol or diesel

100kms a day every day and home charging is where you see the benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Some stats that I find interesting from that

MG4 has no heat pump - you learn something new every day

The ID7 without heat pump isn't massively less efficient than the one with

The on board computers from BYD are giving questionable efficiency measures. But the Seal and the Dolphin give the same kWh/mi in the test which is impressive for the larger car

Will they be stuck in that office for days on end? Car had to be parked somewhere?

• Advertisement

you are comparing 5 minutes at a petrol/diesel pump to at least 30 minutes at a fast charger if its available and working?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

Casati talked about doing that 600km round trip 40 times a year, not daily? Basically once a week for work.

He also said there's no destination charging where he stays in Dublin. That seems reasonable. He could be staying at a friend's house/apartment, or in a hotel that doesn't have destination charging. My limited experience of hotel destination chargers is that if they are available then the few that are working of the few that they have seem to be taken by someone (usually in a 530e) who has arrived at 5pm and leaves it plugged in until they leave the next morning. So even those hotels that have destination chargers can't be relied on.

A friend who's a rep says that even though some of the companies he visits have 20/30 chargers for staff, none of them have a charger for reps. So he's also dependent on public chargers.

If you don't have small kids, then it's normal to drive for at least 3 hour without needing to stop. In the diesel, we would do 4 no problem, but in the EV we can still manage 3 hours between breaks.

We do a bit higher than average mileage and expect fuel savings in the region of €2000 per year with a roughly 60/10/30 split of night/day/public charging. Over the next 10 years while we have the car, it will even out the higher purchase cost vs a replacement diesel and be a much nicer place to spend that driving time. It will also be better for air quality and global warming than our previous diesel. It's not going to solve all the world's problems and whatabout US/China/Russia/etc but I think it's better for my kids' futures than getting a new Tiguan for another 10 years.

And novels aren't the sole preserve of Casati :)

I'm taking the poster comment at face value like you suggested, no stops.

You seem to have changed it into, it can be done, but it takes 25 mins longer. This being the worst case scenario. I could then argue the worse case for a diesel doing 100% very short journeys at low speed in a urban environment, and all the DPF EGR issues that will cause. Oh and they don't have time to go to a petrol station. They want to fill from a home tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

Yes this is the reality - I’m staying at house with street parking, I lock up the car and cycle or bus around Dublin. I could after work finishes, head back to the house and then drive off somewhere for a high speed charger but honesty I don’t have the time for that messing around, traffic in Dublin is a nightmare too. This is common for a lot of people.

the point is refuelling is quicker and more reliable with an ICE car on the public network.. if i had to depend on it for my driving i dont think id be in an EV.. for 90% of my driving the public charging network is irrelevant.. i dont know why ev drivers seem determined to tell ICE drivers that their journeys or issues can be 'survived' in an EV.. i couldnt care less..

There’s ample 22kw AC chargers in Dublin that you leave it for the day. No fuss. Traffic in Dublin dies down outside of commuting hours.

EV is not for you, fine but there’s a difference between saying it “can’t” be done and “I don’t want “ to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Your wasting your time explaining your situation, the most vocal opposition to you live in Dublin and have no need for public charging, the odd time they do its a relaxing day trip or a pre planned route, saying there is 100's of chargers means nothing if the one you want is not near you or in use, I would be the same distance as you from Dublin, I would try to fit as many stops in as possible, delaying or passing one stop, to catch another as it closes earlier, I would have no desire to change my routine to try make an EV work, for no benefit other than saving a pacific islander, good points on the fuel savings, for the average driver doing 12000 km a year its only a 1000 euro on fuel, I am all for saving money, but some of the recommendations made here boarder on the ridiculous especially when models had an ice equivalent costing 10 k less, some EV drivers have strong bladders, but if there is a queue then its a chance to talk to fellow EV drivers,

I agree very defensive to an almost fanatical position, I cannot post a "lol" at a joke now without a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GPoint

Echo chamber here.

People give examples where EV don’t work for them well , yet others calling this a BS and defend EVs blaming people of not wanting to live with EV limitations.

"...There is a slight flaw in the argument a car/driver only needs to do 400km daily.. "

I just stretched it to 600 so its outside the range of all EVs so can't be done without a stop..

If you not doing it every day then you can simply charge the following day. You also don't need 100%, you go between 10-80 to get the fastest charging and shortest stop. The idea you have to "fill up" to 100% in the middle of a journey is mostly obsolete.

If your a sales rep or want to 3hr+ none stop journeys buy a diesel with a massive tank and 1000km+ range.

Why you'd want to do massive mileage in an EV and only use the most expensive fuel is quite bizarre.

• Advertisement

If you can't care less why are posting on this thread.

Thread title is long distance journeys in an EV. What else would we taking about in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GPoint

OP could have bought EV for local trips then changed a job and now have to commute to Dublin?

Trouble is EV is not a universal transportation for all . You buy it and think you d drive it around your local town but then you relocate and suddenly it no longer work for you. Never happens with ICE car.

Preempting counter arguments here saying you must adjust lifestyle and plan for charging but personal transport should not be limiting how you want to travel .

So it's doesn't matter if your destination has a charger. Because you are getting there on a bike or bus. The car could be parked anywhere for hours.

Lol ..

I have checked and within walking distance of where I stay, there are two such chargers - but I’d have to pay on street parking charge of €2.00 per hour and it only allows max 3 hour ticket so no its no use. Often I only stay one night eg might arrive at 8pm and after meetings head home the next day, so I simply don’t have free time to go further and cycle or bus back from leaving the car charging.

High speed motorway charging is a better option

I could counter that people give examples where EV work great for them yet others call this BS and defend ICE and go into all the reasons why EV wouldnt work for them, the looming spectre of queuing endlessly at broken chargers being the most common example (in 4.5 years it has never happened to me though)

Of course it could happen with an ICE car, i had a BMW m3 that i sold because my driving requirements changed, it was fine when i was doing 5-7k per year, it wasnt totally inappropriate when i was doing 15k for loads of reasons.

Not sure it me your referring to but I do max 320km non stop and defo don’t do 600km every day! In my post I said 40 times pa but it might be just 30 trips and some of them a bit shorter. I do about 25k total pa maybe a bit more.

• Advertisement

What happens if you buy a diesel then change jobs and only do lots of short slow speed driving?

... and we are back to goal post shifting.

Advertisement