Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,535 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Love the way Australia always seem to really step it up at Eurovision 🙂

Here’s their entry for this year…

Positive shout-out to Fleetwood Mac in the lyrics too…in your face, Reynolds Girls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭supereurope

I'm glad that Electric Fields are finally going to Eurovision, but the last thing Bambie needed was another strong contender in semi 1.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Prefered the cheesy eighties and death growls from last year.

Probably will do well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

I must be missing something, that Australian song is just bland. Strong possibility of a non qualifier in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭squonk

It’s an OK song but yeah nothing compared to last years every really. It’s just slightly above middle of the road for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Apparently music video for Doomsday Blue will be released on Youtube on Friday morning. Can't wait to see it.

I see there is a lot of negativity and pessimism starting to grow around Bambie's chances of qualifying but I think despite the tough draw we'll qualify. I think the staging and performance will be captivating and memorable to get votes and the song is decent.

Looking forward to the video too, hopefully it's a good one and will give the song a bit of a boost.

Iceland and Australia picking duds this week is good for Bambie too.

I'm a little late to the party, but I finally listened to "Dizzy" earlier this evening. I'd like to say I have a different opinion to most others, but I'm afraid I have to join the masses and say that it is underwhelming. As Terry Wogan used to say "It goes nowhere."

It doesn't help that expectations were sky-high...the biggest star to represent the UK in years, an early (for the BBC) announcement to build the hype up, and a reveal made on one of the BBC's biggest shows. We all expected a lot from this, and I think most reviewers feel they haven't been met. For me, the song just lacks oomph and a bit of a wow factor. But who knows, maybe the staging will bring "Dizzy" to life. Olly's vocal is going to be very important here as well, and there seems to be mixed reviews of his live vocal ability with Years & Years.

It's funny how Lithuania and Switzerland are both sending Olly Alexander-style acts this year, and they both do "Olly Alexander at Eurovision" better than Olly Alexander.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm slightly biased towards Lithuania as my OH is Lithuanian (and we'll be watching all 3 shows in Lithuania this year (so voting for Bambi (maximum times))), but their song is actually growing on me.... a lot... I still ashamedly don't understand a whole lot of Lithuanian, despite living there for 18 months 12 years ago, and visiting regularly enough since to the stage we have a house there now.. (our son even knows more than me).. but it doesn't really matter, as it's just a really catchy tune..

Their staging will probably be simple enough, which will be fine as the song itself will be doing the heavy lifting (which any song rightfully should be doing). The U.K.'s staging will probably be amazing, but you get the sense that if the song does well, it'll be how it's staged that does the heavy lifting, carrying along a generic enough track.. but it's downfall will be lack of a live performance in a semi final...

I think if Ireland get through the semi-final (of death), there'll be great buzz generated over the next few days before the final....

I think we will qualify for the final. and if we do, I think we are easily top 5. I genuinely believe we could win it. (spidey senses are tingling - in the midst of the RTÉ payments scandal/farce how apt would it be to win).

It's all on RTÉ now to stage it right. Fcuking go for it.

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

Love the optimism but honestly I think we'll do well to make the final. If we qualify and manage mid table I'll be delighted with that.

It's a very strong year and the song is divisive.

Hopefully Bambie can do something amazing with the staging though. You never really know until rehearsals start.

Agree Lithuania is a massive grower, I didn't really get it at first but it's one of my favourites now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm more than a bit surprised Doomsday Blue is getting written off in the fan world as a NQ. It's a song and performance that grabs your attention from the first few seconds....even the visuals are striking.

As for Lithuania, I notice it's doing very well on Spotify streams - could definitely be a contender (though there are a number of big uptempo bangers this year up against it).

I think the horrible draw has a lot to do with it, we're in that first half with the top two favourites for the whole competition, and countries with a big diaspora vote.

If we were second half, with a decent running order and weaker songs around us, I think we'd qualify fairly easily.

I think we can do it but it's definitely not guaranteed.

But it's very much a standout song, visual and performance. A lot of the stuff in this semi is bland and mainstream (decent enough songs admittedly but still very safe and predictable). Hard to believe an act as striking as Bambie would drop outside the top 10 in a 100% televoting semi. We've heard and seen songs like Cyprus, Serbia, Slovenia, Iceland, Luxembourg, Australia, Moldova etc a million times before in Eurovision.

It will be a tough ask to qualify.

I'd wager the overall winner will come from our semi-final.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Is this going to be like the Ireland Scotland game in the Rugby World Cup, beforehand it was all 'If Scotland do this' or 'If that happens' the game was over in 5 minutes.

I thought That's Rich was hard done by a few years ago, but that was a borderline qualifier even before the competition, provided we get a good performance and a decent staging, that should be enough to qualify.

I was at that game with my son for his first ever game. epic...

I thought Get Rich was utterly horrendous.... abysmal 2nd rate trash pop.... probably our worst entry since Dustin

In my opinion the best song we sent over the last 10 years was Ryan O'Shaughnessy... and it qualified. If any recent Irish song was hard done by it was Playing With Numbers...

Most of those countries you listed are non qualifiers for me, but realistically we're not going to get more than 5 qualifiers from the first half (maybe 6 at a push but that's rare).

Croatia, Ukraine and Lithuania are sailing through. Poland highly likely as its a decent song and they have all the diasopa/neighbour countries they could want voting in this semi.

There's a market for a big Balkan ballad so Serbia are probably safe, plus they have Croatia and Slovenia voting in the same semi.

If we get placed second or third it will be even more difficult.

There will be worse songs than ours qualifying for sure (pretty much anything from the second half!).

Very frustrating the way the draw has worked out!

The only songs in the first semi-final that I can't see a path to the grand final for are Iceland and Luxembourg.

Iceland has a great singer in Hera, but the song is dated and nothing special. Bashar, the Palestinian singer who took part in the Icelandic NF, would have been a guaranteed qualifier, but his song wasn't very good either. It would have cleaned up with sympathy votes though. Interestingly, Wiki has changed Iceland's entry from Hera to 'TBC.' It seems that the writer of Bashar's song is claiming voting irregularities.

I feel sorry for Luxembourg. It's their first time competing since Millstreet in 1993 and it would be great to see them back in the grand final, but their song is, as the kids say, 'mid.' There is nothing outstanding about it. Shame, since RTL staged a great national final.

All the others have a chance, unfortunately.

The other really 'mid' song in our semi-final is Moldova. Again, nothing special about it, but Moldova knows how to stage its entry and get the televotes in. The loss of Romania might help them too, while they'll be no 12 points from Romania this year, the Romanian diaspora might switch their loyalty to Moldova. It would be shame if this went through though (Natalia didn't deserve to qualify in 2007 but she did.)

Finland's entry might be the worst song of the year and a horrible reminder of how bad the contest became in the 2000s, but it's pure televote fodder and will easily qualify. Ukraine could send a barking dog and still qualify, but this year it's one of the hot favourites. Serbia is nothing special but it has its Balkan neighbours in the same semi to vote for it. Likewise, Slovenia has Serbia and Croatia to vote for it. And of course, Croatia is the hot favourite to win the whole thing.

Lithuania is another (deserved) favourite, plus it has a diaspora vote. Cyprus is sending the same sort of thing it's been sending for years, but they do seem to manage to qualify, with only a bad vocal knocking them out in 2022. Poland has a strong diaspora vote. Australia tends to get more jury love than televote love, but should be safe. We don't know Azerbaijan's song yet, but they nearly always qualify, and are happy to do it by any means necessary. We don't know Portugal's song yet either, but they've had a great few years in the contest and have been sending strong entries.

So sadly, pretty much every country bar Iceland and Luxembourg has a path to the final.

I think you're overestimating the diaspora factor a little : Finland and Australia won the two semi finals last year (100% televoting) : neither country has any diaspora in Europe at all to speak of.

I'm not saying you need a diaspora to win, but it does massively help you to qualify.

If you look at the stats, Lithuania and Poland get high points from Ireland and the UK in every year that its possible for us to vote for them.

The juries watered that down, but now they're gone from the semi finals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I wouldn't be ruling out Luxembourg so fast. I've seen a lot of speculation that they'll be given the pimp slot in their semi final, which would make sense after being away so long. Plus they'll probably get a few votes after being away so long too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭corkie

Premieres 8 Mar 2024 @ 09:00 Have 'they' drop the forehead symbol?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Link is in Hebrew, but Israel have apparently been given the green light to take part 😵‍💫

https://www.kan.org.il/content/kan-news/culture/717611/

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Oh God, that's all we need. The next 2 months are going to be non-stop calls for boycotts of the contest. Country's artists are gonna be hounded on social media to withdraw or make statements condemning Israel or the EBU. It has started already if you look at comments on Bambie Thug's latest posts on Twitter/X...

This, unfortunately, is going to overshadow everything and everyone in Malmö.

Unfortunately, you're right. A wave of nostalgia might see them safe. Shame, since the song isn't deserving of a final slot.

We're in for a huge treat with the Doomsday Blue preview video - it's like something straight out of a Harry Potter movie 😎

Azerbaijan has revealed their participant - Fahree. No song reveal yet.

A surprise choice, since it was widely expected that Aisel would represent Azerbaijan again. She previously did in 2018, and failed to qualify from the same semi as Ryan. Might have been a good omen for Bambie!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I see she was giving out that the radio stations were't playing the song, called herself a national treasure.

Completely deluded.

The semi final results will probably be a reality check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement