Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Nice and sunny today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Cracking day today from about 10am onwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Thanks for that guys. You have eased my worries.

I was there about 2 years ago and it was uncomfortable but I’ve just been told that was in august so hopefully June treats me better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Yes after a poor start it turned out a lovely day here in Dublin...we've not had much in a way of Spring weather yet bar today and a few days in late February...hopefully things will change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Must say I'm loving these bright mornings and evenings and finally some dry weather to go along with it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Lovely morning here in Dublin..greatto have it bright before 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It cleared up to a beautiful afternoon and evening in Dublin yesterday. And a beautiful, bright morning now with a chilly breeze. Surprised to see the fields glistening white with frost though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The very wet theme of February continues into March, another wet miserable morning and already over 25mm has fallen and we still in the first week of March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭pauldry

Quiet enough weather in the Northwest now after the snow last week. Was 12c yesterday which was pleasant in the sun. Spring is probably the most benign of all our seasons with March to May usually bringing little in the way of extremes bar rain sometimes.

As for Summer I'd imagine more rain at times with the odd warm or very warm spell. I don't foresee a 1995 myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Since the very dry year of 2021 into 2022 we flipped into an extremely overall wet pattern since September 2nd 2022. Autumn 2022 was a washout, as was much of winter 2022/2023 with the exception of February. Spring 2023 was fairly wet particularly March 2023. It stayed unsettled all the way till mid May 2023 and then 2 to 3 weeks of dry weather. 2nd week of June 2023 turned unsettled again and this lead of a soaking wet June, July and August, a deluge ridden summer of 2023. A warm and dry first week to September then gave way back to a very wet pattern for the rest of Autumn 2023 and now we have just come out of a mostly very mild and deluge ridden winter. We are not even a week into March 2024 and many places are already well above average with rainfall. This extended overall spell of very wet conditions will hopefully come to an end soon. I am hoping for a significant pattern change over the next few months in time to deliver some decent summer weather and hopefully a dryer autumn and winter period compared to the past 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Think an often dry period will come at some point . Think it's only a matter of time before we have a switch over. Who knows heading into spring/summer 2025 could be talking about drought conditions lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It has just been so damn wet in Cork, the relentless rain of this winter has decimated my lawn which was immaculate late summer (thanks to all the warm rain!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

A major sudden stratospheric warming began on Monday and this 3rd attempt at SSW this year in as many months looks to linger, with winds staying reversed for a while. This could eventually work down into the troposphere and affect weather patterns, increasing chances of high latitude blocking and colder weather in a few weeks or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭pureza

Quite the lack of global warming in evidence on the approach into Hel this afternoon

The Ice roads looking remarkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

And by the time that its effects could become noticeable in our part of the world, we'll be just passing the spring equinox so depending on wind source, we could even get some half decent temperatures as we head into April if an east wind has a continental source. Eastern counties would be rather chilly though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm hoping we see a big improvement by June, an end to the monthly deluges and a warm/dryish summer followed by an anticyclonic Autumn. My wish for winter 2024/2025 is for it to be dryer than this winter just gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wonder will we have to wait for El Niño to completely fade away to go back to a drier phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Light frost on car at 6am. I actally think the rest of the morning was alot more pleasant as by afternoon well cold with overcast skies in that breeze.

Great break from the rain all the same

9⁰ Meath

Pig of a day again here in tipp. Feels like we are getting every last drop of rain here,going to get at least half an inch of rain alone today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am hoping for a settled spell sometime in April so I can paint the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

I am hoping for a settled spell any time ..........

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Weather hasn't been half bad in Dublin since the horrendous Monday night, if a bit breezy.

Enjoying a lovely morning here at Howth this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Oh wow, that's beautiful. The golden sun and the golden fur bushes. That should be framed sryan 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭cheezums

Relentlessly grim down south. Badly need a bit of spring sun and warmth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely week of Spring weather. Dry for the most part. The grass is growing faster now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

There was alot of grass growth from the end of January and all the way through February. Gave the lawn it's first cut last week and since then I haven't noticed any grass growth because it's been rather chilly since March 1st. I think the temperature has to be 11C or more for grass growth and daytime values have been stuck in single digits since February 29th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Feels like it has been autumn since the warm spell broke start of Sept, at least the days are getting longer, but could really do with a bit of warmth and some dry calm weather soon. It hasn't felt like spring yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Windy dull cold I guess it’s a step up

on windy wet cold but only just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

that easterly wind today would tear the skin off you, this morning was lovely though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That is one of the most gorgious pictures I've ever seen of an Irish coastline, wow, seriously I reckon that's sellable.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Eibhir

Thursday and Friday have been 2 very cold days for me. Portlaoise was around 8c and back home Laois/Kilkenny border, 5c. No real wind in Portlaoise. Serious wind chill at home.

Decent drying but I don't recall the fields being wetter ever.

My mam has a weather saying, apt for the past few days.. 'Welcome the cold blast from the North, but lie low when March blows its East Winds' 😊

Maybe it's a false memory thing but these days feel a bit like 'traditional' March days from decades ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭appledrop

Jaysus that was one cold evening for standing on the sidelines at the football pitch!

At least the kids are running around, felt like depths of winter with that wind!

I was well wrapped up with the warm coat, gloves, hat, scarf and warm socks and winter boots but my feet were still like blocks of ice by the end!

At least we have had some sunny weather at times during the week.

Last Saturday morning was cold but stunning until the rain came in afternoon.

We spent a lovely few hours out in the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Likewise, on sideline of a hurling pitch tonight. Absolutely freezing. Was wearing 4 layers - t-shirt, jumper, fleece and ski jacket - but the wind cut through like I was wearing a cotton t-shirt only....

Yep Rebelbrowser i feel your pain!

Also the so called 'temperature' at 7 degrees was a joke as when you include the wind chill Met Eireann says it feels more like -3 which makes a lot more sense.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very windy morning in Greystones with wild sea.

Same here in NCD and so dark, every light is on in the house!

I thought last night was bad at football ⚽️ sidelines.

Sweet Jaysus this morning takes the absolute biscuit🥶.Those easterly winds are atrocious.

Even the kids were freezing despite various layers, including thermal ones under their football kits.

Roll on the warmer weather.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pretty wild in Greystones with persistent wind for the last 12 hours or so, rather than very strong wind. Lots of sea water on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Shocking dark today. Middle of the day and all the lights are on. Much colder than the thermometer suggests too in the wind.

Still, it was nice enough week once Monday morning was over. Dry and sunny for most of the week.

dry and sunny it certainly wasn’t in my location for the week that’s for sure. Today another manky day cold dull rain on and off since mid morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Weather would put years on you.........

Dark, wet, dismal.

7⁰ Ratoath

After two dry days it's back to the rain,dark,cold and drizzling away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

Damp & Dreary in North Kildare today

Horrible night lashing rain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Spent a few hours this morning availing of the very low tides on the Kerry coast rummaging around for old bottles and pottery ( found a few ) , cold wind under grey overcast skies would certainly keep you on the move, after a couple of hours the wind rose up making it feel quite cold where it wasn't sheltered but still great to be out. Great drying over the last few days here, tomorrow hope to get the back garden cut with the ride on lawn mower, the ground just about dry enough to mow and being that bit soft is a good chance to use the mower to act as a roller and even out the winter bumps caused by the ground swelling. Looks like a bit of rain in Munster on Monday but hopefully not much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Absolutely no end to the cold, grey, overcast weather at the moment in Cork. Last Tuesday was amazing, lovely day, but dismal ever since really. Trying to brighten but no sun and absolutely no warmth.

No sun forecast for days and days either.

Been like this since the weather broke in June last year. Absolutely miserable, **** sick of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

Pleasant day in Lanzarote, 22° and partly cloudy with a very light breeze. Good walking weather.

Another manky cold, wet, dark March day and no let up in the unsettled conditions any time soon unfortunately. The only good news is that it will become much milder over the coming week.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Robwindstorm

A muck of a day. Farmers who were told to get their cattle out to grass in February to save costs are now being told to rethink this strategy due to recent wet springs.

There will probably be drought conditions for 4 to 5 weeks which is the norm now. I just hope it waits a little longer to midsummer instead of coming early in late spring and then bust for the summer.

Enjoy the holiday highdef.

• Advertisement
Advertisement