Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,259 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Abstaining

There's a bang of covid "substantial meal" off "durable relationship"

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

Voting NO for both

I was utterly confused and considered for the 1st time in my life not utilising my vote.

However, having listened, read and studied the language of the proposals, I have to say I am still utterly confused. The only thing I can say is that the language used is ambiguous and appears designed to cause confusion. In that sense and the fact that I do not trust this government, I will be voting No.

Is there a chance that they'll use the confusing language to do a re-run of these referendums like the did with the Lisbon Treaty when they didn't get the result the wanted from the 1st vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Voting NO for both

We're literally running a referendum for bigamists tomorrow. What a country.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bigamy+at+christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Voting NO for both

What way does polling suggest the vote will go?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Voting YES for both

No we're not. Bigamy is illegal. Bigamy will continue to be illegal.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Voting YES for both

Polling suggests they could go either way buy that there is huge confusion. I think it will be a Yes to Family and No to Care.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Voting NO for both

until someone successfully challenges the law in the supreme court on the basis of asserting their durable relationships

Voting NO for both

Bigamy is illegal but durable relationships will be up to the courts?

Gimme a break! What a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Voting NO for both

I think we can add "strive" to the official list of weasel words.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Voting NO for both

Was surprised to see the poll results, thought I was in the minority (know its only a small selection in here) for No/No. Voting no in carers as read so many stories of carers asking for a no vote, seems so dodgy and that the state want to leave them high and dry and 'strive' to help. The family one I was leaning to yes, but the more I looked into it the vaguer it seemed, so erring on side of caution to let them tie it down a bit better. Also pain in my hoop with them saying its for women on International Womens day, as a woman who works its made a mess for me tomorrow to sort as kids school is a polling station so closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Voting NO for both

Varadkar wrongly suggested that the care referendum will compel the government to grant greater supports to carers. So what has stopped them until now? Would supporting carers have until now been unconstitutional? If the care amendment is passed, will we see a myriad of new financial and institutional supports suddenly intorduced to support the important work of carers on Saturday? Will we bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Voting NO for both

Voting no for both.

After Mcentees performance last night I don’t trust any of these gombeens.

She is the worst minister for justice, how did she get get that brief?

What a waste of time and money this has been, trying to distract from the shambles they are doing with everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Voting NO for both

Why hasn’t that spoofer O Gorman made any public appearances on tv? I’ll tell ya why he’d be found out for the lying toad that he is. The minister in charge of this referendum being kept off the airwaves tells you all you need to know about this Sh1t show. Threatening NGOs at the start of the campaign regarding funding if they don’t push for a yes vote. Trojan horse is what these proposals are.

Voting NO for both

Honest question to everyone: Has Roderic O'Gorman participated in a single broadcast debate on either referendum?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Am I missing something in the difference between "the State should endeavour to ensure" and "shall strive to support"? People saying that the state might wash their hands of care support but how is it any different to the current wording where they're not obliged either?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Photobox

Voting NO for both

I dont think I have ever heard Roderic O Gorman speak about anything full stop. Its always carefully arranged photo opportunities. Nothing else.

Voting NO for both

Why change the wording then. Unless you’re changing everything. Endeavour to ensure looks a lot more certain than strive to support does to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Voting YES for both

Current wording refers to the woman's place in the home. Updated wording will remove that and refer to care instead. It's stupid to me that they did it this way (I'd have preferred remove and then a more detailed care clause in future, but here we are)

Voting NO for both

If the referendums are defeated on Saturday, I hope there will be pressure on O'Gormon to step down. He was the chief architect of all of this nonsense and bizarrely went into hiding during the campaign. Whether you support the amendments or not, I think it was his duty to advoate to the public why the amendments should be passed- it's astonishing he could 'dissapear' like he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Photobox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Voting NO for both

He should have resigned last week when the revelations about kids going missing in Tusla broke.

All hush hush about such a serious incident.

Voting NO for both

Politicians rarely resign in Ireland. In fact the more useless they are the more they're protected. Varadkar & O'Gorman are living proof of that.

Voting NO for both

The chair of the electoral commission has already told Catherine Martin and the rest it does not say that.

Voting NO for both

I agree- I realistically think there is zero chance of O'Gorman falling on his sword in the event of a decisive No/No vote. It's probably more likely he will come out fighting and blame the result as a "far-right" conspiracy, or the result of "online misinformation".

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

Voting NO for both

Not 1 of the yes voters will respond to that lol

Voting NO for both

There is none so blind as those that do not want to see.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's a bit of a semantics really, as they're largely synonyms. I'd have thought strive involved more effort (which seems to be the intention behind the wording).

They probably should have left it as "endeavour" to avoid people trying to distinguish the miniscule interpretation of the word and leaving more doubt.

As to durable relationships - that's the sort of wording that can't be locked down in a constitution itself handily I think (as it can morph) but certainly should have been nailed down more by accompanying legal clarity.

They don't have to implement the referendum change immediately either so there's a missed chance for them to say that it won't be enacted until there's accompanying legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Voting NO for both

Minister for Social Protection allowed to waffle at length on RTE radio this morning, dismissing any concerns about the meaning of durable relationships and if I heard correctly rehashed the trope that the current constitution has women working at home etc. She was challenged in a rather half hearted way by the host, no debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Voting YES for both

It literally refers to a woman's place in the home...

2     1° In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.

2° The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

I'm not saying that it obliges a woman to stay at home, but there is a direct reference to a woman's life being in the home. That's antiquated and sexist language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Voting NO for both

OGorman will be debating Peader tobin on 1 o'clock news on rte radio 1

Advertisement