Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I'm voting no.

Because of the housing crisis.

I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

I can't see how the family referendum will pass- the past week or so has outlined countless examples of how it is open to confusion, challenge and abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ridiculously this is still the law.

It's a form of censorship and should be removed.

The moratorium only covers broadcast media from 2pm today- so all sides can still physically canvas for votes, and all print media can still publish referendum-based content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

The Government has not ignored the protests. It has executed a massive U-turn on migration. If you haven't noticed, then you can thank the media for sparing the Government's blushes.

Were these referendums a way to keep Roderick busy while his major priority - ending Direct Provision and making accommodation a human right for asylum seekers - has disappeared from the agenda?

The politicians could not care less about these amendments that they slavishly voted through the Oireachtas but they hate the idea of getting their asses handed to them by voters three months before the local and European elections which will be followed by a general election (the be-all and end-all!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

Your claim that the Constitution(read as a whole document) guarantees the State must do as much as possible to ensure woman don't work is wrong. I'm happy to leave at that.

Except that is the exact opposite of what I said! The state will do as much as they can to ensure they DON'T HAVE TO work outside the home due to financial need is what the Constitution says.

You are just continuing the misrepresentation that the Constitution says a women's place is in the home and they have no choice in the matter.

There will be an obligation on the government to strive to support the provision of care by family members. There is currently no obligation on the government to do that. The woman taking the current case would be in a position to take the case on whether the State is vidicating its Constitutional obligation to do that. But it will go further, by allowing people beyond mothers take a case.

The government will have no legal obligation under the Constitution to provide care in the home. The word "home" will no longer be in the Constitution in relation to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭OrangeBadger

I'm gonna vote maybe

I was wondering where the Green Party had gone. As far as I can see they have not debated this at all in public? Does anyone even know who the Green Party member responsible for overseeing the referendum campaign is?

edit: Looking forward to that debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Check out the thread on Farming, videos from Una McGurk of all people and one poster banned for disagreeing!

Marie Baker is excellent on the current state of the law but she has to prevaricate on the effects of the family amendment - "that may have to be looked at again" and "probably" i.e. can't definitively rule out hypothetical scenarios. She missed the point about the "available care" question - the HSE will reduce the level of home help if there is a family member available to provide care. There's a simple answer is to this, and to all other practical questions about the care amendment - this amendment will not help you in any way.

She did make one definite mistake, surprising for the Head of our Electoral Commission. When asked about the legality of the rushed referendum process (at 12:30), she says "the Bills have been through the Oireachtas, signed by the President and the date was fixed". In fact, Referendum Bills are not signed by the President until they are approved by the People in a referendum. If the People vote No, these Bills will have no legal effect whatever and no "afterlife". If the Government want to re-run the referendums, they have to go through the whole Oireachtas process again.

I always said that the Yes, Yes side were aiming for a very low turnout because these amendments are patent nonsense so apathy is their only friend. But Pat says the queries were "flooding in" and he had a "huge number" about having two relationships at the same time. I think we will see a decent turnout tomorrow (>30%). Even if the Yes side squeaks home, the politicians will get a strong message from the absolute number of NO votes.

• Advertisement

If the Yes side "squeaks home" as you mention I think the governement won't care less about a large minority No vote- the yes side has ran an abysmal campaign and it would celebrate any victory no matter how undeserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Prob a relief for the “Yes” side- the less they say the less damage they can do to their campaign.

I reckon it’s headed No now. The past few days have really cemented the No side

More relevantly and more importantly, social media can continue to debate the referendums in the usual no-holds-barred style.😛

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Photobox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Except that is the exact opposite of what I said! The state will do as much as they can to ensure they DON'T HAVE TO work outside the home due to financial need is what the Constitution says.

You are just continuing the misrepresentation that the Constitution says a women's place is in the home and they have no choice in the matter.

But the State wont do as much as they can to ensure women don't have to work outside of the home. You have admitted that.

Do you think the current government are doing as much as they possibly can to ensure women who are carers don't have to work?

Absolutely 100% they are not

I never claimed the Constitution says a women's place is in the home. My point was that your claim that the Stat will do as much as possible to ensure women don't need to work outside of the home is wrong. Ther is no onus on the State to do that, hence the reason no case arguing that has ever been won.

The government will have no legal obligation under the Constitution to provide care in the home. The word "home" will no longer be in the Constitution in relation to care

I know, hence the reason i never said they did. As I said, the government will have a legal obligation to make some attempt to provide care for families who have a member who is disabled. That doesn't exist under the current Constitution.

The only thing I think can damage the No side is sheer apathy- I've spoken to plenty of people who disagree with the referendums and think they are nonsense, but it's hard to see some of these same people actually bothering to turn up and vote.

But the State wont do as much as they can to ensure women don't have to work outside of the home. You have admitted that.

If the Article is removed.

I never claimed the Constitution says a women's place is in the home. My point was that your claim that the Stat will do as much as possible to ensure women don't need to work outside of the home is wrong. Ther is no onus on the State to do that, hence the reason no case arguing that has ever been won.

There is in Article 41.2. And, again, I never ever claimed the state will do as much as possible!

I know, hence the reason i never said they did. As I said, the government will have a legal obligation to make some attempt to provide care for families who have a member who is disabled. That doesn't exist under the current Constitution

No the state will have no legal obligation. And yes it does under Article 41.2 which applies equally to the care provided by a parent to a family member who is or is not disabled.

Normally this would be true but the politicians will be knocking on doors in May and June asking for votes. They will hate the idea that masses of voters went to the polls to give the politicians a kicking for proposing nonsense amendments to the people's Constitution.

You think the Nice and Lisbon referendums were defeated by a "right-wing" constituency? Admittedly, there was a clear link between the "right-wing deviationists" and the Trotskists (People before Profit) but I doubt many Irish voters understand that.🤣

There was a massive No vote in the second divorce referendum which passed only because the weather in Donegal was appalling that day. Do you think that a "huge right-wing constituency" has been unrepresented for almost 30 years?

I guarantee that these referendums won't be re-run if they are defeated because every politician knows they are nonsensical, futile and unpopular. Roderick and Mary-Lou say they will re-run them but who would you trust?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Peader Tobin very clear , concise , eloquent he is wiping the floor with OGorman.

OGorman doesn't even know what his own referendum is about. We have coalition contradicting each other Left right and centre when a micro phone is put in front of them.

Yes voters be careful what you vote for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Unsurprisingly, a dreadful performance from O'Gorman on the news here re: the referendum

Hasn't a breeze that lad. Not a fcukin breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

65/35 would be a massive (and well-earned) kick in the pants for our politicians as a class. I could count on the fingers on one hand the politicians who have called for No.

Turnout will be crucial - the higher the better for No, No.

It's amazing the number of people who think politicians don't care about voters. Politicians care above all about getting votes.

If this is defeated, there will be serious post-mortems in all the political parties. Officially, of course, they'll say "we just wanted to get rid of sexist language but we accept the verdict of the People. We must consider again how our Constitution should reflect our values and our society".

Behind closed doors, the rank and file will say to the party leaders

"WTF!!! We have local and European elections coming up and now we've pissed off our voters for nothing!! We worked for years to help families and carers but you landed us with these BS amendments out of the blue and dragooned us into the voting lobbies in Leinster House."

The party leaders will think "You went quietly into the voting lobbies and then betrayed the party because you never went out to canvass". But the leaders will say to their party members "People will forget this quickly because we will drop it like a hot potato and all the other parties will do the same. The media will play along. Aontú might pick up some first preferences from us but they'll come back to us in the later counts." (that last bit might not work for Mary Lou at the SF Ard Comhairle 😏)

In the back of their minds, all the parties will think - Let's sort Michael McDowell when we square the Supreme Court on the University seats."

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well, if "durable relationships" comes into force expect a lot of cases in the High Court as a result of this. I saw elsewhere that if you go to the courts service website and type durable relationships and click the Judgement text option you get 40 cases where it is in the text. All of them bar one are for people suing the Minister for Justice and seeking residency.

You can take a look at all the 40 judgements so far here. After a quick browse, I think it's clear why the Immigration NGOs want to insert "durable relationships" into the referendum.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

What do you mean you never claimed the State will do as much as possible? This is what you said yesterday.

The state will honour it's guarantee by doing all it can to ensure that lack of money will not prevent a mother to have to join the labour force which would have a detrimental effect on the common good and therefore society.

You have then subsequently said the state haven't honoured that guarantee. I'm confused.

No the state will have no legal obligation. And yes it does under Article 41.2 which applies equally to the care provided by a parent to a family member who is or is not disabled

They will. This is the proposed amendment

The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to Society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision.

It provides that the State shall strive to support the provision of care by families. It is the first time the State will have a Constitutional obligation to involve themselves in striving to provide care.

The current definition states

The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

The current Constitution clearly states that provision of care within the family is the sole responsibility of the mother(or father). The only responsibility on the State is to ensure they endeavour to provide some level of money for that.

There's no responsibility for the State to strive to provide support to for medical help, for money for adaptive accomodation changes, educational supports etc. The proposed amendment opens the door for cases to be taken by family members to push for those kinds of support.

Finally, the current definition only covers a parent caring for their child. Care provided by married couples without kids, brother and sisters, parents to their grandparents etc are all excluded but with the new proposed amendment they would be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The apathy is more a Yes issue- the level of anger with this government is palpable and this referendum is the only lightning rod they’ve had in years - all the No’s I’ve met are highly motivated and baying to give them a bloody nose

The problem with people like O'Gorman today and McEntee last night, is that they are a new breed of politician who just do not, or indeed cannot, debate. Virtually all of their interaction with the media is carefully crafted soundbites facilitated by mainstream journalists and they are very insulated from any real interaction with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Doubt it

I'm guessing

Family ref Yes 51 No 49

Care ref Yes 49 No 51

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Plus resorting to emotional blackmail , will someone think of children if its a No vote .

Advertisement